HSV Forum

Cross 8 or VY SS Wagon

Has anyone here ever owned a Cross 8 or VY SS Wagon?
    Im considering buying one to replace my old Maloo as a run-about.
    Ive driven and owned enough VT-VZ cars to know what the running gear is like but im after pros n cons of these cars.

I drove a Cross 8 last week and was happy with it, the VY SS wagon is too far to go for a test drive so i cant compare. My kids are only 7 & 9 so the back seat of the Crewman shouldnt bother them plus i have enough cars for extended trips away for more comfort.

I do like the appeal of limited VY SS wagons made but it wont make me a millionaire so its not a deal breaker.

Basically what i wouldnt mind is feedback on either car of what was liked and what wasnt liked about them.

Thanks.
    Toy 1 - 1997 Tickford EL GT #068
    Toy 2 - 1998 HSV VS11 at VT Maloo #082
    Toy 3 - 2001 Tickford AU111 XR8 220kw manual
    Toy 4 - 2002 HSV VY Clubsport R8 manual #185

Daily - HSV VF GTS #1539 Heron White manual
    Daily - 2004 VZ Cross 8

It really comes down to your use. Having a ute and using it, the Wagon will not work. Care is needed putting stuff in a wagon; can be tossed into the ute. We have both in the family, our ute is a cab/chassis so no cover for the back; amplifies the difference when loading (and getting wet).

Both cars fit my wants.... i dont need either.
    So is the ute a Crewman?

Daily - 2004 VZ Cross 8

Quote Originally Posted by HSVGTS125 View Post
    Has anyone here ever owned a Cross 8 or VY SS Wagon?
    Im considering buying one to replace my old Maloo as a run-about.
    Ive driven and owned enough VT-VZ cars to know what the running gear is like but im after pros n cons of these cars.

I drove a Cross 8 last week and was happy with it, the VY SS wagon is too far to go for a test drive so i cant compare. My kids are only 7 & 9 so the back seat of the Crewman shouldnt bother them plus i have enough cars for extended trips away for more comfort.

I do like the appeal of limited VY SS wagons made but it wont make me a millionaire so its not a deal breaker.

Basically what i wouldnt mind is feedback on either car of what was liked and what wasnt liked about them.

Thanks.
    I sold my Cross 8 in April of this year after buying a new Colorado.
    I removed the back seat in mine to store my tools/gear when I was away racing.

Pro's - great tow car, great seats, plenty of power, V8.
    Really comfortable car to travel long distances in.
    Felt safe, great wet weather traction, sit a little higher than a normal car.

Con's - Fuel - they just suck it up like no tomorrow...especially if towing.
    The Cross 8 would average around 19L/100 km's towing - where the Colorado is 11L/100
    Brakes - they're crap for some reason.
    If you plan on towing make sure the trailer has electric brakes.
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    I sold my Cross 8 in April of this year after buying a new Colorado.
    I removed the back seat in mine to store my tools/gear when I was away racing.

Pro's - great tow car, great seats, plenty of power, V8.
    Really comfortable car to travel long distances in.
    Felt safe, great wet weather traction, sit a little higher than a normal car.

Con's - Fuel - they just suck it up like no tomorrow...especially if towing.
    The Cross 8 would average around 19L/100 km's towing - where the Colorado is 11L/100
    Brakes - they're crap for some reason.
    If you plan on towing make sure the trailer has electric brakes.
    Great feedback mate. I wont be towing anything and i did hear they were thirsty. I think the Cross 8 might suit my wants a little more. Ill look after it like the other cars but i want something i dont have to worry about if we go somewhere and plans change. For instance we went to a car show for a look and detoured to the beach afterwards. The kids wanted to play properly in the sand but i didnt want them to because of what we were in. The Cross 8 i am looking at has decent rubber mats etc so id be more lenient with this. Kids gotta have fun, ill still look after it but want them to enjoy it too

Daily - 2004 VZ Cross 8

Thread Information