HSV Forum

Page 8 of 8 First << ... 678
    Okay awesome thanks for that heads up mate, il try doing that and pulling the lid off and see what is going on.

Kirk, my car has never done this in the past 2 years though, so why is it doing it now all of sudden ? you would think if there was an issue with head pressure it would have done it from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by ASD14 View Post
    Okay awesome thanks for that heads up mate, il try doing that and pulling the lid off and see what is going on.

Kirk, my car has never done this in the past 2 years though, so why is it doing it now all of sudden ? you would think if there was an issue with head pressure it would have done it from day one.
    -------------------------------------

If it has lost coolant in the brick or elsewhere that will create a small airlock that overtime would have been getting larger and larger and that will cause the pump to start cycling off, you'd be surprised how little air it takes for it not to function. If you don't see any coolant in the lid I'd check all your connections around the cooling circuit (pump, hoses, exchanger etc.) and if you don't find any leaks, re-prime the pump to 100% eliminate that as the cause, a good idea as well would be to go to an auto spark and for them to check your pump is actually working.

When my car lost its prime after I installed the chiller at idle I'd see about a +1'C every 20-30 seconds, at cruise it increased in temp about every 5 seconds, once I realised what had happened I drove back home and re-primed it. Prepare to lose some coolant, my engine bay still smells like it after more than a month hahaha.
    2016 VF Clubsport LSA - FI Interchiller, Lid spacer, 12L res. Best time = 12.171 @115.26mph 1.836 60' on a street tyre.

Well the only thing I can think of, is hsv had to replace my waterpump about a month ago as it was making a shrieking / squeeling sound and they had to replace the coolant for that.

Don't believe this has anything to do with the intercooler system does it?? but seems coincidental as since then my IAT's have been higher 100%.

The stock pump is a literal pain in the as5 to bleed the air out of.

Do the following:
    1. With your left hand reach down to where the pump is place the back of your pointer and index finger over the pump housing around the hose.
    2. have someone start the car be sure you are clear of the belts
    3. after 10sec of engine run time you will feel the pump vibrate
    4. after another 10sec of engine run time the pump will turn off if there is air in the system.
    5. remove top supercharger hose, place funnel into the hose jiggle and keep filling the hose until fluid comes out of the charger.
    6. put hose back on the charger
    7. place funnel into the fill port of the charger
    8. fill this with fluid turn the car on/off as many times as needed until the pump is running continuously (check this with your fingers placed over the pump feeling it run)
    9. this will all take 1hr of thereabouts
    10. With the car running and pump known to be running have someone rip the funnel out as you simultaneously jam the bung plug into the fill port, kind of a 3,2,1 go type of job. (You do it with it running as the vacuum the pump is pulling allows more fluid in the system. You will see when you turn the car off the fluid level in he funnel rises, so pull it out and plug it whilst itís running

(Again more reason to put the reservoir on the car)

The factory pump if at 98% capacity will turn off
    if water has evaporated long term thats why itís not running now.
    we have also seen them not running from the factory as the system is so difficult to bleed.

the reservoir solves the issues, makes bleeding it go from a 1hr job to a 3min job.

but the above is the steps to go over your current issue.
    Last edited by GenF-GTS; 1 Week Ago at 01:43 AM. Reason: Step 10 added to the above

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

I'd buy his reservior, but hey I've bought his complete IAT2 kit. This is genuine Australian made and developed gear.

Kirk,

You were right mate, I started the car and the pump started up but after about 10 seconds it turned off.... I left the car idling for about 2 min and it didn't come back on..

Im going to take it back to HSV and get them to bleed the system, its under warranty still so might aswell get them to do it.

Cheers guys.

Glad you tried the method I suggested for checking and confirming the issue.
    However the issue will come back at some stage and/or Holden will plug in and say everything is fine.

The ECU doesnít throw any error codes for intercooler pump leaks or when it turns off.

And as described you have to have 2 people to fill the system whilst itís running to rip out the funnel and jam in the bung plug as quickly as possible to try and contain 100% fluid capacity.

The dealership manual states to fill under vacuum (something not possible unless all fluid is removed first) and even Iíve done this pulling it down to 25Ē and then still having to jiggle hoses and do the 2 person job with the funnel as the final step.

Whilst yes I well I sell and make the reservoir youíd always ***ume Iíd push you in that direction but it is the only solution long term.

You place 12L of head pressure on the pump, the factory system needs a reservoir, the hellcat and trackhawk have a reservoir fill bottle.

Your issue will come back if correctly fixed, Iíve seen them not running with under 5000km brand new from HSV.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

12 L of intercooler reserve fluid sounds like good engineering as is - the reduced bleed/know it is bled factor. Check out the cost, it seems a no brainer on a high value car.
    Last edited by SenatorW; 2 Days Ago at 03:54 PM. Reason: grammar

Yep im hearing you mate! In the short term, im going to try and get the air out the system, but I can see the benefits of the bigger ressi now for sure.

You wouldn't happen have a video of how to bleed the system by any chance?

Thread Information