HSV Forum

Page 2 of 2 First << 12
    Well I think the harmonic balancer is OK. I put a small crow bar between the engine and pushed on the edge of the harmonic balancer. Absolutely no movement whatsoever. I then started the engine and there was no visual wobble either.

As some already have indicated, its the engine mounts next to be checked.

Cheers

Update:

Both engine mounts perished. Passenger side mount separating under load. That explains the roughness felt inside the car even at idle, and in neutral.

100,000km now on the clock. No oil or contaminants on the mounts to cause premature failure.

Oh did I mention that most of the time I drive the GTS quite gently. Hate to think when the mounts would have let go if it was driven like it should be!

I mean why would HSV not fit parts on a $86K to last longer? Its like the the $35 breather pipe (PCV) which goes brittle causing cryptic Lean Mixture Bank engine error codes. I mean why not make this from other similar material that does not perish. How long have they been making chevy engines for??

Because my car being an auto, the problem manifested itself strangely (gears dropping down with a thud) when slowing down to a stop. I only found it by visually looking for the problem. On manual cars, you probably dont even know the pipe has perished.

Good old HSV, now to fix the MRC suspension which progressively has got noisier and a rougher ride since about the 70Km mark.

Perhaps if I find the MRC part numbers I can get these things from the USA. Apparently a set of front MRC struts costs around $1600 US, which even after the $$ conversion is less than half the cost from HSV. If we only could tell the future.........

Cheers
    Last edited by Helicopter7; 06-03-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Why don't they fit parts that last longer? Sinply because a stronger mount will increase NVH and that's the last thing they want.

Good to hear you got it sorted though. What was the trans mount like?

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Why don't they fit parts that last longer? Sinply because a stronger mount will increase NVH and that's the last thing they want.

Good to hear you got it sorted though. What was the trans mount like?
    According to the mechanic, it looked OK. Mind you thats the same mechanic that removed the propeller shaft to drop the fuel tank in order to change the fuel pump and forgot to do up the propeller shaft nuts, and also left the passenger side rear muffler hanging on two threads.

Oh the fun of owning cars, you think I would have learnt to accept it all after over 40 years behind the wheel

Thread Information