HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Harmonic balancer

Something I am not familiar with.
    What are the symptoms of a faulty harmonic balancer? Can it be visually inspected?

With the GTS idling and transmission in neutral, the vibration inside the vehicle felt coming up through the chair just seems a little rough now compared to say a year or so ago, but its not missing or anything that obvious and idles fine.

At first it felt as if an exhaust pipe was resting against the body somewhere but while on the hoist recently, we had a close look and the exhaust supports etc all seemed fine. Well with the exception of one of the rear mufflers which was not bolted up all the way. Both rear mufflers were removed recently to drop the tank and change the fuel pump, and they forgot to finish the job properly !

I know its not my imagination ??

Cheers

If it is the harmonic balancer or you think it might be get it sorted sooner rather than later as they can do damage when they fail (i'm told). Use the old mechanic trick of putting a long screw driver on it and listen to it to see if you can hear a noise. other than that i'd say take it to a trusted mechanic and see what they say.

Had one go in a work car recently. Could hear the noise and upon inspection could see that there was a bit of a wobble in it.

Whilst it does actually play a part in ballancing as does the fly wheel on a new engine the HB is drilled to ballance it. The only fault you can have less it coming loose is it comes out of alignment or the rubber mount fails/ ? goes hard. It all should be replaced with more than 2.5-3 mm wobble. just idle the engine and use a good torch. it is a warranty job and can throw the belts much faster if left. Is your vibration the same in neutral? does the EMS just need a carbon clean the thing that links the engine to the computer, or plugs something like that?
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 08-02-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks to all for your advice.

I will check first using a torch and see how we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter7 View Post
    Thanks to all for your advice.

I will check first using a torch and see how we go.
    My Harmonic Balancer had a crazy Wobble. You could see the wobble without a light. I can feel vibrations through the seat also that I thought was the Balancer so I replaced it with a Powerbond.

Sadly the vibration is still there. I hear the engine mounts usually fail or are not the best when near 100k on the VE's, and my cars sitting at 140x so that might be the next step for me.
    Last edited by xplaya; 12-02-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Well my 2011 GTS recently got to 100K. Perhaps that is the problem. I'll wait to hear how you go first.

Cheers

On the 6.0 they were a problem in part due to only have two ( engine mounts) the second set are on the gearbox.
    Yes it was a warranty job and the failure was obvious on a quick inspection.

Mounts would be my first point of call. Very common for them to break, especially if you're putting a decent amount of power thru them but even on standard engines they do go quite common. Replace both if you're doing them. A lot of places will just change the broken one but you'll end up with problems not far down the road

Only time I've had a balancer go, it made a hell of a rattle. That said it may have slipped

For a small extra cost it also good idea to change the tranny mount.
    Especially if an engine mount has been broken for a long time putting more strain on the other engine mount and tranny mount.

Thread Information