HSV Forum

Giving the GTO a "birthday

Hey all. Well after much talk I've finally started to pull my 2002 devil yellow car apart just to tidy it up.
    Both door trims had been roughly pulled off before and have m***ive creases along the top edge. I cant find new trims anywhere so hopefully my local trimmer can fix this.
    Quick question to the wise crew on the forum.

Has anyone used dynamat on there car? as I have the entire trim out of the car I thought id try and reduce road noise. it seems expensive just wondering if its worth while doing.

I want the car to be a "time capsule" I want to update the speakers and keep the original head unit, does any one have experience doing this, if so what speakers did you go for?

thanks in advance for your help

just go to bunnings and use a roof/gutter repair mat as its the same stuff as dynamat just get a roll its so much cheaper

Can't speak for the noise side of the Dynamat, but I can tell you it's damn heavy.
    If you're ever thinking of track work, speed events etc. I'd steer clear - it seems that's not your goal though.

I also think you're in a losing battle with upgrading the speakers and not head deck. The head deck is the weak link in that setup, can't see an upgrade of the speakers helping sound quality too much.

Good luck with the tidy up, one of my favourite car/colour combos.

I've got 3 bulk packs in my GTS. Yes, it's heavy but it does the job. Doors are solid as... But that's also around a grands worth of sound deadening! Have a look at PingJing. It may sound funny/odd/cheap but it definitely does the trick and has a great reputation. I would use that or Car Builders if I was doing it again. Would easily cut the price in half.

Speakers are a personal one. Depends what you like and what you want to spend. I've got Dynaudio throughout. There's no harm in keeping the stock head unit but add a small amp for the fronts at least to give them some headroom.

I cant believe holden continued to use paper one speakers
    My camry had a better stereo
    In fact all hsvs have had the worst steroes ever
    My iload has a better stereo

craze - did an almost twenty year old Camry actually have a stereo? Would not be many still running around.
    Can't compare then and now. The music system in the WK is still pretty good; a Grange is an HSV and fortunately, apart from the final version, do not look like an I can go faster than you vehicle.

Thanks guys. In regards to the dyna mat. im just chasing a bit more of a quite cabin (getting old) ill never track this car i have other outlets for that and i want to keep the vehicle mint. ill have a look at a few options in regards to brands.
    With the stereo maybe a set of alpine DDD splits for the front and just better quality rear speakers.

I love dynamat we get all our trucks and Ute's done from new makes the cabin so much quilter and much better sound quality

Quote Originally Posted by grange250 View Post
    craze - did an almost twenty year old Camry actually have a stereo? Would not be many still running around.
    Can't compare then and now. The music system in the WK is still pretty good; a Grange is an HSV and fortunately, apart from the final version, do not look like an I can go faster than you vehicle.
    1994 model did and even earlier did

Thread Information