HSV Forum

Page 2 of 5 First << 1234 ... Last >>
    Well to me, the VN Group A is the one to have, of all the group As.
    Like I've said, it would have to be 100% original, I couldn't care less about the value, that's just how I like my cars.
    And the VN Group A has some pretty special engine internals, including the crankshaft, and if any of those components aren't there, then the car loses its attraction to me.
    Pickles.

Forgetting for one minute the price & look at the car.
    If it was 100% stock & original, then it's "desirable" to a collector.
    As it stands, as good or bad as it is, an anal stock to the bones collector wouldn't touch it.

It is desirable as it sits to someone who loves the hotted up, "fast & furious" type look....
    Me personally I would have bought an SS to start with as a base car, and then done that..

As someone mentioned earlier, back in the day no one looked at the HDT, early HSV cars
    with collectability as the reason for purchase, they were all modified in the same vein
    as we modified our old GTS's & Torana's.
    Now people spend gazillions bringing them back to original.....

But, good luck with the sale, I'm sure someone will buy it & love it......
    I think a car like this divides us, but having a different opinion to each other
    promotes good discussion IMHO......
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    Forgetting for one minute the price & look at the car.
    If it was 100% stock & original, then it's "desirable" to a collector.
    As it stands, as good or bad as it is, an anal stock to the bones collector wouldn't touch it.

It is desirable as it sits to someone who loves the hotted up, "fast & furious" type look....
    Me personally I would have bought an SS to start with as a base car, and then done that..

for the money a 1 year old VFII GTS (or even a new GTSR) would be a far better drive
    but
    I agree, a VN SS with the Grp A engine (easy swap) and a $100k less would be fun
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Same could be said today, why modify a GTS instead of an SS?
    Answer is obvious, GTS is better.

20 to almost 30 years ago the Q&A was exactly the same. Why modify an SS when a Group A can be bought for not much more (secondhand).

I had a VN SS and wondered why I wasted my money. Sure it had power windows but it lacked all the niceties an HSV had. No double stitching on the seats, boring instrument cluster, the Phoenix Red looked cheap compared to Duriff Red, asthmatic manifold, cheap AC switches (yes some Group A cars also got that), hard vinyl door trims instead of the nicer HSV items, SS seats were terrible and then there is the entire engine/ gearbox, brakes and wheel package of the Group A. You couldnt buy that stuff and add it to a VN SS without spending more than the cost of a secondhand Group A.

The reason people like myself modified a real Group A was the strength was already in there. It was a huge attraction. 4 bolt mains alone was good, not to mention the heads etc.

When I bought my VN SS i paid $25k but within 2 years i could have bought a real VN Group A for $28k. The value dropped so much in the 90s and early 2000s. You would have been either a diehard VN SS fan to spend more modifying one of those with Group A parts OR plain crazy.
    Last edited by HSVGTS125; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:24 PM.
    Toy 1 - 1997 Tickford EL GT #068
    Toy 2 - 1998 HSV VS11 at VT Maloo #082
    Toy 3 - 2001 Tickford AU111 XR8 220kw manual
    Toy 4 - 2002 HSV VY Clubsport R8 manual #185

I didn't think a sunroof was an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    I didn't think a sunroof was an option?
    It wasnt an official option but could be optioned new.
    I only know of one car having a sunroof fitted at Notting Hill but HSV didnt do it. From memory HSV installed the sunroof inhouse from VS.

Sunroof fitting was always done outside Holden/ HSV but could still be ordered
    Toy 1 - 1997 Tickford EL GT #068
    Toy 2 - 1998 HSV VS11 at VT Maloo #082
    Toy 3 - 2001 Tickford AU111 XR8 220kw manual
    Toy 4 - 2002 HSV VY Clubsport R8 manual #185

Itís one of Boomers cars. Engine is extensively modified, garages can easily be removed as they arenít screwed in, wheels can easily be changed and Iím pretty sure he has the originals. Would be a mint car to own if you didnít care about having a stock driveline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

Quote Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV View Post
    Itís one of Boomers cars. Engine is extensively modified, garages can easily be removed as they arenít screwed in, wheels can easily be changed and Iím pretty sure he has the originals. Would be a mint car to own if you didnít care about having a stock driveline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gauges, wheels , water pump etc can easily be removed .... wheel tubs put me off a bit though.

Tuff car for the right buyer.

Where does it say it's been tubbed? Or are you basing that off the staggered wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Where does it say it's been tubbed? Or are you basing that off the staggered wheels?
    Only need to look at it.

Thread Information