HSV Forum

Page 3 of 3 First << 123
    My e1 senator was 35.8 kg heavier at front with 6.0l LS2
    If you have coilovers you can get it very close to even by upping front spring rate or decrease rear spring weight .
    For a Ve you just check up curb weight divide by 100 multiply by 2 and that'll be very close. Those weights are no driver..
    to get exact you'd need different weight springs each corner , then use weight jacks to fine tune.
    I'd rather understeer a little so pretty happy just adjusting rebound.
    I did entertain the idea of removing fuel tank and installing one in spare wheel well. May still do it but will hv to do a few track days before deciding

Quote Originally Posted by skaifeman View Post
    Thought a revival of the topic might be a good idea with my constant pondering.
    Has anyone ever had corner weights on their car...?

Recently put a catch can on mine, fabricated our own bracket so it can bolt onto the firewall, being as far back as it can and as low as it can - trying to find centre of gravity.
    Probably a bit far and beyond for as minimal weight as a catch can, but I have time and enjoy the process. The thing looks as from factory and it's a damn clean and almost unseeable addition. Just how I like it.

Point is... has anyone corner weighted their car, so for future mods we can place certain heavier bits in certain areas to suit, just like adding weight bias in an F1 car... you choose where suits best.
    Every time my car goes back on the aligner it is corner weighted.
    The chassis guy adds my weight to the drivers seat & then adjusts the coilovers to where it needs to be.
    I'm no chassis expert but my take on corner weighting is adjusting the coilovers to get
    exact/desired ride height??

My biggest gains are by knowing how to "adjust" the shocks to effect a handling characteristic.
    For example - I fitted new coilovers to mine & at an event it felt really nose heavy & "loose" in the front.
    I rang the shock manufacturer & he told me to stiffen the back 3 clicks on the shock,
    and 1 x hole stiffer in rear sway bar. I said fronts the problem ??? He said you want my help or not??
    Anyway, did what he said & knock me over with an feather, the front was exactly where I wanted...

Since then I've researched, read, googled etc to give my brain the knowledge to know
    if the cars not right, what I have to do to get it right.

Also, an accurate tyre pressure gauge & pyrometer are a must in your toolbox if your serious.
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Hi Theo, do you run the same springs at all events? If you are you should be swapping gthem out at each different circuit.
    Wet tracks and slow speed tracks softer springs then as speed increases a stiffer spring.
    Your example of oversteer and clicking in the rear can factor many ways. If it was slower track or wet you'd click out the front but more important is spring rates to weight car for wet, dry, fast , slow , then fine tune with shocks.
    My experience is with speedway , dirt track but wet,dry,slow,fast spring rates are amplified . An example would be the track in Hamilton , vic. Clay track fast 1st heat wet very slippery 300lb lf 325lb rf 180lb or 200lb rr 2nd heat track dries a little click in right side shocks with rf a few more
    3rd heat track has dried a lot 400lb lf 475lb rf 300lb of 350lb rr
    Final track is black 650lb lf 720lb r 600lr 675ff ..
    We didn't run sway bars also , on road courses you wouldn't need such drastic changes but you do need correct spring rates 1st, shock valving to suit 2nd the fine tune preload n damping 3rd
    Last edited by mickyinc; 30-01-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyinc View Post
    Hi Theo, do you run the same springs at all events? If you are you should be swapping gthem out at each different circuit.
    Wet tracks and slow speed tracks softer springs then as speed increases a stiffer spring.
    Your example of oversteer and clicking in the rear can factor many ways. If it was slower track or wet you'd click out the front but more important is spring rates to weight car for wet, dry, fast , slow , then fine tune with shocks.
    My experience is with speedway , dirt track but wet,dry,slow,fast spring rates are amplified . An example would be the track in Hamilton , vic. Clay track fast 1st heat wet very slippery 300lb lf 325lb rf 180lb or 200lb rr 2nd heat track dries a little click in right side shocks with rf a few more
    3rd heat track has dried a lot 400lb lf 475lb rf 300lb of 350lb rr
    Final track is black 650lb lf 720lb r 600lr 675ff ..
    We didn't run sway bars also , on road courses you wouldn't need such drastic changes but you do need correct spring rates 1st, shock calving to suit 2nd the fine tune preload n damping 3rd
    As you know Mick my car is set up for hill climbs so I keep that set up for tracks like Bathurst & Eastern Creek.
    If I want to "stiffen" the suspension I do it by adjusting the coilovers.
    I will change "toe in - out" depending on the speed of the circuit.
    Changing springs would be way too time consuming for what I do.
    I suppose speedway is entirely different to circuit/hill climb.
    On tar you will see a small change in track temp & it's either wet or dry.
    Speedway like you mentioned will have many track changes over the course of the event..
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Does anyone have a document of sorts that states the weight of a GTSR? If i can get a copy it will save me using a weigh bridge. I thought it was in the manual, not so! Talks about it in the index thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_02 View Post
    Does anyone have a document of sorts that states the weight of a GTSR? If i can get a copy it will save me using a weigh bridge. I thought it was in the manual, not so! Talks about it in the index thats all.
    I believe the "advertised" weight is 1858kg but if you go to the Plex just take it over the scales between runs. Will give you an idea of complete weight with you in it that way..

On my NSW rego papers tare weight is 1841 kg. (mine is manual, no sunroof)
    2018 FORD FOCUS RS LE

Cheers they did not even ask for it @#$#@@the website is so wrong and i called them twice
    Then i had to do stat Dec to keep my QLD plates. cheers

Thread Information