HSV Forum

GPS Sat/Nav Drama

Bout 5 months ago my sat/nav stopped working while driving along. Pulled up shut it down for maybe 5 mins & it appeared there all good. ( "Navigation not fitted" on dash screen.
    Did it again the other day but took about 30 mins to come back. I have previously updated with a SD card with the latest maps. - 8418
    I googled it as best I could & searched the forum & I think its a Holden IQ problem, is it a hardware problem with the wiring or is it a holden firmware problem?
    Any help is really appreciated as taking my baby out for a run is turning into a gremlin filled drama atm.
    13/4/11 build & she only has 40'710 k's .

8418 was the 2016(and latest) update.
    Try removing the SD card and re-inserting it.

Thanks I'll give it a go.

Holden replaced the head unit in my E3 when I had this issue about 12 months ago.
    MY12.5 Clubsport Manual in Alto Grey, MY16 SV6 auto in Phantom, MY11 SV6 auto in Voodoo, 1964 EH Manual wagon in Cream.

Being intermittent like that really sounds like one of two things. A plug is crook like bent pin or similar within the plug or a dry joint on the pc board. Try looking at both these if possible. Give all plug connections a good spray with wd or lanox. Hope this helps.

If others have had the same problem it is almost a guaranteed dry joint on the board. When pc boards are made all the components are inserted, the legs are cut off and the board is horizontally placed in a lead bath that solders all the joints. At some point that bath has to be topped up and in some cases boards will go through without enough solder.

And that it why it was easier for Holden to just replace Voodoos head unit rather than get a tech to pull it apart, find the fault, repair and re***emble. At the end of the day probably cheaper for Holden too. You're welcome to bring the head to me for a quick squizz. Sydney, Wetherill park area. If a component goes it won't work full stop, no intermittent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotta_Drive_One View Post
    If others have had the same problem it is almost a guaranteed dry joint on the board. When pc boards are made all the components are inserted, the legs are cut off and the board is horizontally placed in a lead bath that solders all the joints. At some point that bath has to be topped up and in some cases boards will go through without enough solder.
    That was done probably 30 years ago

Id imagine its surface mount components are used
    Although some components are through **** and either go through selective soldering or mini wave or robotic soldering
    Often at the end inspected by automated optical inspection system to catch defects

Thanks craze, now I'm showing my age

Had a brainstorm; it could be just a crook earth on the gps antenna. Try turning the connection, it always worked on the EH

Thread Information