HSV Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last >>

Thread: Replica Market

Replica Market

What's everyone's thoughts on the replica market at the moment?

Would anyone here shell out over $70k for a replica blue meany or walky? I guess there's a been a strong market for XW/XY Falcons for a while.

I've always subscribed to the theory that if you can get back half of what you put into a car, you're doing really well. I also realise that some of these replicas use a lot of genuine parts but as stated in the ad for the replica GTS/R on carsales, they are fetching (or asking in reality) half the price of a genuine vehicle.

Isn't the idea of building a replica the fact that you can cruise around in it for a fraction of the price of a genuine one, not making a profit from building a car?

I guess I just want to see if I'm out of touch with current trends. I also realise that anything is only worth as much as you can get for it. Unfortunately, I'm not in a financial position to even buy another car, let alone a replica, so just shooting the s#*t really!

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Vaughn

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Have seen 2 VR GTSRs and a VL Walky in the last two days for sale, the walky was asking $80k. I personally wouldnít spend that much on a replica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont care what it is

Would never own a replica no matter how cheap or how good it is

I didnt think genuine Walkinshaws were worth $40k when ultra low km cars could be bought for that.
    So I certainly wouldnt pay big $$ for a replica.
    Toy 1 - 1997 Tickford EL GT #068
    Toy 2 - 2001 Tickford AU111 XR8 220kw manual
    Toy 3 - HSV VF GTS #1539 Heron White manual

Daily - 2002 HSV VY Clubsport R8 manual #185
    Daily - 2004 VZ Cross 8

Project - 1998 HSV VS11 at VT Maloo #082

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Dont care what it is

+1
    Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Dont care what it is

with ya there!

it's GOTTA be real for me to pull out coin
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Depends on what you want. If the replica is 500kw injected/blown/stroked with better than original suspension and brakes etc then itís going to be a much more fun car to drive, so perhaps youíd pay reasonable $$$$ for one. I personally canít get my head around paying big money for a genuine Walky that only has 180kw and really canít be modified now. Itís a car Iíve always wanted to own, but wonít now as I canít see myself enjoying driving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 VR GTS
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

Thats why id want a real walky and mod it and keep all original parts to put it back

I support tributes to cars that are unobtainable. An American built a tribute to Moffat's XA/XB Brut 33 Bathurst racer, failed at Bathurst, but what an imposing car. Theft, makes using a genuine car regularly too high risk, a genuine VC to VL Brock is locked up a tribute can be used and enjoyed. Same applies to fake Tribute LH LX Toranas, a tribute can be blasted around, the real thing L34, A9X, more likely to be in storage these days.

LS engine transplants also lend themselves to tribute cars, no one is trying to fool any one with an LS into old Holden but the performance in another league compared with original.

I'll just clarify my own view on a couple of points, on what I consider a "replica".
    If we're talking putting a later model engine/driveline etc in, say an LS into VC-VL, Toranas etc,...yep, great idea, all for it, but I wouldn't call them replicas.
    A "Replica" IMHO anyway, is a car where someone builds a "replica" to make it look exactly like, or as close to as possible as the original,...say buying a VK Berlina, stripping it, & building a VK Group A with 4.9 engine, M21, Scheel seating etc, so the finished product will look & drive (maybe better?!) than the original. That is what I call a "Replica", and there are some very good ones about, fetching pretty big dollars, but I wouldn't want one.
    Just my thoughts, Pickles.

Thread Information