HSV Forum

Page 3 of 5 First << 12345 Last >>
    Only problem with 4.11's is you may struggle more for traction. Hopefully get away with a little less clutch slip but the first couple of cogs are also over very quickly. But a lot of people do put 3.91 or 4.11's behind a 6 speed.

Tune may well need work...but if it's got a TS MS3 or 4 in it, it will be quite doughy down low and then hit like a freight train. A lot of tuners will struggle getting good driveability out of it down low. Perhaps a slightly smaller cam to give a lot more torque down low if you want to make it useable/streetable.

Think I'll take it down to gentech this week and take someone for a spin and see what they think. I was talking to the wife about a blower before I bought it but no way now lol would be on the limiter every gear. Hopefully the 4.11's will help with driveability and I noticed that vcm etc say 3.9's minimum with big cams so I reckon that's a problem. As far as traction stuff knows what I'll do there lol

Wife's bmw has 19's with 265 p zero Nero tyres so I might chuck them on the back and see if it helps. One thing I did notice is that no matter how much I spin the tyres and even a third gear burnout produced basically no smoke! Could this be a hard compound/crap tyres?

white_lie that is exactly how I would describe it "hits like a freight train" lol

I never thought 40 extra ish cubes and a cam could make such a difference. Traction is definitely something I'm worried about loosing more with going higher gears! Actually I don't think it's possible to get worse traction lol

What tyres are on there? Could be old and hard if the car wasn't driven that much previously.

Brand is roadclaw which I have never heard of. Tyres have only done 4k as they were put on when the motor was stroked etc. They have been on about 18 months. Didn't get driven much at all since the build as the bloke I bought it off moved out bush and had no where to drive it

Just searched and there about an $80 Tyre so there's a starting point to my traction problems lol

lol
    Put something decent on the back and see if it improves.

Hey guys. Cars been going well so far, have some 245's on the back which have helped with traction issues and have new 4.11 trutrac coming on Sunday to help with the surging and piginess down low. One issue im having is sometimes it feels like the clutch isn't fully engaging even though peddle is pressed to the floor it feels like it's only just enough to get the gear to slip in. I've given it a bit of a hiding but nothing to severe, don't even dump the clutch ever as need it to build revs in first till about 3k before I can try and get in to it and even then it's just a skid fest.

Clutch is a Mantic twin plate, royal purple oils etc. It feels like if the peddle went another inch it would be sweet, is there anything such thing as an adjustment or something for this or is it already shitting itself ( box or clutch?)?

Gears aren't noisy or anything and no slipping under power, just feels really wierd on the changes like pushing through metal channels. Use to feel like shifting through one metal gate and it was in gear, now feels like three metal clunks to get in ( best way I can describe it lol)

Definitely going auto if it's dying lol

Is the grab point low or it just feels like the gears are notchy?
    If it's real low, it may have air in the slave. I've heard the Mantic seem to take a bit of bleeding and driving to get themselves right. I only know of one person personally that runs one and they didn't have any issues but I do hear about it a fair bit.

If the gearbox is notchy, try changing the fluid. Penrite gear oil gets a good rap.

Feels like the gears are notchy, grab point is still fine. Will drop the oil along with the motors this weekend and hopefully that helps. Thanks for your help mate

Also got on to oz track in regards to my engine they built and they gave me a lot of helpful info. Only thing that sucked but I was expecting is high comp of 11.5 so not suitable for boost unless new pistons or race fuel, I knew this would be the case but just had a slight hope previous owner had built it for boost and was just going to do a cam swap lol

They gave me some info on my cam specs too which I didn't expect as was told oztrack wouldn't .

Will post up tomorrow and see what you guys think. I asked him if we could get some more out of it but he said except for some big 4 into 1's and a twin 3inch exhaust I don't really have many options but an even bigger cam but that wouldn't yield much more

He was a really helpful bloke actually and took the time to go through my cars history and correspond through at least 4-5 emails. Considering I wasn't an actual customer and only bought the car from the bloke who got it built I would say that's some pretty good bloody customer service. I'll definitely get these guys to build my next combo

Thread Information