HSV Forum

Page 4 of 5 First << ... 2345 Last >>
    The auto offered in hsv is crap

Yeh its fine but so is my camry auto i had also

For the price it should be better

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnturf View Post
    I recently went on a corporate track day at Tailem Bend called The Bend,Fantastic set up with great facilities and plenty of run off (3 times I needed it) and a wide track
    The cars that turned up and raced all had Automatic transmissions
    McLaren 720s , McLaren 650s, Aston Martin Vanquish S, 3/Aston Martin V12 Vantage,6/ Porsche 911 GT3RS,2/Ferrari 488,2/Audi R8 Plus, 6/AMG C63S and 2/VF GTS and 1 SSV ute

These are the cars that had manual trans and all of them are from a different era and considerably slower

Nissan Tarmac Rally Carr
    Mustang '65
    Nissan Skyline
    VZ V8 Supercar
    1977 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4
    2005 Ford GT 40
    Lotus Elise 111R supercharged
    Porsche 944
    You have to compare apples to apples - the Euro exotics have dual clutch type transmissions & if you think the
    GTSR or SS auto trans are the same you are way off the mark...
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    You have to compare apples to apples - the Euro exotics have dual clutch type transmissions & if you think the
    GTSR or SS auto trans are the same you are way off the mark...
    After being on track with these supercars and high priced luxury performance cars I quickly realised how heavy the GTS is
    I drove it as hard as I could ,I had the brake overheat warning showing up on the dash (didn't know it had one until then),Oil temps at 150C,IAT2 temps at 55C.I had brand new NT05 tyres which held up for 5 of the 6 sessions then it wouldn't corner as the tyres just got too hot
    The problem with all HSV cars is they are not designed from the ground up to be performance cars they are a sedan with performance parts on them.
    i went head to head with an AMGC63 Black for 15 minutes and he couldn't pull away and I couldn't pass him,until I had my 2 front tyre valves start to leak air and had to pull in
    Imo manual cars are fun to drive for 15 minutes but quickly become a chore especially if your tired after a hard day at work,all of the High end European cars are autos with manual selection.All of these cars are worth well over 200k with the Mclarens being over 1 Million $$ before it is landed here ( i asked the owner , he had 3 of them)
    HSV are relatively cheap when compared to these cars but they are passenger cars first not race cars
    Just by having a manual trans doesn't make you a race driver or an auto but for the money the autos go along way
    Manuals are slower at the drags,slower at the track and heavy on the clutch to take the power, manuals are a dying breed.
    We are in 2018 not the 1970s with Borg Warner 4 speed trans and Banjo diffs..........

Imo manual cars are fun to drive for 15 minutes but quickly become a chore especially if your tired after a hard day at work,all of the High end European cars are autos with manual selection.All of these cars are worth well over 200k with the Mclarens being over 1 Million $$ before it is landed here ( i asked the owner , he had 3 of them)
    HSV are relatively cheap when compared to these cars but they are passenger cars first not race cars
    Just by having a manual trans doesn't make you a race driver or an auto but for the money the autos go along way
    Manuals are slower at the drags,slower at the track and heavy on the clutch to take the power, manuals are a dying breed.
    We are in 2018 not the 1970s with Borg Warner 4 speed trans and Banjo diffs..........
    I DRIVE a MANUAL R8 Tourer as my daily... 50-60mins each way to work
    in Melbourne's traffic. Being in a high performance vehicle with a manual trans
    is a pep up for me at the end of the day.. yes I enjoy the drive home each day in my HSV
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

After being on track with these supercars and high priced luxury performance cars I quickly realised how heavy the GTS is
    I drove it as hard as I could ,I had the brake overheat warning showing up on the dash (didn't know it had one until then),Oil temps at 150C,IAT2 temps at 55C.I had brand new NT05 tyres which held up for 5 of the 6 sessions then it wouldn't corner as the tyres just got too hot
    The problem with all HSV cars is they are not designed from the ground up to be performance cars they are a sedan with performance parts on them.
    i went head to head with an AMGC63 Black for 15 minutes and he couldn't pull away and I couldn't pass him,until I had my 2 front tyre valves start to leak air and had to pull in
    I agree with what you say about the GTS - it was never designed to go flat stick around a track.
    It was designed as a low cost, high volume mass produced car that would be roomy, safe & reliable.
    In saying that, HSV have done a great job with the VF II range.
    I did I reckon approx 60 laps over Easter at Sydney Motorsport Park in my GTSR Manual, and it didn't
    miss a beat all day - 100% stock standard. The brakes worked fine, it didn't overheat, and lap after lap, the
    smile on my old ugly melon was getting bigger & bigger.
    ( I have a track only VE to compare it to)

I don't agree with you trying to compare an Mclaren for example, to an HSV.
    The 720 is a race car disguised as a road car.

And, again, the "high end" Euro's you're talking about are not auto trans just because they don't have a clutch pedal.
    They have an automatically operated clutch, more often 2 x clutches.
    Big difference..
    But, anyway, lets all agree to disagree, each to their own etc etc...
    I am in the 3 pedal brigade..for now
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

But hey Surfnturf , I'm envious of your track day experience in your HSV all that exotic machinery ... would have been fantastic fun so good on ya .

Shahin's I assume? They're busy jacking the price of 98 to keep their lease payments up to date Nice track they've done though.. To me manual vs auto isn't about outright pace, it's about ENGAGEMENT. Nuff said The DSG's are sensational but boring from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by ausmac91 View Post
    Shahin's I assume? They're busy jacking the price of 98 to keep their lease payments up to date Nice track they've done though.. To me manual vs auto isn't about outright pace, it's about ENGAGEMENT. Nuff said The DSG's are sensational but boring from that perspective.
    Join the "drive the DSG manually" club.

Call me old fashioned I love driving other peoples cars with DSG's, but the closer connection with the car manuals give just works. I'd probably skip on a crank handle start though. It's a old argument and pure personal preference. Happy to get smoked by a DSG, but what's he doing? Just pushing one pedal down..... I get lots of chances to f**k it up My next car will likely be a DSG, enjoying the manuals while i can

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I DRIVE a MANUAL R8 Tourer as my daily... 50-60mins each way to work
    in Melbourne's traffic. Being in a high performance vehicle with a manual trans
    is a pep up for me at the end of the day.. yes I enjoy the drive home each day in my HSV
    Respect to you doing that Smitty.
    And, I do hear what you say about the auto in the VF, and for sure, it ain't the most "intelligent" bit of gear, ...I get that,......but neither is the VF,.....it's a bit of a dinosaur these days, but it sure is easy to drive.
    Pickles.

Thread Information