HSV Forum

Brake Kits from late to early

Just letting everyone know we still supply brake pads for all models and all occasions and also disc rotors and big brake upgrades. We have a few brake upgrades in the pipeline and some may know we have front brackets available for VE HSV brakes to fit earlier commodore models but now e are 3/4's of the way through our 2 piece rear kits that adapt the rear VE HSV brakes to earlier models as well.that adapt late model brakes to early commodores.

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101
    www.racebrakessydney.com.au

Sounds great Matt. I know a lot of guys with earlier models that would prefer to use the VE brakes as people are asking crazy money for the larger VT-VZ brakes

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Sounds great Matt. I know a lot of guys with earlier models that would prefer to use the VE brakes as people are asking crazy money for the larger VT-VZ brakes
    Your telling me. It is virtually impossible to buy a AP Racing HSV kit for a VT-VZ now and the Harrop ones are still getting $2500 to $3500 2nd hand. I have a customer who has a Harrop kit with the factory xdrilled rotors and the calipers have been overhauled and painted a green which i think was the same colour as the VR VS SV5000 but anyway also has put the HDT emblem on them after removing the HSV one. He is after 3k or so for them if you know of anyone.

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101

with these kits, we will use what type of rotors (eg VE ones) or Say DBA T3's to suit car model, will they have an effect on wheel offset, I have just found online someone supply this type of kit From pads, pins, calipers the whole lot front and rear, but they mention using the VE/VF disc, and machining the bore (plus chamfer on edge for clearance against hub) also restricts using offset of 35mm – 42mm most HSV wheels are 48, also using bush's for the hub studs to fill in for the bigger diameter studs
    Quote from their site IMPORTANT: You will need to enlarge the centre hole on both front and rear rotors from 67.4mm to 71.4mm (if you follow the same taper/angle as the stock centre hole). If you cannot reproduce the same taper, then it is recommend to increase the hole size to 76.2mm – this will still allow the disc to still sit central on the hub because of the stainless steel stud sleeves (included with our kit)."your thoughts Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MYVESSV8 View Post
    with these kits, we will use what type of rotors (eg VE ones) or Say DBA T3's to suit car model, will they have an effect on wheel offset, I have just found online someone supply this type of kit From pads, pins, calipers the whole lot front and rear, but they mention using the VE/VF disc, and machining the bore (plus chamfer on edge for clearance against hub) also restricts using offset of 35mm – 42mm most HSV wheels are 48, also using bush's for the hub studs to fill in for the bigger diameter studs
    Quote from their site IMPORTANT: You will need to enlarge the centre hole on both front and rear rotors from 67.4mm to 71.4mm (if you follow the same taper/angle as the stock centre hole). If you cannot reproduce the same taper, then it is recommend to increase the hole size to 76.2mm – this will still allow the disc to still sit central on the hub because of the stainless steel stud sleeves (included with our kit)."your thoughts Matt
    Using the VE/VF rotors causes an issue with wheel clearance on most pre VE cars. The rear handbrake issue is not mentioned above as the rear VE/VF disc does not make full use of the handbrake shoes and also leaves it exposed. The centre holes do have to be machined out and it is preferred to redrill the wheel studs for he correct size. Wheel location is important.
    We have brackets made for the front VE HSV kits to fit and as long as the centre hole and stud hols are done the kit will be fine with the correct wheels. We are working on a greater offset front kit so wheels wont be as much as a an issue but this will be dearer and require two piece rotors.
    There are many cheap options for fitting brake kits but not all are good unfortunately.

Our VB to VZ 2 piece rear 355mm kits run the VE HSV rear 4 pot calipers and are 90% complete now. We will double check them on possibly my own Monaro to see the actual fitment. The early VB to VS non irs kit has already been fitted to a car in Vic and is running fine and both rear kit will sit inwards a litt
    le further.

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101

Quote Originally Posted by MYVESSV8 View Post
    with these kits, we will use what type of rotors (eg VE ones) or Say DBA T3's to suit car model, will they have an effect on wheel offset, I have just found online someone supply this type of kit From pads, pins, calipers the whole lot front and rear, but they mention using the VE/VF disc, and machining the bore (plus chamfer on edge for clearance against hub) also restricts using offset of 35mm 42mm most HSV wheels are 48, also using bush's for the hub studs to fill in for the bigger diameter studs
    Quote from their site IMPORTANT: You will need to enlarge the centre hole on both front and rear rotors from 67.4mm to 71.4mm (if you follow the same taper/angle as the stock centre hole). If you cannot reproduce the same taper, then it is recommend to increase the hole size to 76.2mm this will still allow the disc to still sit central on the hub because of the stainless steel stud sleeves (included with our kit)."your thoughts Matt
    Using the VE/VF rotors causes an issue with wheel clearance on most pre VE cars. The rear handbrake issue is not mentioned above as the rear VE/VF disc does not make full use of the handbrake shoes and also leaves it exposed. The centre holes do have to be machined out and it is preferred to redrill the wheel studs for he correct size. Wheel location is important.
    We have brackets made for the front VE HSV kits to fit and as long as the centre hole and stud hols are done the kit will be fine with the correct wheels. We are working on a greater offset front kit so wheels wont be as much as a an issue but this will be dearer and require two piece rotors.
    There are many cheap options for fitting brake kits but not all are good unfortunately.

Our VB to VZ 2 piece rear 355mm kits run the VE HSV rear 4 pot calipers and are 90% complete now. We will double check them on possibly my own Monaro to see the actual fitment. The early VB to VS non irs kit has already been fitted to a car in Vic and is running fine and both rear kit will sit inwards a litt
    le further.

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101

Can i fit vf gts brakes on ve gts with 20 inch rims? Anyone have a source for a kit? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Can i fit vf gts brakes on ve gts with 20 inch rims? Anyone have a source for a kit? Thanks
    They wont bolt straight up.The VF front have 14mm mounting holes and VE are 12mm and the rear handbrake size is also different in size/dia than the VE even the VF clubby. You may be able to buy the GTS handbrake set up and bolt it on but i haven't seen or tried this.Only 2nd hand kits available from what we have seen and they are selling around 4.5k.

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101

Thread Information