HSV Forum

Ls2 and ls3 BLOCK in place of ls1 help

Hey guys ive done some research and have gotten a partial answer to my question but want some more explaination. Im currently building a new motor for my senator (more power and some learning experience) im almost ready to build the bottom end when i seen how cheap ls2 brand new bare blocks are theyre about $2200 when all the machine work on an ls1 block will cost almost a grand for an extra 1200 i could get a brand new block never been used and to factoty tollerances.

What will i need to change if anything to get this running in my vy signature. Ive read the crank sprocket/wheel has more or less teeth on it than an ls1 but if i start with a bare block and put my own stuff in it i can just choose the correct parts from the get go.

Will a ls1 4l60e trans merry up without modification? Will the ls1 ecu and loom merry up? Is there anything else i need to know?

Everything will mate up to the block fine. As you say, if you're putting your own crank with reluctor wheel you won't need a converter box or anything like that.
    Cam sensors are in different places, possibly the knock sensor as well? Can't remember... so you may need to make small changes to get it working but nothing major.

You may need a machine shop to still run over the new block.
    What were you doing to the LS1 block to run up a grands worth of work?

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    You may need a machine shop to still run over the new block.
    What were you doing to the LS1 block to run up a grands worth of work?
    Getting it cleaned, slight overbore for new pistons, balance rotating assembly deck the block new bearings gap rings etc.(price is just labour no parts) Just looking for the best option for longevity. I dont wanna slap any old engine together and hope it runs for 10+ years i wanna know its fresh and will keep on ticking. I know a 366ci (6l) or 383 (6.3) stroker will net me decent power and should hold up well but for a similar cost an untouched 6l block for a few grand with stock crank and pistons should make same power but still have room for a rebuild in years to come.

I just dont want to frankenstien the car if bits need to be chopped here and converted there.

If its as simple as the crank and a few sensors that sounds pretty sweet.

How would you go about the sensors being changed?

Its just now that my funds are getting closer to the point where i can say "ok go" i want to make a decent decision

My stock ecu and harness will still work then?
    Last edited by zacharyjaiden; 28-01-2018 at 11:37 PM.

I'm pretty sure you can use the same cam sensor, it's just in a different spot on the LS2 so might need the wiring modified slightly to reach.

ECU will still work as it will effectively be an LS1 rotating assembly

Thread Information