HSV Forum

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last >>

Cool Another vy to my collection and this one should be tuff

Hi guys

I have been slowly building a vy ss with all bolt ons etc. I got an offer I couldn't refuse on it and found another one to buy straight away.

New one is a 383 stroker with a descent size cam, head work etc

Puts out 340rwkw and just under 600nm of torque
    It's a 6 speed manual and has the 3.46 diff

My first question is it has a twin 2.5inch exhaust and I was wondering if I should change this to a 3 inch?

Secondly should I go 3.9 or 4.11 trutrac?

I have had a couple of autos but never a manual. What would be an approximate 1/4 mile time for this car assuming I shift well and is a car like this better to be launched in 2nd?

Suspension etc is all stock and I have ligned up some have front break. What do you guys think my next mods should be as I would love to run in the low 11's

Thanks

Twin 3" will likely be louder, sound deeper but not necessarily pick up any power.

I'd go 4.11's in a manual but you may end up with a noisy set of gears. It's much easier to get quiet 3.9's.

It should run a mid to high 11 depending on how accurate the power figure is. Only one way to find out and then go from there. It may struggle off the line with those gears, I'd have thought it would at least have 3.73's in there. Launch in first, get some ET Streets and likely tweak a few things if you want low 11's out of it. It's not impossible but highly unlikely in its current guise from what you're describing.

Thanks heaps for taking the time to reply mate. I have never dragged so am bloody excited. I'll have a look tonight for some Mickey's. Also it's got the stock manifold, is there much gain in removing this and going with a fast or Holley tunnel type? Some people say there good and then a very reputable place in Canberra told me not to worry as it will need to see 8k worth of revs to make the power. Was also looking at getting some coilovers and now if I'm not upgrading exhaust I could do this next week. Are coils good to get adjusting right for the track or should I be looking at something else? One more thing it has a twin plate button clutch and I was curious what power the m6 will stay together with? I do give my cars a hiding but I ain't the sort of blokes that dumps the clutch every lights and smokes a set of tyres a week
    Last edited by Evilvy; 1 Week Ago at 11:45 PM.

A tunnel ram will need a lot of RPM as said by the shop you spoke to. Depending on the cam that's in there, a FAST intake may see a little gain but they're quite pricey for the potentially gains.

I would do the gears/diff, put some tyres on and see where it's at.

Coilovers will generally be a bit stiff for the strip. You want a lot of give in the suspension to transfer the power to the wheels. But if you want it to handle, there are some good options.

The M6 will handle the power ok, it's the clutches you may go through. If it's a bit notchy, drop the fluid and put something decent in there but they're a pretty strong box.

Great thanks heaps for the info mate. Picking up the car tomorrow so will let you know how it goes

No probs. Keep us posted how you go.

One way to jump in the deep and expensive end, hope you enjoy drag racing once you try it.
    Ben
    1978 Firebird Formula 6.6L W50
    2002 HSV Clubsport R8 255

Ok so picked her up today. Has a beautiful note to it. Bit of a pig and definitely don't think the wife will be able to drive this one ( she used to mash the loud pedal in my 420rwkw bf turbo and she loved it )

Oztrack built the 383 and it has heads that were brought in from America, has there gtx cam which I'm trying to find the specs on. Must admit I do wish it was auto so I'm thinking now I will do a conversion.

So what gearbox do you guys think? TH400 or a 2 speed powerglide?

Also does anyone know what I should sell my manual conversion for? 6 speed and has a twin plate clutch that is only 4k old

Thanks

T400 will handle the power, pretty common conversion. The manual you can probably get 2k or so for, probably a bit more if it's complete with pedals.

Oztrack likely won't give out all the spec's to their cams.

Donít convert, sell it and buy an auto. Someone out there will want a manual, so donít destroy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information