HSV Forum

Page 2 of 2 First << 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kompiler View Post
    Hey guys,

So, I'm over trying to find a car that meets my specs locally and have started to look interstate. It just so happens there is one that ticks all the boxes on the other side of the country but in my line of work, I can't find the time to fly over and see it in the metal so to speak.

The car in question is still under new car warranty and is located at a "reputable" dealership...

I would of course have the relevant checks performed (redbook inspection, encumbered vehicle check etc) and have it transported back.

Anyhow, I'm really struggling to come to grips with buying a car sight unseen. Anyone been in a similar situation or have any opinions on this sort of thing? Am I crazy for even thinking of doing this?

I'm after a very clean example and not sure to what level the inspection report (or dealer comments) would cover that?

Is this even the kind of thing where a fellow forum member in the home state could duck over at lunch time and take a look (perhaps with some relevant photos)? Transfer of beer money would be involved of course

I'm certainly no mechanic so I would only be looking at superficial stuff anyhow.

Help...

Cheers
    Komp
    Iíve done it, highly do NOT recommend it..... no matter how good the pictures are nothing beats in the flesh...., they say pics donít lie.... pigs arse

What is the car & where is it?
    Pickles.

Do not!!!

Always fly over and question the crap out of them

Tell them you dont want your time wasted and ask them to put up a room for you if its not as described

We sold our GTO sight unseen to an interstate buyer,....described the car & history to him, sent him a squillion pics, sent the car up on a truck,.....when He received it, he was over the moon,......he said it was actually better than he expected,.......but it was, REALLY, an outstanding car,.....it'd be worth at least $20k more now than what we sold it for,......nothing unusual about that,...all varieties of CV8s,..... Monaros, GTOs, Coupe 4s, are all starting to take off, and out performing their 4 door equivalents. If ya want one, there'll never be a better, & cheaper, time to buy.
    Pickles.

You are probably the only person id buy a car off unseen pickles!

Although id be checking for locknut keys hehe

I bought a vy ss with 68000km for $18k from Melbourne in 2008 and drove it back to Perth. Got the dude to send me plenty of photos, and had RAC do a full inspection on the vehicle on my behalf. Even after the inspections and assurances that all was good, the second morning we started driving (halfway across the country by then) the ls1 started the dreaded lifter tick. That was the only issue I had with the car, and it was fine up until i replaced the lifters at the 120k mark. It's buyer beware for sure.. if I was going to do that again I'd be flying over to inspect and drive it myself. Buying from a dealer with warranty you'll probably be fine but I'd be ensuring that warranty could be used in your state.

A few years back we sold a Kia Rio sight unseen. Different type car but we had spelt out the service history and the class defect that had been repaired. A standard vehicle is easier to sell 'sight unseen' but a modified one - no way would I consider purchasing one.

When one purchases from a car dealer, not sight unseen but close. I would not know what or where to look. For an advertised vehicle, one has virtually 'bought' before going for a look.

The lower the cost or the less that matters, such as project starter, then sight unseen OK. Air flights are cheap compared to what you can see straight away. If it's a special car the long slow game player wins.

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    You are probably the only person id buy a car off unseen pickles!

Although id be checking for locknut keys hehe
    Lol!!
    Just before we bought the GTSR, there was a Coupe 4 advertised on Carsales, spoke to the elderly owner,...He wanted me to fly up (Gold Coast) to look at it, but at the time, we hadn't sold the Defender, so there was no point. The Coupe 4 was red 1 owner, I think 36ks from memory, & at $65K it was a good deal. Anyway it was sold a couple of days after to a "collector" I think, because it wasn't going to be registered according to the original owner with whom I had a several conversations with. He said He really wanted me to buy it, even offered to hold on to it until I sold the Defender! There are still some nice people out there.
    Pickles.

Thread Information