HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

VF GTS brake disc machining

Hi guys,

I have just ordered new front pads for my GTS from Matt at Race Brakes Sydney. He recommended I get the discs machined before the pads arrive. I'm struggling to find anyone that can do the 390mm discs.
    Can anyone recommend a shop in Melbourne?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Generally a car of this caliber rotor replacement with pads is recommended

Ill call around if u want it machined

I suggest you get them “ground” rather than traditional machining .... I’m unaware of Who does this outside of SA .... maybe google “Brake Disc Grinding” ... or talk to a machine shop who will be able to do them or will suggest someone that can ...
    GR

Bite off more than you can chew .... then chew like hell to you've eaten it!

Any decent mechanical repairs or brake shop will do disc machining.
    I would have the thickness measured however & then check scrap thickness.
    If the rotor is close to scrap thickness I would be replacing rotors as well......
    From memory scrap thickness is 33.5 mm's, so anything under 35 mm's before machining is in the bin IMHO...
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    Any decent mechanical repairs or brake shop will do disc machining.
    I would have the thickness measured however & then check scrap thickness.
    If the rotor is close to scrap thickness I would be replacing rotors as well......
    From memory scrap thickness is 33.5 mm's, so anything under 35 mm's before machining is in the bin IMHO...
    I will check the thickness but the car has only done 32,000k's. Surely the discs will last longer than that?

There's only 2mm of meat on them when new. They don't last a very long time but I would get some calipers on them before trying to find a shop that can do them.

There's probably a bit of life left in them but like Matt is suggesting, you should either get them cleaned up or replaced with new pads. You may end up wasting a bit of the rotor's life by changing pads at this stage. Then again, lots of guys on here have gone thru them pretty quick.

34.2mm. New pads are already in the mail from Race Brakes Sydney so I'm going to skip the machining, put the pads in and get the last bit of life out of the rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    There's only 2mm of meat on them when new. They don't last a very long time but I would get some calipers on them before trying to find a shop that can do them.

There's probably a bit of life left in them but like Matt is suggesting, you should either get them cleaned up or replaced with new pads. You may end up wasting a bit of the rotor's life by changing pads at this stage. Then again, lots of guys on here have gone thru them pretty quick.
    I'll be wasting some of the rotors life by matching them won't I? There is only 0.7mm of life left in them

you should be able to see yourself, if they look like chrome or have reasonable sized grooves you will not be stopping as good as you should or wear your new pads uneven, so then if your pads are to 50% and discs too thin ? guess they don't handle the heat as well or buckle,( love to see that on these huge suckers) then you could need to bin your half worn out pads and replace both anyway. Do the sums what does Matt sell the rotors for and pads? also if you do both then your set for a few years.

added, as Sniper says worst case have your rotors lightly machined, then your new pads will wear fine and you should be able to keep them after the inevitable rotor change. cheers.

second addition okay these suckers cost a lot, I really would be getting prices from Matt, then your machining and one and two stage fitting if you don't fit them yourself. Guess you would save a few dollars if you could take the rotors to a good machine shop and tell them exactly how much you want off. What happens if the rotors go 0.5mm below min thickness?

your discs have about 14,000km left. start using your gears on downshift more!
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 16-10-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Even if the new pads are unusable when I have to replace the rotors, it will still be cost effective to get another 10,000+ k's from current rotors.

Thread Information