HSV Forum

Page 2 of 2 First << 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    I suppose I'm old school & have seen first hand what E10 does to older vehicles so am stuck in my ways.
    (I know our cars are not "old" cars)
    EG: - when E10 came out & was actually cheaper then ULP so people started using it, & then mechanical workshops had a run of
    carby engine vehicles flooding. Any carby that had a rubber tip on the needle & seat the E10 would eat away.
    I lost count of the number of EFI vehicles that would get towed in with a fuel fault & you would
    cut the injector fuel rail in half & it would be completely blocked.
    I think using E10 on any tuned modern HSV would be just asking for trouble..
    Maybe ring HSV & ask the question - they'd know better than anyone??
    Thanks for the detail.

HSV just provide a standard, It's compatible as the engine has been "optimised" for a range of fuels, so it shouldn't be an issue, response.

I expect it will run fine, and I suppose I'm looking for real world feedback on whether anyone has done it and if there was any noticeable impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums

I like 'em LOUD

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    ALL fuels when released to the public have to have many additives to stop corrosion ect even petrol needs it, ive been running E10 in my 96 corolla for maby 5 years now and have had no issues what so ever, i also have 400L of E98 im going to use in my GTS when the engine is built and been running E85 in it for bout 4 years, the only issue i can think of that catches many out is the early vehicles didnt have the proper rubber hoses and if u know petrol it leaves a residue in the tanks and lines and once u use ethanol for the first time it can dislodge this residue and it then gets caught in filters ect as the ethanol wont dissolve it only dislodge it, once everything is good ethanol dosnt corrode anything or cause any issues ive used 16 month old E85 which was also in my tank for 3 months to tune my engine on still showed 83% ethanol and no issues what so ever on 14psi boost.

ive got a mate using E85 in a mid 90's honda with metal tank all he has done is change pump and hose to rail and never had any issues even metal tank dosnt show any signs of rust or corrosion, ethanol has too many internet myths made by people that dont use it and just hear that its bad especially the water absorbing its not enough to be an issue ever, my GTS has a E10 sticker on the fuel cap so im sure its fine to use all it does is change the AFR from 14.68 to 14.1 which is well within limits as your trims will prob be out further then that as it is
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I expect it should be safe in mine then.

I like 'em LOUD

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    I used P100 which has the same 10% ethanol content as E10 although higher octane rating. Best fuel I ever used, nil issues with it and made the most power consistently.

E10 is a 95 octane fuel so essentially the same as running 95, not 91. I wouldn't run 91 in any V8. If the car has been tuned for 98, then don't run 95.
    Thanks for that.

It has always been fed 98, but has a standard tune, and the fuel cap states "Premium" fuel and E10 compatible so a 95 Octane should be fine.

91 was never on my Radar as an option.

I like 'em LOUD

once u use ethanol u cant think of its ron number as the ethanol itself has way more benefit then just the octane it says, the e85 i use gets up to around the 110-115 octane but u will never get it to knock, ive had a pump fail going into boost and it leaned out that bad it missed enough to shutter the w**** driveline felt like it was going to fall out but as i was logging at the time still no signs of knock, 10% is good and 20% is all it needs to be at its best and any more percentage from that just adds to the cooling affect in the cylinder once ignited

Two thoughts ...

What about putting 50% E10 94/95 octane in and then you pay for 98 octane. End result E5 96 octane.

Mines tuned for 98 only, so I can't (and wouldn't anyway). Do you have a better half that can use E10 in their car. Get them to give you the money for the E10 they put in and you still pay for 98 in yours.
    MY12.5 Clubsport Manual in Alto Grey, MY16 SV6 auto in Phantom, MY11 SV6 auto in Voodoo, 1964 EH Manual wagon in Cream.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_sv6 View Post
    Two thoughts ...

What about putting 50% E10 94/95 octane in and then you pay for 98 octane. End result E5 96 octane.

Mines tuned for 98 only, so I can't (and wouldn't anyway). Do you have a better half that can use E10 in their car. Get them to give you the money for the E10 they put in and you still pay for 98 in yours.
    It's an idea, but messy and complex to manage.

Fuel card use will require me to log mileage etc. so I will either need to fabricate numbers, (potentially criminal, so no), or be reporting out of sync fuel use numbers which could lead to my use being audited.

I just get to nominate one car (which will have number plate recorded against this and the parking p*** in the work parking lot - so identifiable), and if not the HSV, then I will start using one of the others more instead.

I like 'em LOUD

Thread Information