HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

J.C and Camaro Safety

Interesting video by my Fav' online engineer John Cadogan regarding Camaro crash safety .

As much as I like and respect J.C.'s work , I suspect he's pushing a personal barrow on this one ... as with the Mustang , buyers are interested in the performance / style / muscle rather than any ANCAP safety rating !!

I think the guy is a knob. I CBF'd watching his latest wheel barrow push. But based on your comments above, I personally would not buy anything that didn't have a 5 star safety rating. Especially if it was over $100k. Both my kids have purchased a brand new car each in the last 12 months (One delivered yesterday), 5 star safety and LDW, Autonomous braking and a host of other safety features. One was $19,990 and the other $21,990. There is no excuse for a lack of all of the above on any car above these price points.
    MY12.5 Clubsport Manual in Alto Grey, MY16 SV6 auto in Phantom, MY11 SV6 auto in Voodoo, 1964 EH Manual wagon in Cream.

I agree with voodoo - if the Japanese & Koreans for example can bring out budget priced 5 star safety rated
    cars then there is no excuse that the Americans cant...
    Once upon a time a cars safety rating wouldn't enter my mind at purchase - funny how one's
    thinking changes with age....

Who else remembers the VB Commodore crash test???
    How many here have owned/still own a VB to VL Commodore???
    It is amazing anyone ever survived a crash..

Here's the link - watch & be amazed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgjtSilW8yM
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Not interested in chasing his video down for a look given the other comments, anyone got any notes?

I suspect the pricing would have gotten even more out of control had HSV chased an ANCAP rating. Is there a US equivalent to the ANCAP?

Just because it is not tested on an Australian standard does not mean the vehicle is unsafe, however, I do understand that they have removed things like lane departure because they couldn't get it to work on the RHD cars (that said, I have lane departure off permanently in my daily as I can't stand it).

Two main issues ... and these are NOT my words !

First : The removal of electronic lane departure and other electronic warning systems means it will never achieve 5 stars and HSV weren't prepared to have that situation arise.

Second: The original engineering structure was for LHD , and even tho the HSV conversion work is not in doubt or question , the offset frontal collision testing has not been done and nor will it.

Despite this , the vehicle is still deemed safe for ADR compliance.

Given the 2 comments above regarding 5 star ratings in budget vehicles , this may be an issue for HSV .... or as I stated in original post , people who buy muscle cars are wanting the driving experience , not ANCAP or economy.
    Last edited by airag; 12-06-2019 at 08:32 PM.

I think this article sums up HSV's (and most buyer's) perspective pretty well.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/chevr...-28/75707.html

In particular, this quote If your buying criteria is I need AEB or I need lane-keep a s sist, its probably not the car for you.

Spending a million dollars (which would then be split amongst their low volume of vehicles) to come out with a 2 or 3 star rating simply because it doesn't have AEB or lane departure is beyond pointless IMO.

My only beef and this goes for the other high end cars as well, you only get a 3 year warranty, a 5 year would go along way.

E:G The reason I brought a 3rd car was 7 year warranty (VF Redline).
    VF GTS 2013 - BUILD #238
    VF Sen 2016
    VF SS-V Redline 2017

U can extend most manufactures warranty if still within warranty period

True however the after purchase extended warranty can be a joke and nothing like EXTENDING sounds.
    Costly and covers very little ie seat and mirror motors not covered.
    Plus the driveline is then over serviced to maintain your $2k outlay.
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 14-06-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS2017 View Post
    My only beef and this goes for the other high end cars as well, you only get a 3 year warranty, a 5 year would go along way.

E:G The reason I brought a 3rd car was 7 year warranty (VF Redline).
    It doesn't really make much sense that they don't offer a 5 year. They're 5 in the states and every other Holden are 5 now aren't they? 3 year warranties went out of fashion years ago, 5 is the norm now.

Thread Information