HSV Forum

Page 2 of 5 First << 1234 ... Last >>
    White_lie do you know what that conversion would set me back?

FollowTheSapper I wish it was as easy as selling this and getting an auto of the exact same specs but it's not. I love the manual and snapping second in a straight line and going in to a 50m power skid is insane but I just feel an auto with a 4k stall would make it so much quicker. It is nice having the 6th gear though as it cruises at 1500rpm on the highway.

Maybe I should just get my diff gears and ride hight sorted and then work out what gearbox I want.

Also does anyone know what stroker kits oztrack use or does that just come down to clients budgets and wants?

Apparently this motor,heads and clutch cost 18k but I'll go through the receipts tomorrow and see what was spent where. Owner couldn't even tell me the compression ratio or what brand heads they are. All I can see is PRC stamped on them

Actually just done a bit of a search and think the heads came from Texas speed shop

Couldn't really say but probably around a 5k (likely a bit higher) budget with a built T400, good converter etc.

An auto with big stall will make driving a big cam easier but shorter gears will also potentially help with that if it's a little doughy down low. Depends a lot on the specs of the motor, cam, tune etc.

Where abouts are you? NSW?

The Texas Speed Magic Sticks used to be a pretty popular cam. Big but ran decent numbers and shouldn't really be too angry in a stroker.

It has to be kept above 2500 or it surges bad. Only time it can go under that is 6th at about 120km

Got the receipts today but no cam specs and no real info. Nothing about comp ratio or even combustion chamber cc. No brand for the stroker it just list that it's all forged. Can't really get the car moving unless you chirp in first or riflde the hell out of the clutch. I'm a lot more use to it today though, haven't driven manual in 3 plus years lol

I'm located in ACT

Hard to comment without knowing the specs but shorter gears and perhaps a look at the tune may make it a little friendlier. Are they definitely 3.46 gears? What RPM does it sit on at 100km/h?

In 6th it's at 1450 at 100km and is undrivable as in it's surging and feels like it wants to stall. 4th gear is 2450 at 100km/hr and car is happy.

Yes definitely stock 3.46

In 6th it's at 1450 at 100km and is undrivable as in it's surging and feels like it wants to stall. 4th gear is 2450 at 100km/hr and car is happy.

Yes definitely stock 3.46

3.91's or 4.11's should bring it up 200-300rpm which will make it a lot more usable.

A 383 should still have a decent amount of pull that far down the rpm range though.
    How is it in 5th? That should give you some indication of how shorter gears will go.

Any gear under 2200 revs and it's horrible, stops chugging over 2200 and then from 2700 up it's phsycotic. Another reason I thought of going auto was I thought with longer stretched out gears I would have a bit more traction. Can't use anything more then 50% throttle in first and second and then about 75% in third, can flat foot in 4th but still spins for a second or two before it hooks up.

I went out the back of Canberra to a deserted stretch of road to try and work out my accelerator points to get a bit of traction down. Just for the hell of it I thought I'd floor it In 1st (rolling at 25km/hr) and see how many gears it would continuously spin through, next second I was in 3rd sideways still at over 160km/hr

I love the car and love the power but it just feels useless in the manual 6 speed and first to second is the worst as those two gears are maxed out in what feels like about 3.5 seconds and it's always spinning, if I try and use a gear higher to help the traction it turns in to a pig. I'll order a diff with 4.11's and give that a crack and if it's no good a th400 is going in.

Thanks heaps for all the help with this. First high powered manual I have had so I really don't know what to do to make it street drivable and usable
    Last edited by Evilvy; 08-07-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Wow! I drove my mates 438ci stroked Monaro CV8-R with big cam and it wasn't that bad! Sure it doesn't need some work on the tune?

Thread Information