HSV Forum

Page 9 of 9 First << ... 789

Thread: LSA Camshafts

I'm more interested in the technicalities of valve events and how they effect engine performance than setting up the valve train. That comes after the purchase of the cam but you have to know what to purchase in the first place.
    All the things you mentioned are relative no matter if it's a hydraulic or solid valve train, I'm not sure where you were going with that.

I'd disagree that all the info I need is in this thread as no one has really touched on what I asked for. We've just gone around in a big circle.

Post #4 is where this thread should of stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by 1QIKLSA View Post
    I'd disagree that all the info I need is in this thread as no one has really touched on what I asked for. We've just gone around in a big circle.
    I don't know how you can come to that deduction.... I'm trying to impart some really good logic so you can be informed and make an intelligent decision

It doesn't matter too much in the first instance whether you have a SC or not .... in the end you've got an air pump and yes there is a charger forcing more volume per second into the chamber but the valvetrain still has to function and you need to manage cylinder pressure .... leakage ... and heat ... and as your progress up the rev range critical facets of this become an event that needs to be managed which is why I'm not going to tell you what Cam to use as your install may let the whole process down and this forum will "shitcan" my recommendations

I'm trying to make you more informed by steering you to obtain good advice on how your engine (and valvetrain) works ... and why you can quickly get things wrong with lost cylinder pressure

It's up to you to deduct from my posts on whether you take advice from whoever .... but I think you may make errors of judgement if your not self informed ...

I'm a big cam person that is self educated enough on how to dial it in to maximise the benefits accross the whole range ... or turn it into a top end monster just by getting the valve train and cam timing right ...

You may think I'm being a smart ass but I have little idea of your intentions with your car (street or strip) .... and unless I've miss read your posts I'm not sure if your cars Auto or M6 ... which would also make a difference to my thoughts

But that still doesn't change my basic principles in relation to getting the valvetrain right ...

And there opens a whole new topic .... valve spring pressures ...
    Last edited by Sniper; 18-02-2018 at 11:42 PM.

I'm more interested in the technicalities of valve events and how they effect engine performance than setting up the valve train. That comes after the purchase of the cam but you have to know what to purchase in the first place.
    All the things you mentioned are relative no matter if it's a hydraulic or solid valve train, I'm not sure where you were going with that.

I would say that what you're asking for is perhaps too technical for the average punter. They likely don't understand exactly how the valve event timings effect the efficiency of the engine or have never bothered to check up on it. It's probably even not looked at by the average mechanic...they just look at 50 thou duration, lift and LSA and say "that'll do" when there may be plenty left on the table by taking a closer look and optimising exactly what's happening and when.

PS white_lie any chance of fixing the pics, I'd like a look.
    My apologies, Photobucket has been a right pain in the ass. I'm slowly getting some of my pics back but not all. I'll fix it as they become available

Thread Information