HSV Forum

Page 5 of 5 First << ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    ps.. just did a search
    it is here.. at the museum

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/395100

WOW!!!! What could have been??? Thanks so much for that info...
    I thought I knew a bit about Aussie cars but I had never heard of "Ilinga" prior to your post.....
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Getting back to the A9L .... from my personal perspective these "homologation based" engines were sitters for modding and as I grew up in the "naturally aspirated" era these cars were just perfect

My first Group A was the 86 HDT and I hadn't modded a car for a few years at the time so with its better than average bottom end and Roller rockered heads done properly with screw in studs I was "hot to trot and bought my very first HDT from Claridge Holden in November 86 ... as a Plus Pack ... and the mods started early in 87 ... firstly with a trip back to Bertie St for the skirts kit and driving lights ... from then I had to save a few dollars to get the 16 x 8 MOMOs ... a few of us went back to Bertie St in march of 8$ to suds out the lates as the Holden/Brock split had hit everyone hard .... I was half interested in getting the "Hi Output" pack and Phil Brock was on hand to talk us through it ... he popped the filing cabinet and pulled out the Cam cards which revealed the 2 on offer we both Wade copies of the Crane 264 and 276 ... HDT also machined 45 thou off the heads to get the comp up to 9.2:1 ... although my maths had that at 9.1:1... anyway HDT was messy and I headed home to ADL to do my own thing ...

Impatiently, we whizzed out the donk and did a full job inc the usual Chev forged pistons and a genuine Crane billet 276 ... and the usual stuff like hi-intensity lifters and dual springs finished off with a set of the Genies that Brock was using on the 87/88 Signature Seies Group 111 ...

Well, that wasn't fast enough (Cam too small) ...

Bob Jane had introduced Auscar Racing at the Thunderdome and all of a sudden a good range of proven stuff and more importantly "info" was crossing my desk ... inc an into to Bob Sherry who was doing Les Smalls heads!! .... and we all know how fast Grice was going back then

So it was Engine out again and the heads and manifold off to Bob and remachined the bottom end and decked the block to achieve 10.4:1 ... fitted up a set of the 2671P Auscar spec short skirt pistons (assembled fully floating) and a Crower (not Crow) 2204 cam (I like Crower gear) and matching dual springs ... I topped it off with an "Annular Discharge" Competition Holley ... back in the car this was pretty sharp .. and made 176 RWKW ... a long way from the 122RWKW we started with ... next stop was a trip to Ken I'Anson in Berri for a decent Exhaust .... Ken knocked up a twin 2 1/4 into a 3" muffler ... 3" over the axle and 3" out the back ... Ken hand made everything inc the mufflers back in the day ... result ... 217RWKW and with the VL's 1400kg it was starting to move ...

After driving it for a couple of months I bought a VL HSV GPA and the Red VL got parked ... in 95 I dusted it off to do an event called the "Dutton Grand Prix Rallye" .... a four day event from Geelong to Adelaide back when Adelaide had the GP ... I decided it could cop a bigger stick so a Crane Mechanical Roller with the associated hardware was installed ... and wow ... it was a rocket and swung hard to 6600 ... swung to 7000 but at 6600 it was making 254 RWKW ... pretty good for a 304! ...

I did the Dutton and it went back in the garage for another 20 years ... lol .... recently we installed a FAST EFI 4BBL system on it and whoopie ... 271 at the treads and a much better torque spread ...

.. and I'm still not finished ... with the new track at The Bend now up and running I've commissioned another build ... this time Bob Sherry can do the whole job!

I know there are plenty of tough A9Ls (and other Holden based V8's) hanging around in garages of members on here ... let's hear about them ...

And as a footnote .... my all time fav A9L was Marks (HSV-105) VL HSV Group A .... but Lincoln may top them all when he debuts his rocket next year .... that will be something really damn special ....
    Last edited by Sniper; 1 Day Ago at 04:40 PM.

The "Mighty" A9L

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Getting back to the A9L .... from my personal perspective these "homologation based" engines were sitters for modding and as I grew up in the "naturally aspirated" era these cars were just perfect

My first Group A was the 86 HDT and I hadn't modded a car for a few years at the time so with its better than average bottom end and Roller rockered heads done properly with screw in studs I was "hot to trot and bought my very first HDT from Claridge Holden in November 86 ... as a Plus Pack ... and the mods started early in 87 ... firstly with a trip back to Bertie St for the skirts kit and driving lights ... from then I had to save a few dollars to get the 16 x 8 MOMOs ... a few of us went back to Bertie St in march of 8$ to suds out the lates as the Holden/Brock split had hit everyone hard .... I was half interested in getting the "Hi Output" pack and Phil Brock was on hand to talk us through it ... he popped the filing cabinet and pulled out the Cam cards which revealed the 2 on offer we both Wade copies of the Crane 264 and 276 ... HDT also machined 45 thou off the heads to get the comp up to 9.2:1 ... although my maths had that at 9.1:1... anyway HDT was messy and I headed home to ADL to do my own thing ...

Impatiently, we whizzed out the donk and did a full job inc the usual Chev forged pistons and a genuine Crane billet 276 ... and the usual stuff like hi-intensity lifters and dual springs finished off with a set of the Genies that Brock was using on the 87/88 Signature Seies Group 111 ...

Well, that wasn't fast enough (Cam too small) ...

Bob Jane had introduced Auscar Racing at the Thunderdome and all of a sudden a good range of proven stuff and more importantly "info" was crossing my desk ... inc an into to Bob Sherry who was doing Les Smalls heads!! .... and we all know how fast Grice was going back then

So it was Engine out again and the heads and manifold off to Bob and remachined the bottom end and decked the block to achieve 10.4:1 ... fitted up a set of the 2671P Auscar spec short skirt pistons (assembled fully floating) and a Crower (not Crow) 2204 cam (I like Crower gear) and matching dual springs ... I topped it off with an "Annular Discharge" Competition Holley ... back in the car this was pretty sharp .. and made 176 RWKW ... a long way from the 122RWKW we started with ... next stop was a trip to Ken I'Anson in Berri for a decent Exhaust .... Ken knocked up a twin 2 1/4 into a 3" muffler ... 3" over the axle and 3" out the back ... Ken hand made everything inc the mufflers back in the day ... result ... 217RWKW and with the VL's 1400kg it was starting to move ...

After driving it for a couple of months I bought a VL HSV GPA and the Red VL got parked ... in 95 I dusted it off to do an event called the "Dutton Grand Prix Rallye" .... a four day event from Geelong to Adelaide back when Adelaide had the GP ... I decided it could cop a bigger stick so a Crane Mechanical Roller with the associated hardware was installed ... and wow ... it was a rocket and swung hard to 6600 ... swung to 7000 but at 6600 it was making 254 RWKW ... pretty good for a 304! ...

I did the Dutton and it went back in the garage for another 20 years ... lol .... recently we installed a FAST EFI 4BBL system on it and whoopie ... 271 at the treads and a much better torque spread ...

.. and I'm still not finished ... with the new track at The Bend now up and running I've commissioned another build ... this time Bob Sherry can do the whole job!

I know there are plenty of tough A9Ls (and other Holden based V8's) hanging around in garages of members on here ... let's hear about them ...

And as a footnote .... my all time fav A9L was Marks (HSV-105) VL HSV Group A .... but Lincoln may top them all when he debuts his rocket next year .... that will be something really damn special ....
    Thats mad power back then
    Did you feel like a king driving that? That must have been awesome

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Thats mad power back then
    Did you feel like a king driving that? That must have been awesome
    It still is mad to drive ... nimble and sharp with recalibrated Bilstiens and better springs ... and the later front swaybar setup with the mount on the strut rather than the lower arm .... and add the Harrop brakes and it's just a track(ish) combo on the street ...

The Cam is a Crane 248111 with 106 lobe separation and the clearancea are 26 thou ... it is one tough sounding thing - with speed to match .... I may end up with a Mal Wood T56 that he has got perfectly set up for the early Commodore ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    It still is mad to drive ... nimble and sharp with recalibrated Bilstiens and better springs ... and the later front swaybar setup with the mount on the strut rather than the lower arm .... and add the Harrop brakes and it's just a track(ish) combo on the street ...
    ................... ...
    like this (... from the VK race car)

Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

like this (... from the VK race car)

Yep .... it looks like you've got adjustable caster bars too ... I couldn't get any sort of accuracy until I fitted those ... what top mounts are you using? - I'm using those VP ones which were good at the time for additional caster ....

top mounts?

Steel /alloy race ones from Suspension Concepts.. harsh and unforgiving but absolutely no slackness
    (they also do a variety for the road)
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

top mounts?

Steel /alloy race ones from Suspension Concepts.. harsh and unforgiving but absolutely no slackness
    (they also do a variety for the road)
    Mate, I reckon you might just have the best classic "club motorsport" Commodore on the planet. Sure, there's later models, there's LS1s & there's LS3s ra ra ra, with heaps more power, but you have been able to ascend above that, with an absolute classic.
    I suggest you start a new thread detailing the build of your classic, from start (when you bought it, and how you came to buy it) to where you are now.
    Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    I suggest you start a new thread detailing the build of your classic, from start (when you bought it, and how you came to buy it) to where you are now.
    Pickles.
    Ditto that .....

.... and thanks for the tip on Suspension Concepts .... I think I'll visit them later in the year for another project I'm doing!

Thread Information