HSV Forum

Page 3 of 3 First << 123
    It definately wasn't as glossy with the film on either, it does protect from stone chips though so I guess compromise is what it's about.

Thanks Eors and adzy-b for your reply and good advice. I always clean car with micro cloth after every drive. Only a weekend car. Always have a cover on car. One thing I want to get re done, is I got stone chip film on bumper bar which I'm happy with. But I must have miss interpreted what film the guy was to put on the bonnet. Only about 1/4 of bonnet and front guards done. Looks ugly special when the film edge sticks out big time. Got to do a 12 month detail back soon. Will get whole bonnet and guards done then. Wish I had a hoist to take wheels off to clean inside of wheels. Have always serviced my own cars in the past. But have found this car to be harder to lift due to the weight of the car and my lifting equipment I've got.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsmow View Post
    It definately wasn't as glossy with the film on either, it does protect from stone chips though so I guess compromise is what it's about.
    Definitely have to compromise with ppf, but for some people who are willing to pay the money for it, they'll never have to worry about scratches or stone chips or anything while it's on there.

Quote Originally Posted by antr8lsa View Post
    Thanks Eors and adzy-b for your reply and good advice. I always clean car with micro cloth after every drive. Only a weekend car. Always have a cover on car. One thing I want to get re done, is I got stone chip film on bumper bar which I'm happy with. But I must have miss interpreted what film the guy was to put on the bonnet. Only about 1/4 of bonnet and front guards done. Looks ugly special when the film edge sticks out big time. Got to do a 12 month detail back soon. Will get whole bonnet and guards done then. Wish I had a hoist to take wheels off to clean inside of wheels. Have always serviced my own cars in the past. But have found this car to be harder to lift due to the weight of the car and my lifting equipment I've got.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately that is a common package that ppf installers do, as that is the majority of the high volume traffic, it just doesnt look the greatest. It will be really good once you complete the whole thing though!

If you want to clean the inner barrels of your wheels man, buy the Daytona Wheel Brush from Waxit, you can also buy it from just about any other detailing site too. It's a really good brush, it can get in between just about anywhere, and lasts a long time. If you really want to get in there, go and buy a cheap wash mitt from supercheap or wherever, dont spend a heap, and use that behind the spokes , just remember it never goes anywhere other than wheels ever again, and wash it in the washing machine by itself.

I'll be putting up a full wheel, tyre, and caliper detail very soon, with all products and brushes etc. I used.

Quote Originally Posted by adzy_b View Post
    Definitely have to compromise with ppf, but for some people who are willing to pay the money for it, they'll never have to worry about scratches or stone chips or anything while it's on there.

Unfortunately that is a common package that ppf installers do, as that is the majority of the high volume traffic, it just doesnt look the greatest. It will be really good once you complete the whole thing though!

If you want to clean the inner barrels of your wheels man, buy the Daytona Wheel Brush from Waxit, you can also buy it from just about any other detailing site too. It's a really good brush, it can get in between just about anywhere, and lasts a long time. If you really want to get in there, go and buy a cheap wash mitt from supercheap or wherever, dont spend a heap, and use that behind the spokes , just remember it never goes anywhere other than wheels ever again, and wash it in the washing machine by itself.

I'll be putting up a full wheel, tyre, and caliper detail very soon, with all products and brushes etc. I used.
    "Daytona Wheel Brush"?....absolutely THE BEST WHEEL BRUSH ever.
    I usually use the normal size one, but I've got a smaller version too. I've always washed my wheels/calipers with my ordinary car wash that I have in the bucket, (AFTER I've washed the car of course!).
    I hose off the inner rims first to get rid of all the loose stuff & hopefully moisten dust etc that's there, then I just dip the brush in the bucket, then insert brush between spokes etc & scrub away with Daytona Wheel brush, then hose off,...does a good job for me.
    Can't speak highly enough of the Daytona Wheel Brush.
    Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Yes, I get all that, but when you've soaped them & disturbed/loosened the dust, do you use a pressure washer to get it all off, or is the pressure of a simple garden hose good enough?
    Pickles.
    Sorry Pickles, I haven't been on the forum for a few days. I rinse with a soft pressure hose, then I use snow foam with the Gerni to do the initial soak and loosen the dirt. If the car is extremely dirty (like multiple km on dirt/muddy roads), I will hose off the snow foam and reapply a fresh foam and then use my microfibre wash mitt to wash the car, rinsing it regularly in the two rinse buckets.

I used to spend multiple hours every three months hand applying Dodo Wax, but these days, I just cant be bothered spending that much time (Especially when I drive three cars and all three need attention). So mostly, it's a clay bar every six months but reapply Meguiars Nxt Wax (polymer sealant, rather than actually a wax) every three months. After three months I couldn't pick the difference between the Dodo Juice wax and the Meguiars Nxt Wax, yet the Next Wax, is applied and removed in about 30-45mins.

Much better use of my time on my days off.
    MY12.5 Clubsport Manual in Alto Grey, MY16 SV6 auto in Phantom, MY11 SV6 auto in Voodoo, 1964 EH Manual wagon in Cream.

Another vote for ceramic coatings for me.

I had Gtechniq products used on my car; Crystal Serum Ultra being the main one.
    It cost a bit, however the car came up great and is really easy to clean. Most dirt/marks just fall off it with the pressure washer and there's very little actual rubbing with a wash mit required (if at all).

I also had my wheels and brake calipers coated and they're also a lot easier to keep clean than I expected.

I generally wash my car once to twice a fortnight. Process as follows (usually over a beer or two on a Sunday afternoon).
    1. Spray with pressure washer to get rid of most dirt.
    2. Use foam cannon and let foam sit for about half a beer.
    3. Rinse off with pressure washer.
    4. Use 2 bucket method and wash mit to gently wash (basically just let the mit glide over the paint with little to no pressure). Rinsing off panels as I go with the pressure washer.
    5. Head to fridge and grab another beer.
    6. Use a microfiber cloth, wheel woolies and the 2 bucket method to wash wheels, calipers and lower parts of the car (skirts, lower bumpers, exhaust tips, etc). Rinsing off with pressure washer as I go.
    7. Finally I have a couple of microfiber cloths I use to dry off, and lately with Gtechniq quick detailer which seems to work well and leaves the car silky smooth and looking great.

Anyway, car looks better than new and I couldn't be happier.
    Only thing extra I'd like to do is start using some sort of tyre shine/cleaner product.

Cheers
    Benno
    Last edited by Benno25; 18-06-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benno25 View Post
    Another vote for ceramic coatings for me.

I had Gtechniq products used on my car; Crystal Serum Ultra being the main one.
    It cost a bit, however the car came up great and is really easy to clean. Most dirt/marks just fall off it with the pressure washer and there's very little actual rubbing with a wash mit required (if at all).

I also had my wheels and brake calipers coated and they're also a lot easier to keep clean than I expected.

I generally wash my car once to twice a fortnight. Process as follows (usually over a beer or two on a Sunday afternoon).
    1. Spray with pressure washer to get rid of most dirt.
    2. Use foam cannon and let foam sit for about half a beer.
    3. Rinse off with pressure washer.
    4. Use 2 bucket method and wash mit to gently wash (basically just let the mit glide over the paint with little to no pressure). Rinsing off panels as I go with the pressure washer.
    5. Head to fridge and grab another beer.
    6. Use a microfiber cloth, wheel woolies and the 2 bucket method to wash wheels, calipers and lower parts of the car (skirts, lower bumpers, exhaust tips, etc). Rinsing off with pressure washer as I go.
    7. Finally I have a couple of microfiber cloths I use to dry off, and lately with Gtechniq quick detailer which seems to work well and leaves the car silky smooth and looking great.

Anyway, car looks better than new and I couldn't be happier.
    Only thing extra I'd like to do is start using some sort of tyre shine/cleaner product.

Cheers
    Benno
    Car looks fantastic man.

Nice and easy wash method mate, one thing I would definitely suggest is to clean your wheels and tyres before the rest of the car. If you clean them after you've washed your paint and dried it, dirt and debris from your wheels and wheel brushes will go straight back onto your fresh paint that you've spent ages cleaning; I've put a full wheel and tyre detail up in this section, have a read when you get the chance. Once your wheels and tyres are fully clean, do your same wash method to your paint then dry it, apply your paint protection, clean your glass, and then at the end finish off your wheels and tyres with paint protection and tyre shine.

You can't go past Carpro PERL for a tyre/trim shine man, I think it's the best. Go and grab some Meguire's foam applicators from Supercheap to apply it with. IMO a car isn't complete until the tyres and wheels are protected and looking as good as the paint .
    2016 VF Clubsport LSA - Stock for now, always clean.

Thanks for the tips.
    Much appreciated.

Cheers

Thread Information