HSV Forum

Page 3 of 5 First << 12345 Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    In my VE track only car, I have cut the floor out above the fuel pump, fitted rivnuts & made a round alloy
    cover that bolts back over the hole...impractical to do on a daily driver maybe???
    you know that cough.. coff Ford used exactly that on EF and EL falcons
    a round floor cover (with seal) to cover access to the pump. I bought one
    as i intend doing that mod on the VF (in case the pump dies)

oh...and the cost ? $2 at a local ford wrecker
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

There is no drain on pretty much any Holden fuel tank.
    To get the fuel pump out of anything later from & including VT its tank out.
    VE/VF tanks are a real PITA to get out.
    The only way I drain tanks is to take the fuel supply hose/pipe/line etc off from the fuel rail in engine bay, attach
    an electric pump & drain the tank with the electric pump.
    In my VE track only car, I have cut the floor out above the fuel pump, fitted rivnuts & made a round alloy
    cover that bolts back over the hole...impractical to do on a daily driver maybe???
    Didn't some VE's (I believe the early ones) have a cover there? Or at least a piece that is very easily cut out. They changed the design for some reason half way thru.

yep the series 1 VE has the cutout cover there glued down, ive had mine out and ill be making up a raised plate to screw a better cover to as TPKW30 has done, need little extra clearance once u get a decent fuel system in there,

There is no drain on pretty much any Holden fuel tank.
    To get the fuel pump out of anything later from & including VT its tank out.
    VE/VF tanks are a real PITA to get out.
    The only way I drain tanks is to take the fuel supply hose/pipe/line etc off from the fuel rail in engine bay, attach
    an electric pump & drain the tank with the electric pump.
    Thanks for the advice, I was hoping for an easier way, but deep down I knew there wouldn't be a simple way .

With my 99 model STI, I would disconnect the fuel line off the filter, which was easy as it sits on top in the engine bay, and would turn the ignition on to prime the fuel pump draining the fuel into a container (it had a walbro high flow pump, so would drain the fuel tank quite quickly). With the HSV's you can enter into service mode by holding the start button down for 10secs, this primes the fuel pump at the same time from memory, would this work by disconnecting the fuel rail hose and priming the fuel pump in the HSV to force the fuel out of the tank? Or will I end up with error codes or damaging something?

I don't have an electric pump lying around to use.

Cheers

using the pumps is good an bad as u will drain the little pot quickly and run dry so u will have to be on and off power to the pumps for the last 10-20 litres, these pumps dont run dry good at all u can kill them quick, ive used this way to drain mine but u cant get every last bit without getting into the tank

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Didn't some VE's (I believe the early ones) have a cover there? Or at least a piece that is very easily cut out. They changed the design for some reason half way thru.
    You could be right but I have never come across one factory..
    These is a round "moulding" so to speak in the floor of where one should have been, but not cut out..
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    you know that cough.. coff Ford used exactly that on EF and EL falcons
    a round floor cover (with seal) to cover access to the pump. I bought one
    as i intend doing that mod on the VF (in case the pump dies)

oh...and the cost ? $2 at a local ford wrecker
    Yes, done many of those over the years.
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

The E1 senator has a cover plate from factory.
    Id just buy a can of octane booster if your worrried about the fuel going off.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyinc View Post
    The E1 senator has a cover plate from factory.
    Id just buy a can of octane booster if your worrried about the fuel going off.
    Sometimes our GTSR doesn't get driven for 3-4 weeks, should I be worried about this issue, I've never worried about it, never had an issue with any fuel, that I've noticed.
    How much octane booster would you put in?
    Pickles.

I used to leave my GTS parked for the same time frame when I went away for work and never did anything differently. Have never had an issue with it.

If I was taking it racing I'd use the old tank up and put fresh fuel in but for everyday driving I wouldn't worry about it, let alone putting octane booster in it.

If you know you're going to leave it parked up for a while then just don't fill the tank right up. Top it up when you take it out next.

Thread Information