Thread: LSA Blower Ice

LSA Blower Ice

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Yes, I had the same thing on mine tonight due to low ambient temps,I will be after your new hoses when they are ready as well
    I have a question if you can help out thanks Kirk
    Took a few screen shots of my cars details tonight from the mobile showing the IAT2 ,Ambient and the PSI of the A/C system
    Can you explain to me why the big differences in PSI with the A/C unit but very little change in the IAT2 temps
    The lowest temperature I saw was -5C but this was at approx 65psi,I am totally confused as to the A/C system and how it performs with the chiller.This was with cabin air off and heat exchanger off
    I have the race solenoid and another solenoid to run the heat exchanger as well as well as the bigger unit
    With the heat exchanger mixing with the chiller it got to 5C and with the cabin air on as well as the chiller and heat exchanger it went 7C
    Attached Images

The AC pressure will correlate to the ambient conditions and the temperature of the intercooler fluid.

You will notice as an example if you are at 160psi when you hit 158psi the IAT2 will drop within 1-2 minutes by 1c, then when you drop to 156psi the same thing again will happen another 1c drop in temps.

Now based on only that info you would assume when you are hitting 65-70psi you are going to see a massive difference.

The issue here is you are approaching the limitation of the refrigerant, which is -26c

We know that your intercooler fluid temp is about 10c colder than the IAT2 on the LSA.

So when you are seeing -5c intake temps the fluid is -15c

Given that you are applying, blower/engine running heat into this fluid the minor difference between -15c and -26c is going to be your variable, you may very well have an internal temperature inside the chiller close to -26c.

The next thing will be temperature losses, eg intercooler hoses, we know insulating them from engine heat and also keeping the cold temperature trapped in braided hose is worth a few degrees, along with the reservoir and also your suction AC line from chiller to block fitting and from block fitting to compressor. Insulating the suction line will further retain energy from being lost to ambient temps or engine bay temps.

The next variable is our AC compressor speed, the VF is a variable displacement compressor, we'd have to get a read on the BCM to know what it is doing, but it very well could be displacing less and less as the pressures are lower and lower. Compared to older cars which are either on or off style not variable displacement.

You are however right near the minimum we have seen, so far best I have seen is -8c IAT2 on a VF LSA.

I am always looking to improve things, so for me I have a couple of ideas up my sleeve and once tested and proven i'll certainly let people know.

Based on your temps its working great.
    Hope that explanation helps you understand it a little more mate.

If you have any more questions ask away happy to help.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Thanks for the explanation ,makes a lot more sense now
    I was a little hesitant on using the stock heat exchanger as an additional option (track circuit days) as it had to be plumbed into the blower cooling/chiller system but i dont seem to be loosing out on the cooling efficiency of the chiller either
    Hopefully before summer you will have a few more goodies for the LSA as I will be changing over to the larger reservoir and braided hoses as I want to get into the 10s on the strip

Thread Information