HSV Forum

Additional oil cooler on vf gts

Want to circuit track my VF GTS and am concerned with oil temps and IAT2 temps
    The format is (on track) for 15 minutes every 60 minutes 6 times through the day,I am installing a reservoir with the inter chiller as well
    I pulled the bumper off and tried to work out what was best and I must say HSV engineers have done a great job in maximizing airflow into the radiators and heat exchangers at the front
    I didn't want to put it in front of what is there already as I have an Auto,so after a day or so of thinking,thinking,thinking I ended up positioning the cooler behind the drivers side front air inlet of the bumper, just below the headlight
    I removed the air diffuser behind the bumper both upper and lower so I could get max airflow
    I bent some steel brackets up and fixed one to the upper bumper headlight support,another to the front crash bar mount bolt and then a bottom brace back to a flat section of steel under the radiator,painted the brackets black and wam, bam, thank you mam.
    I will let the workshop fit the oil lines and adapter plate when they do the chiller
    I am trying to keep Oil temps under 130C

Question to the guys that would know,What is the best way to install the cooler with the inlet/outlet fittings up or down ?
    I was thinking down as when the oil is changed it can be bled by taking off one of the hoses at the adapter fitting ?
    What you think as I'm just installing the Oil cooler core for the workshop so as to save some install time
    Attached Images

For circuit racing you’re going to want to plumb the HX and chiller in series.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS & Fastest stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT’s? we’ve achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

When you say in series,I think it means that the Heat Exchanger has to be connected into the system,whereas if I am just using it for dragging the Heat Exchanger is deleted and is a stand alone system ??
    and I have done a Drag set up which I assume is how your system is hooked up
    I did a couple of drawings to verify what you are saying, if you can confirm please
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Surfnturf; 12-03-2018 at 10:52 PM.

In 99.99% of applications we delete the HX from the car this is perfectly fine for daily driving, 1/4 mile, 1 mile racing and power cruise.

If circuit racing you need both the HX and the chiller.

As example it would be
    1. Reservoir
    2. Intercooler pump
    3. Chiller
    4. Heat exchanger
    5. Supercharger

3 and 4 can be in any order.

This won’t get as cold since the HX will add heat to the system on all other uses with the car other than circuit racing.
    If confused give me a call tomorrow

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS & Fastest stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT’s? we’ve achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Thread Information