HSV Forum

Page 2 of 3 First << 123 Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS575 Love View Post
    Even if the new pads are unusable when I have to replace the rotors, it will still be cost effective to get another 10,000+ k's from current rotors.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    You will be able to use the pads again when you change the rotors down the track. To get them flat & square again
    all you do is rub them over concrete.
    Disc rotors have a scrap thickness to keep you safe. If they overheat they can crack, and then break, and then you loose a wheel. I've personally never seen on a road car though. You'll be right till your ready for rotor change.
    Most modern rotors wear with the pad - softer rotor offers better bite for pads.
    Euro's like Golfs & Astras for example can go through rotors in less than 20,000 km's.
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    You will be able to use the pads again when you change the rotors down the track. To get them flat & square again
    all you do is rub them over concrete.
    Disc rotors have a scrap thickness to keep you safe. If they overheat they can crack, and then break, and then you loose a wheel. I've personally never seen on a road car though. You'll be right till your ready for rotor change.
    Most modern rotors wear with the pad - softer rotor offers better bite for pads.
    Euro's like Golfs & Astras for example can go through rotors in less than 20,000 km's.
    .. other Euros like Bimmers and AUDIs also chew rotors big time. I had to replace (NOT under wtty)
    the front pads and rotors on my missus' 2015 125i coupe after 2 years and about 25,000km
    BMW wanted the price of both my kidneys.... for genuine front rotors and pads (which spew black dust)
    DBA and Ferodo to the rescue .. about half the price but don't forget to spend the extra $20 on a genuine
    brake pad wear sensor cale coz when you replace pads on that series BMW, you have to tear the old one
    out to get the old pads out

and road cars can crack and break rotors! I did so on my old VX Clubbie. Did a track day at Sandown way back when
    .. damn thing cracked the front RH rotor, a piece tried to escape and jammed against the pads. Locked the wheel solid.
    Car was dragged back to the paddock, managed to jemmy the broken piece of rotor out. Clamped off the rubber fluid line
    and drove home with 3 wheel brakes ... carefully
    Last edited by Smitty; 18-10-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

and road cars can crack and break rotors! I did so on my old VX Clubbie. Did a track day at Sandown way back when
    .. damn thing cracked the front RH rotor, a piece tried to escape and jammed against the pads. Locked the wheel solid.
    Car was dragged back to the paddock, managed to jemmy the broken piece of rotor out. Clamped off the rubber fluid line
    and drove home with 3 wheel brakes ... carefully
    Now you're just bragging
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Always expect short brake life on automatic transmission vehicles if the driver does not use the transmission/engine as a downhill brake. We can be talking about a 50% reduction in an up/down area (live in one).

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    Now you're just bragging
    naaah... not really
    that also cost me an expensive SO2 Bridgie !
    drag one 'locked' at hi speed and you expose the steel belts
    plus of course have a massive flat spot on it
    = one rooted tyre
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by grange250 View Post
    Always expect short brake life on automatic transmission vehicles if the driver does not use the transmission/engine as a downhill brake. We can be talking about a 50% reduction in an up/down area (live in one).
    I'd rather replace pads and rotors (which are consumables) than a transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    I'd rather replace pads and rotors (which are consumables) than a transmission.
    I tell my customers all the time - gears are for going, the brakes do the stopping.....
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Had my VF GTS rotors ground by Adelaide ABS ,cost $120 for fronts, they just barely cleaned them up so they didn't remove anymore than necessary
    They do all the HSV dealers in Adelaide,I installed all new pads to all corners with machining to fronts only $1100, using OEM Pads

Got a set of Winmax W2 pads from Race Brakes Sydney. Have the done the bedding in procedure and can already tell they are a great pad. Fantastic bite. Big thanks to Matt at Race Brakes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Never had to replace a transmission from use; have had to replace because of radiator water leaking in the oil cooler. Had to have the transmission done again because the first auto place did not rectify the cause. Second shop told me the water ingress was many years old.

Thread Information