HSV Forum

Page 3 of 9 First << 12345 ... Last >>

Thread: LSA Camshafts

I'm going to pitch in here, and please don't take offense, we're all adults having an adult conversation - just curious to know.

I totally get the r&d thing, and thatís fine and well, I respect that much time and effort is spent to get a package together. But keeping basic cam specs secret "because the customer doesn't need to know them", to me, is like keeping the engine capacity secret "because they don't need to know it". Same logic really, because like you've all said, basic specs can't be used to do much without the valve event info, and a myriad of other complicated engineering - the same applying to engine capacity. So whatcha'll so worried about!? You think the OP is gonna reverse engineer your hard work just from the basic specs? What's to stop anyone from getting a secret custom cam read? All they have to do is rip it out and send it off to <insert name of cam manufacturer here>. But I'm sure as heck not going to, because I, like 99% of ppl out there, honestly just couldnít care about it that much.

Curious customers sometimes want to know. I don't see the problem in disclosing the basic info. As a curious customer, unless I'm doing a phd on it, I couldn't care less about the valve events, but durations, lift and lobe sep, icl etc.. I like to know (as I'm sure the OP does also) for comparison reasons, or to chat about cams with their mates - similar interest stuff.. Fair enough not to post them up on forums for all to see, but would you consider disclosing basic information for a paying customer?

Happy to be corrected on anything said, educate away..

Commander_dan a customer, yourself or the OP knowing the 50thou events as you say means nothing so then there is also no point in knowing what that duration is at 50thou. If someone understood camshafts they wouldn't be asking questions or seeking info about them, they would go out and try and find what works.

Are you or anyone else willing to:
    Go and put cam 1 in the engine see what it does, make a decision based on data/feel and put cam 2 into the engine, see what that does and again based on data/feel put cam 3 into the engine and then again based on data/feel put cam 4 into the engine?....and then after you do that hard work tuning the car each time, swapping the cams each time, ensuring correct push rod length and lifter crush, swapping push rods for different base circles of cams....ALL of that time and money are you going to go and tell someone your results?

Someone in a message said I may not even know what my camshaft is....i know exactly what it is.

But lets all stop and think about this for a minute:

Really simple, this is going to come across as rude, arrogant and egotistic...name a drag racer who doesn't have an ego, edge against someone else, or an "i'm better than him" attitude? we all have it, this is racing.

Now the LS3 has been out since 2008
    The Australian LS industry has been supercharging the LS3 since 2008
    They've been stroking and bore engines for more cubes
    They've been installing larger superchargers

How many cars collectively, Australia wide, workshop cars that have tried several different combos of camshafts, customer cars that have tried different combos, how many cars Aus wide?

Now how many run and make the HP I'm making out of a stock 6.2L LSA with a 1900 blower.

Many people have said I've got a built engine, I just proved I don't.
    Many have said I have a stall converter I just proved I don't.
    Many have said I have diff gears....I was honest about the engine I'm not lying about the diff it's stock too

In addition to that these other cars and there is a lot of them over the 10yrs from 2008-2018 period have more cubes and larger blowers and they have converters, built engines, different diff ratios and different gearboxes you name it and they are not running the same ET and MPH.

Camshafts:
    So you want me to give up or help and give out camshaft information, when I've put in all this effort, I'm clearly a lot faster and making more HP with a smaller engine and smaller blower but I should help people out and tell them cam specs?

As said before anyone sharing cam specs has nothing to protect, if the LS industry had it figured out then 6 months into 2008 the LS3 would have been running 150mph with a 1900 blower.

10yrs on you cannot walk into any LS shop and say see that interhchiller GTS make mine as fast as his with a 6.2L bottom end and same 1900 blower.

Spintrons, engine dynos you name it they all have this crap and they all have this money money money that I dont have, they have done 1000's of cars that I haven't done.

So I'm sorry but we offer 2 cams a stealth one and a lumpy one, they are both great cams and are based off my camshaft. If you want my help on choosing a cam pick one of the 2 I offer in the packages.

Once my engine is built, based on what we've seen on the dyno I will be trapping over 150mph out of a 6.2L engine with the 1900 blower, decen't cars are running around 133-136mph on similar setups.

Drivability:
    Rodders mentioned camming the car out goes the drivability, it's one thing saying something drives nice but it's a different thing feeling it. These cams drive very nice, come up and feel it.
    It's also one thing to think the grass is green, until you taste the greener grass. I previously thought my grass was nice and green and I was telling other people how nice and green it was, then i found greener grass and I didn't even know it existed.

Most critical engine mod:
    The tune.
    Nicks GTS is proof of this, stock cam stock heads 10.68 @ 131mph
    Last edited by GenF-GTS; 4 Days Ago at 04:54 PM.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Kirk, I think most people relate duration to how big a cams is and how it effects driveability. You know how it was picking your 1st cam!!!
    You also know that without ramp rates, lift , lsa, head flow, spring pressures etc duration means sweet fark all when it comes to making power. It's the overall package, and if they decide not to use you it's them that are losing out
    It's pretty easy to share a little knowledge, as someone has done with you, without giving up your secrets.
    Not hard and not giving anything away by saying " I wouldnt go bigger than mid230/high240 , but you have to take into account the total package" etc .... Just my 2cents
    I know one thing tho, if I was thinking of doing a LSA I'd be hard pressed getting better than your package.

Don't get me going on tuners, unless your mates with them, it's all about the dollar. Throw a generic tune in , lean it off at 5500rpm and give u a big number and a big bill.. I had a tune done by a highly recommended tuner ,didn't think it was rite so changed tuners , picked up 48rwkw, and made the mid range feel 100% better....

Iím no cam expert but isnít it the same as getting some coilovers built for a track car (or even a street car) and the shop not telling you what spring rate theyíve put in your car???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    Commander_dan a customer, yourself or the OP knowing the 50thou events as you say means nothing so then there is also no point in knowing what that duration is at 50thou. If someone understood camshafts they wouldn't be asking questions or seeking info about them, they would go out and try and find what works.

Go and put cam 1 in the engine see what it does, make a decision based on data/feel and put cam 2 into the engine, see what that does and again based on data/feel put cam 3 into the engine and then again based on data/feel put cam 4 into the engine?....and then after you do that hard work tuning the car each time, swapping the cams each time, ensuring correct push rod length and lifter crush, swapping push rods for different base circles of cams....ALL of that time and money are you going to go and tell someone your results?

Someone in a message said I may not even know what my camshaft is....i know exactly what it is.

Really simple, this is going to come across as rude, arrogant and egotistic...name a drag racer who doesn't have an ego, edge against someone else, or an "i'm better than him" attitude? we all have it, this is racing.

How many cars collectively, Australia wide, workshop cars that have tried several different combos of camshafts, customer cars that have tried different combos, how many cars Aus wide?

Now how many run and make the HP I'm making out of a stock 6.2L LSA with a 1900 blower.

Many have said I have diff gears....I was honest about the engine I'm not lying about the diff it's stock too

In addition to that these other cars and there is a lot of them over the 10yrs from 2008-2018 period have more cubes and larger blowers and they have converters, built engines, different diff ratios and different gearboxes you name it and they are not running the same ET and MPH.

Camshafts:
    So you want me to give up or help and give out camshaft information, when I've put in all this effort, I'm clearly a lot faster and making more HP with a smaller engine and smaller blower but I should help people out and tell them cam specs?

As said before anyone sharing cam specs has nothing to protect, if the LS industry had it figured out then 6 months into 2008 the LS3 would have been running 150mph with a 1900 blower.

10yrs on you cannot walk into any LS shop and say see that interhchiller GTS make mine as fast as his with a 6.2L bottom end and same 1900 blower.

Spintrons, engine dynos you name it they all have this crap and they all have this money money money that I dont have, they have done 1000's of cars that I haven't done.

So I'm sorry but we offer 2 cams a stealth one and a lumpy one, they are both great cams and are based off my camshaft. If you want my help on choosing a cam pick one of the 2 I offer in the packages.

Once my engine is built, based on what we've seen on the dyno I will be trapping over 150mph out of a 6.2L engine with the 1900 blower, decen't cars are running around 133-136mph on similar setups.

Drivability:
    Rodders mentioned camming the car out goes the drivability, it's one thing saying something drives nice but it's a different thing feeling it. These cams drive very nice, come up and feel it.
    It's also one thing to think the grass is green, until you taste the greener grass. I previously thought my grass was nice and green and I was telling other people how nice and green it was, then i found greener grass and I didn't even know it existed.

The tune.
    You're a little light on detail here Kirk.
    GTSR Maloo Interchiller

Quote Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV View Post
    I’m no cam expert but isn’t it the same as getting some coilovers built for a track car (or even a street car) and the shop not telling you what spring rate they’ve put in your car???

No its not the same.
    The camshaft is the Mechanical brain of the engine.
    It’s the equivalent to asking your tuner explain every aspect of my tune to the point where I won’t need you to tune the car for me ever again.

Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

I'm not touching the rest of your post, the first sentence says it all to me. Race competitively and you'll find plenty that don't have a chip on their shoulder.

Camshafts:

Drivability:

The tune.
    Wow! Someone's a little touchy? I never said anything about being out to get you or your amazing quarter time in your "stock" gts. I'm not here to argue about any of that, I have nor ever will have any intention to "beat" you or your times, or anyone elses. They mean diddly squat to me; good on you but I think you've smoked one too many if you think randoms on a shared interest forum from the other side of the country are out to get you. So don't act like I am, your whole post is all on the defensive, and you pretty much ignored everything I said and went off on a rant.

You've proven one thing, you're not here to help, you're here to make money and live life one quarter of a mile at a time, so good luck with that. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV View Post
    I’m no cam expert but isn’t it the same as getting some coilovers built for a track car (or even a street car) and the shop not telling you what spring rate they’ve put in your car???

Absolutely it is the same, which is why I had simplified it even further to engine capacity.

What restaurant sells you a dish called "custom mystery dish" on the menu and refuses to disclose the ingredients? It's madness and I've quickly come to realise, pointless, so I'm bowing out on this argument. Sorry OP, I tried.

You can think whatever you like.
    I’ve helped many many people via this forum.

I’m not going to share any specs of any cams I use, no matter how you ask the question or help us give us some sort of guide the answer is no.

If you want Cam specs or help with picking a Cam email comp cams, Brian Tooley, Cam motion, Camtech, crane cams.

Thread Information