HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Gen-F2 GTS Headlights

Being retired, I don't get much chance to drive my GTS at night, and my driving has been almost exclusively in the daytime. Tonight, I went for a drive to the local shopping centre and was quite surprised by the poor quality of the light from the low beam headlights. The beam colour was quite yellow and didn't seem to light up the road very well. High beam was better but nothing to write home about. I was expecting the projector headlights fitted to the GTS to provide superior lighting but that doesn't appear to be the case. The quality is far worse than my previous VX GTS which had upgraded bulbs (Philips X-tremePower). Alternator and battery seem to be in good condition, the car is less than two years old, and has travelled some 20k kms. Is this poor lighting normal? Do I need upgraded bulbs?
    GEN-F2 GTS, VS Clubsport 185i

the standard bulbs are terrible you need to upgrade them. I used Phillips Crystal Vision seem a lot better then standard. They are a bit of a pain to change though

I just changed my low beam to the HID KIT off eBay they were $145 and it’s plug and play and looks factory on soldering and jumping into other harnesses and the lighting is pure white and 1000 times better than standard and took about 20 to do both lights I just took the two front wheels off and released the splash trays and went in through the wheel arch was easy to get to the back of the headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox666 View Post
    I just changed my low beam to the HID KIT off eBay they were $145 and it’s plug and play and looks factory on soldering and jumping into other harnesses and the lighting is pure white and 1000 times better than standard and took about 20 to do both lights I just took the two front wheels off and released the splash trays and went in through the wheel arch was easy to get to the back of the headlights
    Have a link by any chance?

Just look up on eBay , H7 low beam HID for a VF Commodore canbus compatiable plug and play they are $149

Been using HID's since my old VY Maloo years ago and had them on several cars since.. Wouldn't have a car without them. Have always gone 55w/6k for low and high beam. Just need to pay attention to "aiming" the low beam so you don't blind the oncoming traffic. Adjusting the "left to right" settings on the drivers side low beam will help here.

I always adjust the lights at a Panel Beaters workshop as they have the "whiteboard" ajustment setup with gridlines so you can get it perfect. Are they legal ????/ We all know thew answer to that !

Because the GEN F2 is canbus, you may need to also get "Anti Flicker" capacitors, depending on the kit you get, which go inline with the wiring to stop the lights from blinking when the engine is running. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Below is my old Gen F Maloo with 55w/6k HID's all round. Brilliant White and you will certainly see where you're going. No photo's yet of the GTSR but the result is pretty well the same.

You need to install all lights with the electrode facing down when viewed from the front of the car otherwise you'll get black "deadspots" as shown below. Some globes may need to have the housing modified to allow this.

and

Correct Installation below

Hope this helps............
    GTSR Maloo Interchiller

I have these in a Magnum ute, plug and play, no canbus problems.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plug-and...item1c70472f65
    I have similar lamps in an E3 Maloo and a VE Redline ute.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the items mentioned.
    GEN-F2 GTS, VS Clubsport 185i

Mate I put these in my Clubsport they are awesome. A bit expensive but lights awesome.

http://www.ae-international.com.au/v...canbus-h7-35w/

Mate i put these in my VF Clubsport both High and Low beam and they are awesome. A little pricey but what a difference.

http://www.ae-international.com.au/v...canbus-h7-35w/

Thread Information