HSV Forum

How much is too much power???

Ive currently got my engine at an engine builder theyve looked at it and it needs a slight tidy up nothing major just a 5thou.

Ive decided to go a forged 383 stroker. But im trying to decide how big to go with the power i want a car that pulls but i dont wanna be on skates.

What kind of power do people have on vy chasis and how managable is it?

Ive done the prep work and renewed all components involved with getting the power down (didnt wanna put a new motor in a worn car)

So how much is too much. It wont be a drag car. I just want to utilise the potential of this chasis for the street. (Kind of like driving a vf power house) my car looks nice but i just wanted to bring it into 2018 power range

It depends on how it's being delivered.
    I've got over 500rwhp from a 5.7L with 9psi from a top mount charger and it's sedate enough to drive every day yet has more than enough power to turn the tyres and have some fun. If that same figure was delivered from an NA 5.7L, it would be an animal and pig to drive daily. It may be a stretch for a stroker and you start sacrificing driveability to make more power. Some people don't mind that, all depends what you want out of the car

Depends on torque as well

Unless you went wider tires or better suspension and brakes 500hp at the engine is more than enough for a vy

How much is too much power???

Tyres and suspension setup plays a big part, canít comment on the power level you would like as its very personal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NZ EVLHSV; 17-05-2018 at 04:48 AM.
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

Strokers tend to make a lot more torque than their bore based displacement counterparts and being 6.3l id say a fair bit.

Tyres were on my list of things to upgrade. How big can you get on vy rear?

What do u have whitelie??

Are the harrop brakes not enough?

Ive renewed all suspension springs and bushes on the car with aftermarket. Diff has been rebuilt and it has a t56 now. Ive tried to prepare as best as i can

Stroker is already happening its been bought and is in the works.

Heads are decided

The cam and tune will probably be the deciding factor of how much power and where i make it.

The car has an otr and full exhaust to compliment the new engine

Quote Originally Posted by zacharyjaiden View Post
    What do u have whitelie??

Are the harrop brakes not enough?
    What what do I have?
    Tyres? I'm only running 245's, you can squeeze a 275 under there on the right rim and offset. Probably go with 19"s or smaller as you have a wider choice of high end tyres that meet the required load rating.

My GTS came with the larger AP's but the 343mm Harrops are still very good. They'll be more than enough for the street, may only want something else if you do a lot of track days but even still, they are very capable with the right pads, fluid, lines etc.

What wheels do u run i called beurepairs looking for info on wheels and they called roh who told them their range for hsv was limited due to caliper clearance which seemed like a load of crap cause so many people run after market wheels

What brand of tyre do u run?

Also what suspension? I suppose your power delivery would be more refined and linear but still helps to know what setup u have at your power level.

I've got 20"s with cheap ass tyres lol
    I want to go back to the standard 19"s at some point, if I really pushed the car I would have already but I drive like a Nanna on the street and use Mickey T's if/when I race it.

Calipers are only really an issue on VE onwards, VT-VZ not so much.

Koni yellows are the go for shocks. Springs I've used loads over the years, didn't find much difference between them but have Lovells and prefer them to King. I'll put Whiteline adjustable sway bars in one day but haven't got there yet. Bushes are a bit of a mix. Rubber in some spots, nolathane in others.

I have a bit over 450rwhp and just under 700nm from a 383 with six speed manual. It was not set up for the power and even had cheap ass tyres. My honest opinion is it's a bloody weapon to drive and out spins any boosted cars I have had and will spin them happily to over 150km/hr in third and it's a hairy ride. Takes a lot of learning to get the power down but I have had a bit of success.

I have tried a few wheel configurations ( taken wheels from my vn, a mate and even the wife's BMW) and best yet was 255 19's with p zeros on it.

Get ready for a rumble and a lot of people staring though as from half throttle the sound is insane lol

Im with White-Lie.
    My VZ HSV is putting down around 500hp at the wheels with a 1900 Maguson.
    This power from a NA small block would be a pig under 3000rpm, only good for full rip or nothing.
    But you maylike this type of driving.

Thread Information