HSV Forum

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... Last >>

GTSR minor power upgrade

I am looking at a tune and pod intake for our family car, GTSR auto.
    The car will not do a lot of kms and in Perth no long trip, Albany rtn 1500km.
    I'm interested in recommendations on one extra I could get done at the same time.

The tune will help with fuel, but we will not do a lot of kms in Perth, we have a runabout Astra.

I'm not chasing a ton of HP gains either so I guess 340 to 360rwkw will see mid to very low 12's on a cold Wednesday night track sessions. (the Grange managed 12.99 tune and otr on a crisp night).

I like the bimodal exhaust, the fuse is out most of the time.

I read the GTSR exhaust is good, I doubt I would just swap out the cats, 1. is just extractors an improvement on the stock fit? Extremely unlikely I would do a full exhaust.

2. Boost increase by about 10% from a Harmonic Balancer change? but I don't really want a heap more power?

3. Cam, the car is a bit of a Sunday drive car, and a small cam upgrade for I guess $3k would top out the extra spend
    I read their is a cam for everything, so a nice lumpy idle with little other change, could use a lot more fuel?

4. I like the sound of a chiller plates large reservoir, although I will not do track days, only 1/4miles a few times per year stc.

5. Plugs thermostat injectors sounds like more to suit a package. Extractors were big on my bikes, and know my limited knowledge has me in part split between extractors or a cam.

I know this has been covered under the 5000 pages of the GTSR is coming thread, but that was more about power stages, not a low cost upgrade more for bringing out that old fashion V8 sounding engine. The pod intake should bring out enough blower sound. Cheers in advance. I plan on getting the work done asap once the guards are rolled next week.

Unless you want the sound of a cam, I would just increase the boost, intake, injectors, thermostat and tune. Maybe a lid spacer as well.

Who are you looking at getting to do the work?

The first thing you want is a decent exhaust, that will cost around 4K. from there you can build power in different stages or all at once. The thing to remember the most common problem you will get in turning the power up to much on a stock bottom end will be a BIG end bearing shitting itself.
    VF GTS 2013 - BUILD #238
    VF Sen 2016
    VF SS-V Redline 2017

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Unless you want the sound of a cam, I would just increase the boost, intake, injectors, thermostat and tune. Maybe a lid spacer as well.

Who are you looking at getting to do the work?
    Cheers for the reply. I have had work done on three cars by Eddie at Active Automotive, he went out of his way to sort out a fix on a first off model in Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS2017 View Post
    The first thing you want is a decent exhaust, that will cost around 4K. from there you can build power in different stages or all at once. The thing to remember the most common problem you will get in turning the power up to much on a stock bottom end will be a BIG end bearing shitting itself.
    Plenty of guys running good times on the factory cat back. Headers and cats would be plenty for the power level he's looking at, I'd only recommend changing the lot of he was unhappy with the note.

The note is everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VF GTS 2013 - BUILD #238
    VF Sen 2016
    VF SS-V Redline 2017

Interesting as the car will be in part a weekend car i live near my work. The exhaust system option leaving the bimodals in place is an option I would then be looking at 500fwkw.
    I don't want the car in the workshop twice with a tune each time. So going a bit more than first intended with the smallest boost increase a good exhaust leaving the mufflers in place ending with a pod and tune. I will leave the thermostat plugs etc to the workshop. Spacer plate not sure so many good ideas with the lsa. I will have a look at some lsa's moded already. Appreciate the input. (S5)
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 02-02-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Exhaust wise, have you thought of a custom system with the Varex option for the rear mufflers.?

A good thing if at times you want a quiet as stock sound ( sometimes quieter ) or you can have it straight through and anywhere in between fully adjustable and integrated into your driving style. Adding the Smart Box which plugs into your OBD II port allows you to vary the amount of flow ( and note ) based on Engine Revs, Throttle Position and Speed or all three at once. It all runs from an app on your phone. There are 4 programmable presets you can activate at the touch of a button. If your phone is completely hands free there is no legal issue doing this as you are driving. At least the legal advice I've had indicates that.

I use my GTSR as a daily drive and there is nothing worse than having to put up with a loud exhaust 24/7 especially when visiting clients. Driving sedately around town I can have it quiet as a stock SS commodore ( a cam will change that slightly ) but also if I stab the throttle it is much like the standard BiModal system but I decide at what point and how much the valves open.

Yeah, I must admit I had a few issues initially. Varex dragged the chain a bit over a few teething issues and the original installer got it wrong but once it was sorted I wouldn't go back.

Also a very patient exhaust shop is an absolute must to get it the way you want. It is not a "Plug and Play" system like they want you to believe. I went through about 7 different options with hot dog sizes, positioning etc till I got a system which I was totally happy with. The only drone I get is with the rear cans 50% or more open and between 1000 and 1300 RPM and even then most people wouldn't even class that as a drone.

In Brisbane, Brad at Carline Mufflers Naranga is the go. I've never dealt with a more helpful and easy going shop.
    GTSR Maloo

Quote Originally Posted by GTS2017 View Post
    The note is everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd rather sound slow and go fast than sound fast and go slow but maybe I'm getting old...that said, my car is very loud.

I'm looking at copying another forum members plan. A pacemaker special order, coated and leaving the bimodal mufflers in place. I always have the fuse out as i hate not hearing the downshift using paddle changes. That should save enough money to cover the small boost increase. Gutsy saying this but i think it could see an 11.99 by three small mods and a good mafless tune. Maybe the exhaust is not classed as a small mod!

(added) Markost thanks for your ideas, I like the stock rear muffler setup, yes it is a pain to replace the fuse but I rarely have it fitted.
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 02-02-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Thread Information