HSV Forum

Page 2 of 3 First << 123 Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_sv6 View Post
    Nice list of items there. I use some different products but that's personal choice.

My opinion on a couple of items

I have 4 buckets.
    1 x 20 litre used exclusively for car body shampoo
    1 x 20 litre used for the non body parts (wheels and calipers and exhaust tips and internals of the exhaust tips and under bonnet and door / boot edges.
    2 x 9 litre buckets used as pre rinse. Most people know of the two bucket method. I've just added another rinse bucket in between and the amount of fallout this middle bucket collects will explain why I use it. Just a little extra OCD in me, without being super excessive.
    Always use the products you're most comfortable, or happy with man.

That's a really good wash method! Importantly using a dedicated wash bucket for the dirtier sections of the car always helps, try using plush towels, or a seperate wash mitt for these sections too. I've been trialling a new method on my mum's car actually, using only 1x 20L bucket with shampoo, after every single panel place your wash mitt under one of your wiper blades and pressure rinse both sides until clean, and carrying a spray bottle around with your shampoo and water, and spraying every panel and the mitt after every rinse, as after a few panels you'll have diluted your wash bucket. After 9 months on dark paint, with no coating or film applied I can't see any swirling or scratching, just the odd water spot, she's happy as .

I just thought, for basics the 2 bucket method would be the least cmplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Yes, I get all that, but when you've soaped them & disturbed/loosened the dust, do you use a pressure washer to get it all off, or is the pressure of a simple garden hose good enough?
    Pickles.
    I've used just a regular hose with a cheap bunnings attachment to wash wheels many times. Your pressure washer will be a bit faster, and get rid of more dirt during the initial rinse down, but wont make much difference after that, once you've washed them, a garden hose is fine to rinse away all your wheel cleaner.

With regards to paint though, a pressure washer will always be better because you can rinse away a LOT more dirt without touching the paint.

I use a foam lance and let it soak for 5 minutes in the shade....wash it off with pressure cleaner and do wheels as well.
    Then use micro fibre chamois to dry off. I also use filtered water as we have hard water in WA. Which leaves no streaks...then up on the hoist to do inside of wheels and calipers
    I use a ph neutral detergent in the foam lance and never use a sponge, mitt or rag to rub over the detergent on the car
    Then I use compressed air to blow water out of any crevices and chamois it off

Quote Originally Posted by Eors View Post
    I use a foam lance and let it soak for 5 minutes in the shade....wash it off with pressure cleaner and do wheels as well.
    Then use micro fibre chamois to dry off. I also use filtered water as we have hard water in WA. Which leaves no streaks...then up on the hoist to do inside of wheels and calipers
    I use a ph neutral detergent in the foam lance and never use a sponge, mitt or rag to rub over the detergent on the car
    Then I use compressed air to blow water out of any crevices and chamois it off
    Your wash process sounds very safe mate, by the sounds of it you don’t hand wash the car? What sort of protection are you using on your paint after washing it?

What is your filtered water setup? I learnt real quick about having hard water here hahaha

Detailing Products - The Basics.

Quote Originally Posted by adzy_b View Post
    Your wash process sounds very safe mate, by the sounds of it you don’t hand wash the car? What sort of protection are you using on your paint after washing it?

What is your filtered water setup? I learnt real quick about having hard water here hahaha
    The car is coated with 2pple Mistico Elemento glass coat and I do not hand wash it...that can create swirls in dark colours

I use a filter with mixed ion resins that “soften” the water up and removed the hard elements and totally dissolved solids

After drying no protection is required because of the glass coat...only the covercraft car cover that goes on after it is dry

The car had full paint correction the week I took delivery...the dealer was not even allowed to wash the car do they didn’t scratch/swirl the paint. Wheels and calipers were also coated
    Last edited by Eors; 30-05-2018 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eors View Post
    The car is coated with 2pple Mistico Elemento glass coat and I do not hand wash it...that can create swirls in dark colours

I use a filter with mixed ion resins that “soften” the water up and removed the hard elements

After drying no protection is required because of the glass coat...only the cover that goes on after it is dry

The car had full paint correction the week I took delivery...the dealer was not even allowed to wash the car do they didn’t scratch/swirl the paint. Wheels and calipers were also coated
    Ahhh that explains it, thought it might’ve been coated. One of the best things to happen to paint protection was coatings, they take your car to another level. I’ll be doing a thread on coating wheels and calipers after they’re repainted.

Sweet as, I’ll be sure to look into the water filter soon!

Was waiting for the coating topic to come. Really good thread and well informed by a guy that knows his stuff. What is your opinion on ceramic coating. I purchased a VF Clubsport and shortly after buying it got ceramic coating on paint, wheels, interior and windows. I think it's come up well even now after a year. Just hope I made the right decision. Guy that did mine uses opti-coat. Really easy to clean. Bought pH neutral car wash. Just like you send, was told to always use pH neutral products on all parts.
    Cheers Anthony.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by antr8lsa View Post
    Was waiting for the coating topic to come. Really good thread and well informed by a guy that knows his stuff. What is your opinion on ceramic coating. I purchased a VF Clubsport and shortly after buying it got ceramic coating on paint, wheels, interior and windows. I think it's come up well even now after a year. Just hope I made the right decision. Guy that did mine uses opti-coat. Really easy to clean. Bought pH neutral car wash. Just like you send, was told to always use pH neutral products on all parts.
    Cheers Anthony.

Coatings are great....but you have to get any paint correction ( scratches, imperfections) fixed BEFORE you put the coating on otherwise you just put a clear coat on top of the existing problems. The coating spec that last forever at some point it will need to be reapplied...depends on how much you wash it...if it lives out in the direct sunlight...environmental factors

Quote Originally Posted by antr8lsa View Post
    Cheers Anthony.

Thanks mate . Ceramic coatings are excellent, if you look after them you'll see the best aesthetics, and water behaviour of any paint protection products out there. They're also highly UV, and acid protective, so where bird droppings and tree sap, if left on for more than a few hours, would be quite hard to remove on paint with just sealants or waxes applied, you can just wash the car with a pressure washer and it flows right off. They require far less maintenance, just apply the correct sealant once a quarter, wash it at least once a month if outside. You've definitely made the right choice man, and if anyone was thinking about taking this step go for it, you will not regret it!

The only product I'd consider another step forward would be self-healing paint protection film, it's highly protective being that if swirls or scratches are inflicted the heat from the sun 'melts' the film back together forming a perfect surface again, and the paint is protected even further because it isn't in the elements. Though this film also has its drawbacks, Mainly the cost, $4k to do an entire car, much the same as a full colour change wrap, and I personally feel the gloss and aesthetics of the car aren't as good as if it was just paint with a coating applied. Quite a few people will just do certain high-traffic areas, ie. the bonnet, front bumper, front guards, side mirror's if painted, luggage strip, roof, door cups. I'll probably be doing a couple of those areas soon to my car.
    Last edited by adzy_b; 30-05-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Been looking at ppf myself, had a look at a couple of cars last week that had just been done in Xpel ultimate which is made off patterns. I didn't like seeing the edges of the film and while the car was dirty you could see the edge of the film which was a bit off putting. Some edges were rolled over but others weren't and this is where it showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsmow View Post
    Been looking at ppf myself, had a look at a couple of cars last week that had just been done in Xpel ultimate which is made off patterns. I didn't like seeing the edges of the film and while the car was dirty you could see the edge of the film which was a bit off putting. Some edges were rolled over but others weren't and this is where it showed up.
    Yeah mate exactly what I thought, I'm fairly sure that is the installer. If I was having to pay that sort of money for essentially a wrap, I don't want to see any film edges. If companies can vinyl wrap a car completely without any edges showing so can ppf installers.

For the cost, I'll stick to my coating .

Thread Information