HSV Forum

Stock Bottom End LSA Record

People have questioned our claim to running the stock bottom end and factory heads, here is the proof.

Over Christmas we picked up another 80rwhp and decided it was too dangerous to continue racing on the stock bottom end at that power level, if it breaks at track with that much power we could end up with oil under the tires.

So we are pulling it out this week throwing a set of rods and pistons into it, same compression ratio and same bore/stroke.

Estimated engine HP based off weight and MPH before was 1115HP at the engine

Now around 1200HP

Car was 1988kg (4382lbs) and trapped 148.3mph

No trick and Pony Show, a stock VF GTS with fuel and driver weighs 2015kg (4442lbs) it traps 118-119mph
    That works out to be 569-584hp at the engine, factory claim is 586hp so it's dead on.

http://www.torinocobra.com/horsepower.htm

The record for the stock bottom end VF GTS is currently 9.700 @ 145mph
    The car has been a best of 148.3mph without hooking
    And the car has done a best of 6.193 @ 114.44mph 1/8th mile

(This pass is my biggest regret I was at a private test day and told not to go all out until the end of the day, I cut a 1.40 60ft the 1st time the car ever hooked for me every other run has had wheel spin, the 9.700 pass had a 6.259 @ 113.98mph for the 1/8th mile).

When you work this out had I stayed in that pass i would have run a 9.63ET

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS & Fastest stock bottom end
    9.700 @148.3mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT’s? we’ve achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

...and I thought you were crazy beforehand mate !!!!!!

Is 1200HP enough ???
    GTSR Maloo Interchiller

Quote Originally Posted by markost View Post
    ...and I thought you were crazy beforehand mate !!!!!!

Is 1200HP enough ???
    Yeah we'll see how it all goes once it's back together.

2017 HSV GTSR

Looking for colder IAT’s? we’ve achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    Over Christmas we picked up another 80rwhp
    Picking up ~10% more power is nothing to sneeze about! What changes were made to achieve that?
    I assume it went 152MPH since you advocate that the track is the only true measure

Quote Originally Posted by 1QIKLSA View Post
    Picking up ~10% more power is nothing to sneeze about! What changes were made to achieve that?
    I assume it went 152MPH since you advocate that the track is the only true measure
    After doing several different cams for the stage packages we based a new cam design from those camshafts.
    Then I also finished the snout on the LSA charger to be a larger version and let more air into the charger.

We pulled the pin on the dyno as we were not expecting such a large increase in HP, it's cheaper to build your engine when it's not broken.

Also didn't want to race at the track and possibly break at the track and end up with oil under the tires into a wall or onto the roof.

I feel with the current power the car should go over 150mph.

2017 HSV GTSR

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    After doing several different cams for the stage packages we based a new cam design from those camshafts.
    Then I also finished the snout on the LSA charger to be a larger version and let more air into the charger.

We pulled the pin on the dyno as we were not expecting such a large increase in HP, it's cheaper to build your engine when it's not broken.

Also didn't want to race at the track and possibly break at the track and end up with oil under the tires into a wall or onto the roof.

I feel with the current power the car should go over 150mph.
    So a new cam and ported snout? Didn't it already have a ported snout? Is this new cam going to replace the one in your package?

I agree with building the engine to suit, hence my other thread asking how strong they truely are. By your estimate, around 1100 crank hp is the limit. What do you think is the weak link in the bottom end, pistons/rods/bolts/everything?

It's strange that you pulled the pin on the dyno though, I would have thought that's the safest place to run things. I wonder how long it would have held together, maybe it would have been fine, I mean I didn't really expect a standard bottom end to hold up as well as it has. Don't know until it lets go but it's a gamble of where it lets go. Like you say, chances are it will be on the track when you're pushing it and that could get ugly real quick.
    Do you have before/after graphs, I'd be interested in a look. Did it just pick up peak power or was there a torque gain as well? May be hard to say how much was from the cam and how much came from the blower modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by 1QIKLSA View Post
    So a new cam and ported snout? Didn't it already have a ported snout? Is this new cam going to replace the one in your package?

I agree with building the engine to suit, hence my other thread asking how strong they truely are. By your estimate, around 1100 crank hp is the limit. What do you think is the weak link in the bottom end, pistons/rods/bolts/everything?

It's strange that you pulled the pin on the dyno though, I would have thought that's the safest place to run things. I wonder how long it would have held together, maybe it would have been fine, I mean I didn't really expect a standard bottom end to hold up as well as it has. Don't know until it lets go but it's a gamble of where it lets go. Like you say, chances are it will be on the track when you're pushing it and that could get ugly real quick.
    Do you have before/after graphs, I'd be interested in a look. Did it just pick up peak power or was there a torque gain as well? May be hard to say how much was from the cam and how much came from the blower modifications.
    I've modified the blower to accept a LPE snout, it is much larger than the ported LSA i was using.
    I started a thread last June about this but got the time over the holidays to get on to it.
    see here:
    http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthrea...Blower-Project

The camshaft I'm using is more race spec than road, it requires valve spring maintenance/replacement.
    I think 1100HP at the crank will likely last a very long time.

I wasn't expecting to gain what I did, the HP level is too much for the stock bottom end.
    There is zero point in chasing the power on the dyno if you have no intention of racing it, we did 1 pull made the big number looked over the logs and said we are uncomfortable with this power level. That was the first power run after getting the tune dialed in. So we didn't chase ignition timing etc, there could very well be more or that could be it.

2017 HSV GTSR

Thread Information