HSV Forum

Page 2 of 18 First << 123412 ... Last >>
    Walkinshaw #1 did not originally have solid c pillars. Its important to keep this car and any other special build HSV/ Holden's history correct. It does have solid c pillars now but please don't confuse it with being an original fitment because it isn't

Question

No worries, we all have our opinions. It all depends what your definition of "collectable" is, & to what degree of "collectability" you are referring to.
    If you are just talking about a car that would be nice to own, then many cars can fit into that category...just because it's a nice car, it's got a few nice features etc, does not mean that it will ever be collectable.
    A 20th anniversary Maloo is on that list....what is special about that...it is simply another "sticker special" from HSV, same as the 5th anniversary "specials".....I simply do not see these types of cars as ever being "collectable" in the true sense of the word.
    They cannot be considered to be in the same league as something like a VN group A which is the sort of car I consider "collectable".
    I guess we have different views about what "collectable" means.
    Cheers, Pickles.
    Last edited by Pickles; 17-02-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HSVGTS125 View Post
    Walkinshaw #1 did not originally have solid c pillars. Its important to keep this car and any other special build HSV/ Holden's history correct. It does have solid c pillars now but please don't confuse it with being an original fitment because it isn't
    I remember the "C Pillar Issue"!
    The Walkinshaw was originally designed with them, but they did not pass ADRs, so the car was released without them.
    However, the "solid" piece that covered the rear quarter became a collector's item....I remember the then President of the HSVOC, a Walkinshaw "fanatic", sourced a couple, & fitted them to his car....can you buy them today?
    Cheers, Pickles.

Thanks for the input mate, I have modified the list. I did read that when the bodykit was originally designed by Walkinshaw it had the solid pillars and was then dropped because it didnt make ADR's or racing regulations ? Would like to know more if you have the time. Where did the idea of the solid windows originate then, and do you know why would the owner after you fit these if not original ???. Interesting, thanks again.

edit, Martin posted at the same time. Answered my question. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sv90 View Post
    Thanks for the input mate, I have modified the list. I did read that when the bodykit was originally designed by Walkinshaw it had the solid pillars and was then dropped because it didnt make ADR's or racing regulations ? Would like to know more if you have the time. Where did the idea of the solid windows originate then, and do you know why would the owner after you fit these if not original ???. Interesting, thanks again.

edit, Martin posted at the same time. Answered my question. Thanks
    Apparently it gave the walkinshaw less drag with sold c pillars. I don't like the look of them personally. The new owner likes the prototype look. #1 was built on 4th of january 88 (has dec 87 compliance plate) so the decision was already made/ reversed before production began. You can check old photo's I posted on here to see how it was when I had it. But like pickles said they are out there and can be sourced and put on vehicles. SV90 what would you like to know about it? But to get back on track of the topic, I believe the vn club sport would be a collectable in the original batch of silver. Not a fan but surely a raw piece of special history. Maybe even the vg/ vp maloo? HSV seemed to have more attention to detail back then

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Who knows what will happen in the future....but I don't think many cars on that list are very special at all....sure, some of them are "desirable", but I don't think most of them will reach any sort of "collectable" stature any more so than say a nice 5L HZ Premier, or a VB SLE 310 Pack.....nice cars, but nothing REALLY special about them.
    So, from that list I predict the following will achieve a "collectable" status:
    VN Group A...in strictly homologation form...no leather, no sunroof, no cruise.
    Walkinshaw VL Group A
    Coupe 4
    W427
    I mean a "VN SS enhanced 110 pack".....ya gotta be jokn'
    Cheers, Pickles.
    Pickles,
    Based on GTHO style collectability you are correct a VN SS enhanced pack will not be a modern Phase III.
    But I do have to say that these other cars although not A9x/GTHO style of cars will be 'HIGHLY Desirable' as time goes on thus pumping their value up way beyond what they are worth now to an extent.

Back to one HSV in the shed... But its a Gen F GTS so I arent complaining!!

i also reckon the HSV GTO Signature edition and the Coupe 4...and hopefully the Z Series GTO Coupe

Apparently it gave the walkinshaw less drag with sold c pillars. I don't like the look of them personally. The new owner likes the prototype look. #1 was built on 4th of january 88 (has dec 87 compliance plate) so the decision was already made/ reversed before production began. You can check old photo's I posted on here to see how it was when I had it. But like pickles said they are out there and can be sourced and put on vehicles. SV90 what would you like to know about it? But to get back on track of the topic, I believe the vn club sport would be a collectable in the original batch of silver. Not a fan but surely a raw piece of special history. Maybe even the vg/ vp maloo? HSV seemed to have more attention to detail back then
    Thats fine mate, I got all the details now, thanks.

if you look at history (because history does repeat), the car that went most crazy in price was the GTHO Phase 3 as it was the fastest 4 door production car of its time.

in my opinion i think anything with the C4B motor made before 2003 (sat VTII thru to VXII) would have a good chance of being worth something one day, as they were the fastest 4-door production car in the world until the supercharged AMG Mercedes was released around 2002 or 2003.

im sure theres plenty of the other models that will be worth money too, but like i said im just looking at wat has happened in the past..

just my 2 cents..

Quote Originally Posted by VX SV300 View Post
    if you look at history (because history does repeat), the car that went most crazy in price was the GTHO Phase 3 as it was the fastest 4 door production car of its time.

in my opinion i think anything with the C4B motor made before 2003 (sat VTII thru to VXII) would have a good chance of being worth something one day, as they were the fastest 4-door production car in the world until the supercharged AMG Mercedes was released around 2002 or 2003.

im sure theres plenty of the other models that will be worth money too, but like i said im just looking at wat has happened in the past..

just my 2 cents..
    Thats a fair call but not the whole reason the Phase 3 is australia's muscle car king and is why you cant compare a C4B GTS with a GTHO. I know your not making a direct comparison but more things come into play with GTHO other than being the fastest 4 door.

Without having to debate the reason why its not comparable on this alone, the GTHO has race heritage by direct link to bathurst by being a proper homologation special plus it won the great race itself. There is the usual limited build numbers etc that alot of HSVs have but the GTHO was also the end of the line for true performance cars at the height of the musclecar era. Factory special vehicles of that pedigree were axed before the next model could be put into production and offically killed the true aussie muscle car while Ford were at the top of their game. So this pretty much made the GTHO an instant true collector even though it took decades for it to sink in.

Thread Information