HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Additional oil cooler on vf gts

Want to circuit track my VF GTS and am concerned with oil temps and IAT2 temps
    The format is (on track) for 15 minutes every 60 minutes 6 times through the day,I am installing a reservoir with the inter chiller as well
    I pulled the bumper off and tried to work out what was best and I must say HSV engineers have done a great job in maximizing airflow into the radiators and heat exchangers at the front
    I didn't want to put it in front of what is there already as I have an Auto,so after a day or so of thinking,thinking,thinking I ended up positioning the cooler behind the drivers side front air inlet of the bumper, just below the headlight
    I removed the air diffuser behind the bumper both upper and lower so I could get max airflow
    I bent some steel brackets up and fixed one to the upper bumper headlight support,another to the front crash bar mount bolt and then a bottom brace back to a flat section of steel under the radiator,painted the brackets black and wam, bam, thank you mam.
    I will let the workshop fit the oil lines and adapter plate when they do the chiller
    I am trying to keep Oil temps under 130C

Question to the guys that would know,What is the best way to install the cooler with the inlet/outlet fittings up or down ?
    I was thinking down as when the oil is changed it can be bled by taking off one of the hoses at the adapter fitting ?
    What you think as I'm just installing the Oil cooler core for the workshop so as to save some install time
    Attached Images

For circuit racing you’re going to want to plumb the HX and chiller in series.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

When you say in series,I think it means that the Heat Exchanger has to be connected into the system,whereas if I am just using it for dragging the Heat Exchanger is deleted and is a stand alone system ??
    and I have done a Drag set up which I assume is how your system is hooked up
    I did a couple of drawings to verify what you are saying, if you can confirm please
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Surfnturf; 12-03-2018 at 10:52 PM.

In 99.99% of applications we delete the HX from the car this is perfectly fine for daily driving, 1/4 mile, 1 mile racing and power cruise.

If circuit racing you need both the HX and the chiller.

As example it would be
    1. Reservoir
    2. Intercooler pump
    3. Chiller
    4. Heat exchanger
    5. Supercharger

3 and 4 can be in any order.

This won’t get as cold since the HX will add heat to the system on all other uses with the car other than circuit racing.
    If confused give me a call tomorrow

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR

Hey mate how did the oil cooler go in the end??

Are you happy with it and the location you mounted.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ASD14 View Post
    Hey mate how did the oil cooler go in the end??

Are you happy with it and the location you mounted.

Cheers
    Oil Cooler went well, no leaks and no problems
    My oil temps hit 150C (I think) I say this because before the track day I had my tablet set up with Torque Pro app and worked beautifully,I had IAT2 and a few other gauges all working perfectly
    The tablet was too big for race day ,so I set it up on my phone at the track stuck on the windscreen
    I was a little flustered as I was late and I think I changed the settings unintentionally and this may have been a higher reading than actually what occurred.
    I cant replicate those track temps on the street so will have to wait for November now as I have another one to do...

Cool mate, can you remember what brand and model oil cooler you bought??

I want to go to tailem bend in mine this year aswell, but want a few additions prior to going (catch can, reservoir, oil cooler, coilovers etc).

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ASD14 View Post
    Cool mate, can you remember what brand and model oil cooler you bought??

I want to go to tailem bend in mine this year aswell, but want a few additions prior to going (catch can, reservoir, oil cooler, coilovers etc).

Cheers mate.
    Oil Cooler was this one
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AEROFLOW...item542af93449
    Catch can is a good idea,I will change over to the 12lt reservoir for the next track day as they are a good asset to have
    Coil overs I think will make a huge difference ,I dont know what to get either as the stock system is ok but tracking I think you need the best you can afford
    And a good set of full slicks............

Did you remove the water/oil heater on the side of the block and replace the thermostat with a 160f version.
    Oil temp of 150c sounds high, hopefully it was just a software issue on the unit you were using

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR

Genf - Are you talking about the lingenfelter 160 thermostat??

Yeah 150c oil temp is bloody hot.... id be pulling into the pits if my oil got that hot lol.

Thread Information