HSV Forum


Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last >>
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Camaro arrives!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,547

    Camaro arrives!

    Was down at our Dealer's yesterday, they had received their first Camaro a few days ago. It was in the P.D. area, it will not be immediately sold, it is to be registered to be used as a demo.
    Good looking car, very well appointed. Lots of people compare it to the Mustang,....and so they should.
    Of course Mustang is cheaper, everyone knows that, some say $20K cheaper, but IMHO ya gotta compare apples with apples. I think that if one adds up the extra features that we get as standard on Camaro, compare what one actually gets with Mustang Vs Camaro, the difference isn't so great.
    Not knocking the Mustang, it's a great car, been a MASSIVE success for Ford, and particularly for Ford Aus. Of course HSV ain't trying to match Mustang sales, I think they're looking at around 500 this year then 1000 a year for the next 3 years.
    Some have said, why buy a converted car if one can buy a RHD from the factory?...Fair enough, but ya can't!!..I have not seen one single bit of info from an official GM source, saying they'll do Camaro RHD. The whole Aussie Camaro "thing" has been done in conjunction with, and under the guidance of, GM Detroit, and I hardly think they'd let Holden & HSV get involved in such a project if a factory RHD Camaro was on the horizon.
    Corvette?...Different story,...I reckon we'll see a factory RHD Corvette in Holden showrooms within 2-3 years.
    These are just my thoughts. Am I enthusiastic?..Of course I am. HSV is a small Aussie company "having a go" in a challenging market, so of course I wish them every success.
    I look forward to reading the first reports of a Camaro owner shortly on this forum.
    Pickles.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    7,610
    Good to see them finally launching in dealerships. I think the sore point for a lot of people is the pricing when compared to the Mustang but I also believe that will change if/when people actually see the finished product in the flesh and compare all the specs, apples to apples as you say Martin.

    I think a couple of members here have got orders in so it would be great to hear from them when they take delivery.

    On another note, I think we all saw this coming...

    https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...camaro-115097/

    Walky to provide a few aftermarket options to beef up the power output. I also vaguely remember Harrop mentioning they have something in the mix? Interestingly I also saw a post from CAPA today plugging their Mustang kit, I'm surprised we don't see a lot more hi-po ponies around but maybe I'm out of touch.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    357
    they look good and yeah glad to see HSV having a go.

    that interior though.... blurgh. Americans have never managed a nice interior. they could have slotted a nice VF dash in there while they had the cars apart
    2017 Tourer R8 30th Anniversary
    2013 Gen-F R8 SV Tourer manual - gone

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    833
    At Bathurst over the weekend there was an road going version on display, and a "mocked up"
    race version.
    They both looked sweet...
    Until they are offered with a clutch I for one wouldn't even think about buying one...
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    At Bathurst over the weekend there was an road going version on display, and a "mocked up"
    race version.
    They both looked sweet...
    Until they are offered with a clutch I for one wouldn't even think about buying one...
    What HSV have done to transform their business in the last 18 months or so has been a HUGE process, obviously they can only do so much at a time, and whilst I have to say I know nothing, I reckon that you just need to be patient.
    Pickles.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    It’s a shame they’re only offering a 339 kw n/a version. While they’re converting them to rhd they should be slotting in a lsa as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using HSV Forum

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollymaloo View Post
    It’s a shame they’re only offering a 339 kw n/a version. While they’re converting them to rhd they should be slotting in a lsa as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using HSV Forum
    HSV only ever changed engines for two models, and the cost went through the roof on those


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 VR GTS
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV View Post
    HSV only ever changed engines for two models, and the cost went through the roof on those


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can get brand new lsa crate motors for $11k here in oz,surely it wouldn’t be to expensive. And in my opinion be more appealing to hsv customers?


    Sent from my iPhone using HSV Forum

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    7,610
    It would be counter productive as the costing will be too extreme. You would also have to beef up the rest of the drive line, plus any extra R&D testing. Then add in the fact the LSA is an old motor now and possibly may not even meet the emissions stabdards of the LT1. An aftermarket LSA swap runs you about 20k for engine and box. Add in everything else and the fact they have to provide warranty on it and you'd be looking at a 40k premium....may as well have just got the ZL1.

    Even though it's lower on power, it also weighs less. 0-100 is 4 seconds. HSV quoted the GTS at 4.4 so power isn't everything.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    It would be counter productive as the costing will be too extreme. You would also have to beef up the rest of the drive line, plus any extra R&D testing. Then add in the fact the LSA is an old motor now and possibly may not even meet the emissions stabdards of the LT1. An aftermarket LSA swap runs you about 20k for engine and box. Add in everything else and the fact they have to provide warranty on it and you'd be looking at a 40k premium....may as well have just got the ZL1.

    Even though it's lower on power, it also weighs less. 0-100 is 4 seconds. HSV quoted the GTS at 4.4 so power isn't everything.
    It might cost you and I $20k for a full conversion,but it definitely won’t cost gm that much. Plus four seconds n/a to 100 with the lightweight camaro so I can’t wait till someone upgrades theirs with a walkinshaw package 🤤


    Sent from my iPhone using HSV Forum







Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •