HSV Forum

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last >>

Thread: New ZL1 owner

New ZL1 owner

Hey everyone, new member here, purchased a new ZL1 a few weeks ago. Absolutely love it. Looking at hopefully doing some mods in the near future. Just need to weed out the performance shops that know what they are doing with these cars. A well known performance shop made a mess of my GTSR to the point legal action was required to have it returned back to stock. Donít want to go threw that nightmare again with the ZL1.

Are there any members that have tickled their ZL1 yet? Who did you use and are you happy with the results?

Cheers,
    Steve

Hey Steve what state and city are you in?

Steve, you are a very lucky man, ZL1 is an awesome machine, I wouldn't be in any hurry to modify it at all.
    Pickles.

Fantastic car what color did you get?
    I've seen 1 in the flesh here in Australia they look aggressive, saw a few when I was in the US before as well, they make plenty of HP too.

We've done quite a few interchillers for them if you are interest, here is a few videos of a US workshop we do a lot of work with showing how well the chiller works on the LT4 http://www.cspracing.com/interchiller-central/

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Pickles,
    Thank you. I am extremely happy with my ZL1. The Alpha platform really is impressive. I do plan on doing a comparison post between the GTSR and ZL1 at some point as i still own both, there are a few positives towards the GTSR and a few positives for the ZL1. As for modifying it, my daily ride is a Suzuki Hayabusa. It sort of makes every car feel slow and this is why I do plan on modifying the ZL1 but want to weed out the performance shops that actually have experience with these cars.

GenF,
    I wanted a red one but all the dealers I spoke to had black, white and grey in stock for immediate delivery. The next available red one was a 8 week wait so went white over black / grey due to the upkeep required on dark colours. The white has now grown on me.

Do you own a performance shop? Whatís it called? Do you have a ZL1 that you have already modified that I can look at? From the experience I had with my GTSR I flat out refuse to commit to any performance shop till I have at least spoken to an owner that I will be having similar mods done.

The GTSR was a nightmare. I wanted a stage 2 kit that consisted of a full exhaust system, intake system, boost increase but was talked into their stage 4 package that included an upgraded camshaft and other things I canít remember. When I picked the car up from the shop, on the drive home it stalled countless times. I called the shop and was told itís normal till the computer learns and may take 500kms for it to come good. The following morning I couldn't even touch the accelerator peddle for a few minutes till the car warmed up otherwise it would stall. Again I was told this was normal. Long story short, legal action was taken and the car was returned to standard at their expense. I will NOT be going threw that nightmare again with the ZL1. I will want to see a customers car with mods up and running and talk to them before anyone touches the ZL1. If the shop also modifies GTSR's i would also consider having that modified shortly after if the results are as expected. Sorry for the long rant, it was a bad experience.

Hi Steve welcome to the forum. Im interested in reading your comparison.
    With no knowledge of your engine i would look at boost and cooling and not open the engine.
    They sound great stock! so I'm not sure I would touch the exhaust do they have a bimodal system?
    Cheers Andrew. gtsr

the question about state and city was to recommend a tuner and workshop, if your near Sydney, i can recommend one that a lot of guys on the forum including Genf use.

The biggest issue you will have is being able to tune the trans. Your computer will need to be sent to the states to be unlocked. If you don't do this, it will restrict what you can do quite a bit as it will be limited by the factory torque control parameters.

I think you're doing the right thing in being quite cautious in choosing a workshop. Not many would have played with a ZL1/LT4.

Quote Originally Posted by markalan1two View Post
    the question about state and city was to recommend a tuner and workshop, if your near Sydney, i can recommend one that a lot of guys on the forum including Genf use.
    I agree !

Quote Originally Posted by markost View Post
    I agree !
    Motor Torque in Brookvale

Thread Information