HSV Forum

Page 71 of 72 First << ... 216169707172 Last >>
    There's around a $US20k price difference in the states between a 2SS and ZL1. There's no way, even with LCT, that it equates to a price tag that's more than double what the 2SS is selling for now. The Corvette could be sold for 200+ but a Camaro ZL1 should be $150 tops. Even with the 1LE pack, it should be anywhere near 200k... anyway, we're getting way off track for Graeme's thread!

I googled ZL1 2019 was 68k now 58k???
    Thats about 100k in aust then the conversion.
    Take some taxes out add some profit.
    I get my price, being GTSR money.
    An amg or 911 is not that costly unless
    you pay aust taxes LCT etc.
    The ZL1 could surely not cost 220k unless you start buying 15k supershocks when 3k shocks are 90% as good. Cheers
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 19-12-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    is it black by any chance?

30 HSV's, what an amazing journey you have shared
    Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    I think his colour of choice is red
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    this maybe???

ZL1 spied in Melbourne???

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/che...JcERbZ17fUG4os
    That link references my tongue-in-cheek comment - you can certainly see the red wing!

Looking forward to Graeme's update to follow

Was: E3 S/C Maloo
    Now: Audi RS3 (11.00 & 136MPH)

GR I might have missed it somewhere but whats the update/details on #30 in the garage?

Another two door in his garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_02 View Post
    Another two door in his garage.
    I gathered it might have been the maloo in his avatar.

Cheers

An interesting read. Go Graeme

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...l-story-116506

HSV: A personal story

A 30 year journey with any company is rare these days especially when it amounts to half your life

Owning 30 HSVs over 30 years says multitudes for the brand and how it's evolved in the Australian psyche, says Graeme Rutgers of Adelaide-based Special Vehicle Innovations.

The company is no longer*fettling locally-built Holdens, but it has entered a new phase, converting Chevrolets,*including the Camaro, to right-hand drive for Aussie consumers.

Graeme was recently guest of honour at HSV for his ongoing support of the marque. With him was his latest purchase, a Maloo GTS R – his 30th HSV and his 10th Maloo. He was good enough to provide an insight into his relationship with HSV, through its products and his ownership.

As a youngster during the 1960s and 70s, says Graeme, he became a die-hard Aussie car enthusiast. That fabulous era formed a backdrop to the whole SV concept first conceived by the Holden staff at Fishermans Bend – with Adelaide Holden Dealer, the late Vin Keane, as a facilitator and Peter Brock as the motivator for the HDT [Holden Dealer Team] brand.

"And yes," says Graeme, "I do have HDTs in my garage and forever will."

The birth of HSV

Following the demise of Holden's relationship with Brock in early 1987, John Crennan was tasked with finding a company to partner Holden for a new special vehicles entity.

Enter TWR.

An alliance of TWR [Tom Walkinshaw Racing] and GM's Aussie subsidiary provided an opening for Scottish race driver and team owner Tom Walkinshaw to broaden his motoring empire. The new business was to be known as Holden Special Vehicles, or HSV for short.

For its part, Holden saw an opportunity to engage an international special vehicle partner with experience – the TWR organisation was already involved with Jaguar and a couple of other makes in the UK, so the transition in a technical sense was a no-brainer for GM-H. The icing on the cake was the early engine and mechanical developments already undertaken by Holden insiders led by Crennan and John Lindell at Holden Motorsport.

Walkinshaw's team in Leafield UK hurriedly put together the wild VL SS Group A body styling that focused on aero over aesthetic, but 30 years on, that car is now an icon of the Australian special vehicle scene.

TWR's design team was originally headed by Ian Callum, who went on to style the next generation of models from the corporate headquarters in the UK or out of HSV's facility in Clayton, Victoria. Callum is now head of design at Jaguar.

At that point in time John Crennan was still at Holden, busily putting together the whole HSV Business case, which ultimately resulted in John himself taking the helm at HSV under TWR's ownership. Over the first two decades, HSV was a driven workplace, led by Crennan with the support of his lieutenants including race driver John Harvey (HSV's first employee), Steve Markwell, Chris Payne ... and a fabulous lady by the name of Marg Curtis, who kept them all on the straight and narrow.

"Such was my relationship with John," says Graeme, "that the now famous GTS R moniker and the original 1996 GTS R were inspired by [a discussion with Crennan] in January 1995, before its debut at the Sydney Motor Show the following October."

"There were many other liaisons over the years..." he continued. "For me, the HSV experience was far more than just cars; it was the connection to HSV that made my experience particularly special."

Graeme's admiration and respect for John Crennan extends to some of Crennan's initiatives, including the formation of the Holden Racing Team (HRT) and Holden by Design (HBD).

"John, with Marg Curtis, drove the marketing of HSV and HRT to become a million-dollar apparel juggernaut that was the envy of sport brand marketing in the automotive industry..."

"I'd hate to think what I spent on apparel and memorabilia in those heady years, but it was good stuff and we all had to have it."

The merchandise was the catalyst for "the next generation of... aspiring HSV owners."

But for a more mature fan like Graeme, it's not the hats and spray jackets, it's the people... and the cars.

"The sheer joy of owning 30 of Australia's finest HSVs is an experience that is probably too hard to put into any real context," he admits.

His 30th car "was always going to be a Maloo," he says. That choice was guided by "a comprehensive HSV performance summary in Sept 2017", which confirmed the Maloo GTS R "was the quickest Australian produced production car of all time."

His journey with HSV isn't ending with the Maloo GTS R, however. "Definitely not; there is also a number 31 and in the fullness of time there will be a 32nd."

The long list of loves

Graeme Rutgers says his highpoint during HSV's first three decades was his collaboration on the VS GTS R with John Crennan in 1995. His chief disappointment was the company's decision to axe the Monaro-based HRT 427 in 2003. And his one personal regret is that he didn't place an order for the Coupe4 when they were new.

Over time, he has purchased three Group A models, an SV89, four Senators, a Senator Estate (wagon), three of the long-wheelbase Grange, four of the GTS, a VS GTS R, two of the (Monaro) GTO, a W427 and 10 – count them – Maloos. His fondness for the utes is a legacy from his father.

The vehicles in chronological order of purchase are as follows:

1988 VL SS Group A,
    1990 VN SV 89,
    1994 VR Maloo,
    Another Maloo,
    VS GTS R,
    VS Senator,
    VS Grange 215,
    VT Senator,
    1997 VT GTS,
    1998 10th Anniversary Senator,
    VU Maloo,
    WH Grange,
    VT II Senator Estate,
    2000 VS III Maloo,
    VX GTS,
    VL Group A SS,
    VN Group A SS,
    2003 WK Grange,
    R8 Maloo,
    2005 R8 Maloo,
    2005 GTO,
    2006 GTO LE,
    VE GTS,
    2007 VE Maloo R8,
    2008 W427,
    2010 E2 GTS,
    2010 Maloo R8,
    2011 Anniversary Edition Maloo,
    2011 E3 Senator,
    Maloo GTS R.
    Toy 1 - 1997 Tickford EL GT #068
    Toy 2 - 2001 Tickford AU111 XR8 220kw manual
    Toy 3 - HSV VF GTS #1539 Heron White manual

Daily - 2002 HSV VY Clubsport R8 manual #185
    Daily - 2004 VZ Cross 8

Project - 1998 HSV VS11 at VT Maloo #082

Did u like the SV89? A mate bought one back in 1995. At the time i didnt really like it. I think it was ahead of its time for me OR the subtle look took 2 decades for me to like it. Either way i like them now.

Daily - 2004 VZ Cross 8

Quote Originally Posted by HSVGTS125 View Post
    Did u like the SV89? A mate bought one back in 1995. At the time i didnt really like it. I think it was ahead of its time for me OR the subtle look took 2 decades for me to like it. Either way i like them now.
    Great car and it had the most wicked intake box/noise that HSV ever did .... sadly they discontinued it soon after the 89 ...
    GR

Bite off more than you can chew .... then chew like hell to you've eaten it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Great car and it had the most wicked intake box/noise that HSV ever did .... sadly they discontinued it soon after the 89 ...
    Unfortunately I had that intake in my SV5000. During floods i bent a rod going thru a causeway. The water wasnt high but was high enough. Probably the dumbest thing i did but in my defence I didn't know it was there until it was too late

Daily - 2004 VZ Cross 8

Thread Information