HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Anyone using E10 in their HSV LS3?

As the title suggests, is anyone doing this, and if so, what are the effects on performance, maintenance, engine life, and fuel economy?

Mine has been on a diet of 98 RON since new, but I now have access to a fuel card from work - but no premium fuel.

I don't want to use 91, but E10 is supposed to be compatible?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums

I like 'em LOUD

I'm almost certain on the fuel flap on my GTS-R is says E10 compatible - But it would be a cold day in hell before I put
    E10 in any of my cars, or 91 for that matter...
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    I'm almost certain on the fuel flap on my GTS-R is says E10 compatible - But it would be a cold day in hell before I put
    Yeah.
    Fuel flap on mine also says E10 compatible.
    91 is a hard No.

I'd consider 95, but the fuel card is limited to ULP, Diesel or E10.

I like 'em LOUD

This. I'd happily ditch the fuel card and pay for 98 myself.

nothing wrong with E10 is same as any fuel released for public use, we were selling fuel hose that was ethanol safe but found the new bp98 would make it perish inside so it had to be made to suit the fuel additives, E10 would be fine to use ethanol itself is better the just ron points

Quote Originally Posted by Senator30 View Post
    This. I'd happily ditch the fuel card and pay for 98 myself.
    Are either of you able to elaborate on your reasoning behind this?

Is 98 actually better or E10 actually worse in any way?

If the engine is designed for it, what's the risk?

If I'm going to ditch a fuel card - worth around $6k pa to me - I'd at least want to understand why.

I like 'em LOUD

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    nothing wrong with E10 is same as any fuel released for public use, we were selling fuel hose that was ethanol safe but found the new bp98 would make it perish inside so it had to be made to suit the fuel additives, E10 would be fine to use ethanol itself is better the just ron points
    I don't think straight ethanol is safe to use is it?

I like 'em LOUD

I suppose I'm old school & have seen first hand what E10 does to older vehicles so am stuck in my ways.
    (I know our cars are not "old" cars)
    EG: - when E10 came out & was actually cheaper then ULP so people started using it, & then mechanical workshops had a run of
    carby engine vehicles flooding. Any carby that had a rubber tip on the needle & seat the E10 would eat away.
    I lost count of the number of EFI vehicles that would get towed in with a fuel fault & you would
    cut the injector fuel rail in half & it would be completely blocked.
    I think using E10 on any tuned modern HSV would be just asking for trouble..
    Maybe ring HSV & ask the question - they'd know better than anyone??
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

ALL fuels when released to the public have to have many additives to stop corrosion ect even petrol needs it, ive been running E10 in my 96 corolla for maby 5 years now and have had no issues what so ever, i also have 400L of E98 im going to use in my GTS when the engine is built and been running E85 in it for bout 4 years, the only issue i can think of that catches many out is the early vehicles didnt have the proper rubber hoses and if u know petrol it leaves a residue in the tanks and lines and once u use ethanol for the first time it can dislodge this residue and it then gets caught in filters ect as the ethanol wont dissolve it only dislodge it, once everything is good ethanol dosnt corrode anything or cause any issues ive used 16 month old E85 which was also in my tank for 3 months to tune my engine on still showed 83% ethanol and no issues what so ever on 14psi boost.

ive got a mate using E85 in a mid 90's honda with metal tank all he has done is change pump and hose to rail and never had any issues even metal tank dosnt show any signs of rust or corrosion, ethanol has too many internet myths made by people that dont use it and just hear that its bad especially the water absorbing its not enough to be an issue ever, my GTS has a E10 sticker on the fuel cap so im sure its fine to use all it does is change the AFR from 14.68 to 14.1 which is well within limits as your trims will prob be out further then that as it is

I used P100 which has the same 10% ethanol content as E10 although higher octane rating. Best fuel I ever used, nil issues with it and made the most power consistently.

E10 is a 95 octane fuel so essentially the same as running 95, not 91. I wouldn't run 91 in any V8. If the car has been tuned for 98, then don't run 95.

Thread Information