HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Thread: Oil

Oil

Hey Kirk, just after your opinion on what type, mineral/synthetic for first oil change in LSA and at what k's would you do the first change. Do you know what they use from factory, I know hsv recommends Mobil but I bet Holden doesn't fill them with that from new. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsmow View Post
    Hey Kirk, just after your opinion on what type, mineral/synthetic for first oil change in LSA and at what k's would you do the first change. Do you know what they use from factory, I know hsv recommends Mobil but I bet Holden doesn't fill them with that from new. Cheers.
    I always used mobile 1 as per sticker on tensioner in engine bay, did +60,000kms in my Gts over 100 drag passes, oils changed every 9-10k, didn’t use a drop in between changes.
    GenF2 30yr Senator (stock cam/heads 10.63@131.99)
    Previous GenF my15 Gts (was fastest stock cam/heads 10.68 @ 130.3)
    Previous VXR8 (vxr
    Previous GTS-r (uk)

What k's did you drop oil the first time Nick.

I drove the car home from the dealership and dropped the oil and filter. Again at 2000kms and then went to 7500 changes. Mobil 1 every time for me but I know everyone has the opinion of oils and what you should do. All I would suggest is use a good quality oil and change it regularly. Better this than great oil that’s not changed as often.
    MY12.5 Clubsport Manual in Alto Grey, MY16 SV6 auto in Phantom, MY11 SV6 auto in Voodoo, 1964 EH Manual wagon in Cream.

Many Holden dealers use Fuchs oil, you have to pay extra for Mobil 1.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on oil, and their mechanic can also have another opinion.

I use Penrite 10 tenths 10w40 (we live in Australia unless you live in a cold place you donít need 5w)
    In terms of changing it you cannot change your oil too often, I change mine before I race and before/after dyno tuning....excessive in some peopleís eyes but it lasts.

Regular road use 10,000km should be fine.
    I also run 8L instead of 7.6L or whatever the factory claim.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS & Fastest stock bottom end
    9.700 @148.3mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

1500kms
    GenF2 30yr Senator (stock cam/heads 10.63@131.99)
    Previous GenF my15 Gts (was fastest stock cam/heads 10.68 @ 130.3)
    Previous VXR8 (vxr
    Previous GTS-r (uk)

That's the other thing it's always a good idea to use a good quality filter, many opinions on this also.

Basically what I do is I buy the K&N oil filter, it's easy to remember 1017 is the part number I remember it as it's like the radio station 101.7.
    I buy about 10-15 of them at a time from summit racing as this is much cheaper than buying it here in Australia, I also stock up on plugs etc, usually I'll buy excessive amounts whenever I need something else just to fill the order up as I will eventually use them.

This has the wrench on/off version for tightening which is good.

I also run a filter mag on my oil filter and also on my transmission.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS & Fastest stock bottom end
    9.700 @148.3mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Thanks for the replies, yeah I know oil is a taboo subject but wanted to here your respected opinion. I believe Fuchs make the AC Delco oil, heard that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsmow View Post
    Thanks for the replies, yeah I know oil is a taboo subject but wanted to here your respected opinion. I believe Fuchs make the AC Delco oil, heard that somewhere.
    Well it's not really a "taboo subject", it's just that many have a differing opinion & some don't like it when their opinion is different from others,...all very good in this discussion though.
    Us?..We just rely upon what the dealer puts in, wouldn't have a clue what goes in Wifey's RS3, and I presume Baycity will put Mobil 1 in the GTSR.
    Pickles.

I think its 120 extra for mobile 1, a local performance shop will do a filter and mobile 1 for that. I think just M1 and filter is about $280 at holden ask before you laugh at that, when a full gts fixed price service was 220.
    Problem is at least u can get warranty work done and in part can hold hsv to account smaller shops its all one chap get rim damage and no u must have done it and not noticed type replies.

Thread Information