HSV Forum

Page 3 of 5 First << 12345 Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by Nth57l View Post
    Didn't Porsche remove all manuals from their 911 991 range (with the exception of a limited edition 911 R) and then return them due to customer demand?
    Yes, there is still a bit of a demand there,......for the purists!
    Pickles.

You cant heel-toe an auto .... a V12 with webers , a 5 speed and 3 pedals is the ultimate for me . Now where's that tatts ticket...?
    Last edited by airag; 14-05-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    "3rd party "conversation"
    Sorry been afk for a couple days. meant 3rd party conversions. Threw to much faith behind my auto correct.
    Zorst video: https://youtu.be/R0oKu5PMQG4

#21 2001 VX R8 series II (HSV Racing Green)
    #16 2006 HSV Dealer Team ClubSport (Phanton Black)
    #771 2010 E2 GTS (wildfire)

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    no.. HSV themselves as well as motoring .com.au, caradvice .com.au
    and other motoring media reported when they first announced it,
    that it would be available with BOTH auto and manual trans

Given that the current GM auto fitted to the last HSVs is a bucket of puss
    and the Camaro is using a slightly newer version, there are plenty (me included)
    who would not even look at an auto version

Ford must be pissing itself LARFING... the Camaro in no way will be seen as a
    Muzzy competitor by the market. I wonder why HSV are even bothering
    Why don't you really tell us what you think of the auto??
    Don't hold back now........

I'm with you - Holden stick a couple of paddle shifts on the
    steering wheel & the punters think they're buying a dual clutch
    computer controlled "super" gearbox.....
    When in reality it is just an auto with an fancy "T:bar" shifter on the steering wheel.....
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

The gts gen f i drove had huge delays in pressing padel and gear change
    I thought why did they bother?

Other cars that run auto boxes can change gear pretty fast and id have no problem with them
    Now a lot of high powered cars the dct boxes arent strong enough due to compact design so they use auto boxes

When a dct shits itself unless its clutches you buy a new box
    Im sure they are $20-30k for one

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    Why don't you really tell us what you think of the auto??
    Don't hold back now........

I'm with you - Holden stick a couple of paddle shifts on the
    steering wheel & the punters think they're buying a dual clutch
    computer controlled "super" gearbox.....
    When in reality it is just an auto with an fancy "T:bar" shifter on the steering wheel.....
    GM.... anywhere have never really got the grasp of auto trans
    they made autos themselves (eg Traumatic here) or bought them (from ZF,Borg warner and others)

but despite being the first car maker to put them in their cars (back in the 30s)
    there has always been a 'disconnect' between engine, driver and right foot in GM world

The auto behind the V8 engines in VE and VF... whilst full of electronic wizardry will
    still do stupid things. Accelerate away from the lights.. and back off coz someone
    cut you off? the auto in that instance will shift UP another couple of gears
    (despite you probably slowing down, maybe even braking) Sensible?... no

Go tow a boat or horse float or race car on a trailer up the Hume... or off
    to Phillip Is. Left to its own devices (and I witnessed this on one occasion)
    the trans will constantly shift up and down... I lost count on one trip to PI and
    the shifts were noticable too (this in a brand new VF SSv wagon towing a race car)
    The owner went and bought a SSvR ute in MANUAL (after 3 months of wagon ownership!)

Some will say.. easy fix, put the box MANUALLY into a gear and it stays there. Yes it will
    but
    you could have saved $2200 for the xtra cost of the auto when you bought it and bought
    a manual !

use an auto in a shitbox for the daily commute... I would agree with that
    but the GM auto is a terrible thing to put in a performance vehicle like a HSV
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Smitty, can't agree with you on that one.
    There's plenty of guys in the HSVOC that love their autos, as do the majority of GTSR owners.
    Now for sure, I AIN'T saying it's up with Euro DSG boxes and the stuff found in Audi, Porsche, AMG etc,...BUT also, for everyday driving, relaxing, just enjoying the car, it's absolutely fine.
    Depends what one expects, I suppose, for sure, for track work & that sort of stuff, it's probably be found wanting, but for the street, Melbourne traffic, it's all good.....it can also be built & tuned to handle serious HP!
    Pickles.
    NB: Couldn't see one in your VK though!....Do you run a T10?

You're right Pickles .... for everyday driving an auto is perfect , but that's what the Calais and Stateman were great for . And yes there's no doubt , for outright straight line speed in high power HSVs etc. the auto is also quicker.

But I'm with Smitty when it comes to towing or anything that has sporting pretensions ... a manual is more flexible , is always in the right gear at the right time and is far more satisfying and rewarding when operated correctly .

Everyone in Vic. knows the drive over the Black Spur , it's fantastic in something that makes the right noise and a manual gearbox at any time , but I clearly remember towing the ski boat through there several times ... lot's of gear changes with the 304 barking on heel-toe downshifts . You just don't get that satisfaction with an auto , even if it's a flash one that blips it for you.

Watched a video of a late model HSV on the track at last years HSVfest , listening to the auto hunting gears was a turn-off for me .

I'm obviously old school but I reckon all performance cars should start manual ( good on Porsche ) and maybe offer auto as a last resort lol .
    Last edited by airag; 15-05-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: addition

I recently went on a corporate track day at Tailem Bend called The Bend,Fantastic set up with great facilities and plenty of run off (3 times I needed it) and a wide track
    The cars that turned up and raced all had Automatic transmissions
    McLaren 720s , McLaren 650s, Aston Martin Vanquish S, 3/Aston Martin V12 Vantage,6/ Porsche 911 GT3RS,2/Ferrari 488,2/Audi R8 Plus, 6/AMG C63S and 2/VF GTS and 1 SSV ute

These are the cars that had manual trans and all of them are from a different era and considerably slower

Nissan Tarmac Rally Carr
    Mustang '65
    Nissan Skyline
    VZ V8 Supercar
    1977 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4
    2005 Ford GT 40
    Lotus Elise 111R supercharged
    Porsche 944

Yep , and I'd rather be in the GT 40 .

Thread Information