HSV Forum

Page 4 of 5 First << ... 2345 Last >>
    my middle name is "off topic" if its raining tmw I know where I will be cheers for that, that is Motor Museum followed by beers then that down hill race track back into Adelaide with the wife driving.
    Cheers

Perth rim repair after no luck in Melbourne for rim repair less one chap that was booked out until after Christmas.
    Can anyone in Perth recommend a rim repair, the red R and asking will the repair really be like new as you state gets a no reply.
    Cheers andrew Mosman Park WA.
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:41 PM.

Who in Perth have you tried Andrew? Alliance have been doing them forever but short of a dedicated rim repairer, try a good panel shop. Kustom in Landsdale would be my choice, otherwise Vulcan in Canningvale.

If you're not paying the bill, source a new wheel.

Hi nobody yet, Phil Foster at AMG i know is a very good panel beater in Oz Park. I noticed Alliance when i googled today i will call them tmw. Friday i get a house, garage and our containers arrive with my low jack. I'd prefer to remove and clean the rim first.
    Yes if i can't get a promise of close to perfect job it will be $1500 replacement from HSV in Freo.
    Cheers Andrew.

Can see where the BMW rim had edge machined to clean up welds...but no one would know without comparing and pointing it out, so it works out fine.
    My car is the same, never put a mark on it myself, but tyre shops, mechanics and similar has scraped and taken chunks out and even dropped them on their face which is wider than the rubber. Will need a full set with tyres one day to get the lot touched up as still use it on-call.
    Ben
    1978 Firebird Formula 6.6L W50
    2002 HSV Clubsport R8 255

Tyre type and size on the gts/gtsr/W1.
    Has anyone fitted the standard conti in a 295/35R 105Y?
    Also does anyone know what the "N" means conti 102Y goes to 105Y 5P thats all fine but conti sell a cheaper tyre with an "N" on it.
    Im over 10.5inch rims with 275 'blades'.
    Cheers

Hey Andrew,
    I'm pretty sure the Y and N are speed ratings, for example Y=300 kmh & N=250 kmh.
    also not 100% on this but i think it may affect your insurance if you have the incorrect rating fitted.
    cheers and happy new year

The load and speed ratings will need to match or exceed whatever is on the tyre placard.

Thanks and Happy New Year, NBN great, a 30 day wait, thanks telco's NBN is great, three outlets in the garage and no connection for four weeks.

Now I have basic internet via a phone I still can't see what N means I guess its a Euro tyre with less grip
    speed ratings are something like A to Z less X so we use V, W Y and Z.

If anyone has fitted 295's on the GTSR Id like to know, as the W1 295's are VERY rounded and the shocks are also different not being MRC. My 110kmph is really 105.5 so staying 35 profile will change that a bit, leaving the front tyres the same I plan to leave the alignment the same for now.
    Update 'N' is used by porsche and $90 cheaper.
    Its getting hard not to use tyresales at $75 per tyre cheaper and dealers will not guarantee tyre dates just bag out tyresales!
    Cheers
    Had a look at different tyres on porsches and merc etc no help every tyre is so different. What i have found out is the gap is about 5mm each side any wider youwould cut through the fuel filer pipe!!
    So a 295 may still fit cause it should only be 2 or 3 mm wider at the rim due to the tyre wall angle.
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:02 PM.

The GTSR rim repair is perfect, by AFM Enterprises Osborne Park. Four days due to time in the oven because of the thickness of the shadow chrome prior to the clear coat. I did have some missing metal too, already repaid by the Sydney hotel thanks rear safety camera.

I have ordered 295 35's and guess on soft shock setting the tyres will rub/melt the wheel arch lining, as long as they don't hit the fuel filler pipe I don't mind, the tyre width at the rim will be no more that 2mm wider. I noticed the 275s have about 255 on the road measuring the wear marks. You can clearly see the tyre wall angle is wrong on the GTSR, that's why the same rim on the W1 is fitted with a 295s. Now to wait and see just how old, the tyresales tyres will be, my guess 16 months!
    Cheers

Thread Information