HSV Forum

High idle issues

Hey guys my 08 clubby ls3 randomly when idleing in gear (auto) jumps from normal 750 rpm to 1250 rpm for a few seconds and then drops back down and also idles high at cold start up sometimes any ideas where I might start looking for the problem

Sent from my SM-T385 using Tapatalk

If left in gear, may not be a problem. Engine is also monitoring demands from heating or A/C systems. A temporary 'extra' draw will see the revs increase. Cold start idling is higher because of the extra demand from the oil pump.

Quote Originally Posted by grange250 View Post
    If left in gear, may not be a problem. Engine is also monitoring demands from heating or A/C systems. A temporary 'extra' draw will see the revs increase. Cold start idling is higher because of the extra demand from the oil pump.
    Thanks Grange I don't know if it's related but I just noticed the top radiator hose is almost flat instead of round as if it's been sucked flat by some sort of vacuum. It doesn't overheat at all but can't be good for coolant flow
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well the idle up issue seems to be getting worse interestingly I keep getting a engine coolant sensor number 1 (ecs1) fault code and when I delete the code the engine seems to idle and behave normally for a while on a test drive then plays up again . I have replaced the sensor at front of the left head and still happens Q. is there another ecs sensor ? Any suggestions as to what might be the problem would be greatly appreciated .
    Grange suggested it might be the computer adjusting the revs to compensate for extra draw (sort of) (e.g. aircon) but happens with air con off . Quite concerning when it jumps 500+rpm at the red light and moves towards the car in front .
    Cheers guys

Do you have a custom tune? I had one and cleaned out my throttle body and this started to happen. Tuner gave me a new TB thinking I'd damaged it (i hadn't). The car had to go back for a retune to get it sorted. Mine was an LS2 manual so it didn't lurch forard but it was still very annoying..

Have a read here, there might be some helpful advice. Notice to how polite everyone was to each other back 10 years ago, except me Was definitely before chrome or internet explorer had a built in spell checker too.

http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthrea...2-idle-problem
    Last edited by Audi; 1 Week Ago at 12:34 PM.
    Zorst video: https://youtu.be/R0oKu5PMQG4

#21 2001 VX R8 series II (HSV Racing Green)
    #16 2006 HSV Dealer Team ClubSport (Phanton Black)
    #771 2010 E2 GTS (wildfire)

Thanks Audi I'll check that out . Yes I do have a custom tune after talking to a mate yesterday it seems to have started after I cleaned and reoiled the air filter so thinks I have over oiled and fouled up the MAF sensor so I'm gonna try cleaning that
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah that sounds very similar to my situation. Although I had a mafless setup.
    Last edited by Audi; 1 Week Ago at 01:36 PM.
    Zorst video: https://youtu.be/R0oKu5PMQG4

#21 2001 VX R8 series II (HSV Racing Green)
    #16 2006 HSV Dealer Team ClubSport (Phanton Black)
    #771 2010 E2 GTS (wildfire)

Yep cleaning the TB on these will do that. Mine done the same after retune. Took a few days to relearn the idle. Nothing you can do about it other than wait for the relearn to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NU13 View Post
    Yep cleaning the TB on these will do that. Mine done the same after retune. Took a few days to relearn the idle. Nothing you can do about it other than wait for the relearn to happen.
    Thanks mate I cleaned the filter yesterday and re-oiled this morning (lightly) started with no filter and seemed less bad then installed filter and it didn't want to start had to hold accelerator down then started but ran rough as guts and blew some white smoke and smelt wrong then after a minute or so it settled down but put the OBD scanner thing on and the engine coolant sensor 1 reading high fault was back so cleared that and ran ok for a few starts taking the missus for some shopping high idle was less bad so hoping for the relearn thing to kick in then this arvo went to bunnings and when I went to leave had to hold accelerator down again to start . Getting frustrated might have to take it to Holden but was hoping not to . anyway thanks for your advice guys
    Cheers Mark

Run your scanner again and see if the coolant sensor code is back. If it is there is your problem.

Thread Information