HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

E1 GTS air con stopped blowing cold

My air con stopped blowing cold. Haven’t had an issue till Saturday, went for an hour drive, stopped for a few hours. Then another hour and stopped for a few hours, no issues. Jumped in for the hour drive home and ....no cold!
    Took it to a mechanic (not my regular, they don’t do air con) put the gauges on it and said it was full of gas and most likely the valve or compressor. So he suggested to fit another new or second compressor as it includes the valve as well.
    Is there anything else it could be? I plan on getting a second opinion. Was quoted $739 new OEM or $385 second hand with 12 months warranty inc labour + fitting & gas.
    If I have to go down the replacement compressor route, I can get a genuine one for $530 then get fitted & gassed. Would mean a bit more time off the road but would save a couple hundred $$.

check the belt mine use to come off all the time and just sit in behind without being damaged

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    check the belt mine use to come off all the time and just sit in behind without being damaged
    First thing I checked. My old VE SS threw the belt every time I put the foot down lol. Till I got the upgraded bracket, never had an issue after that.

strange for it to just stop, still engaging and high speed fans come on ?

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, even mechanic said “has it been playing up for a while?”. Nah mate was working fine, now it’s not.
    Compressor is not engaging. Everything else is fine.

they have a fuse for it ? there's two plugs on it it are they both in and getting i assume power to engage clutches and other should be a pressure sensor ? could use multimeter on the terminals see if its switching on then if it is u know its internal

Did it throw a code?

Firstly go to a place that can diagnose problem 100% you only replace the compressor if not pumping which having gauges attached will tell you, it is only just a pump so you will have a low pressure side & high pressure side when operating. If just stopped working all of a sudden then most probably fuse for magnetic drive blown or drive stuffed, it is what drives the compressor, when a/c off the front pulley just free spins.

no code. Will book it in with a sparky/air con guy.

Relay is probably stuffed.
    Toy 1 - 1997 Tickford EL GT #068
    Toy 2 - 2001 Tickford AU111 XR8 220kw manual
    Toy 3 - HSV VF GTS #1539 Heron White manual

Daily - 2002 HSV VY Clubsport R8 manual #185
    Daily - 2004 VZ Cross 8

Project - 1998 HSV VS11 at VT Maloo #082

Thread Information