HSV Forum

Vy caster adjustment

So Ive gone out and bought all my bushes to put the final cherry on the handling cake of my VY senator.

My question is what is an ideal caster setting ive read some places on this forum passenger caster is different to conpensate for road angle? Some people run max caster and love it some say more caster can wear out tyres some say they dont notice any extra wear?

I would lean more towards more positive caster as its my understanding more caster = heavier steering and better control at high speeds similar to how high end bicycles with lots of positive caster allows them to take their hands off the handle bars and the bike will straighten up and keep going straight.

What are peoples experiences with caster adjustment nowadays and are both sides different?

Note: for observational people rear X-member and sway bar D bushes were out of stock when i purchased this but i will be doing them (sway bars are getting swapped out for bigger ones and bushes to suit)
    Last edited by zacharyjaiden; 26-12-2017 at 11:11 PM.

What are you intending on using the car for? If it's mostly street use, I wouldn't go much from the OE settings. Keep about 1/2 deg split.

On another note, you might find it pretty harsh with Nolathane everywhere. Some places you probably want to keep rubber

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    On another note, you might find it pretty harsh with Nolathane everywhere.
    Ok front end went together nicely, i lapped the block to settle everything then went back over everything again with a torque wrench while in resting position. The car didnt pull or anything weird and handles great (alignment will get done friday regardless) and 60% of the rear is out i need to drop the 2 big circle subframe mounts to get the camberkit and that in can you reuse the bolts that come out of the subframe circle bushes, because ive read theyre done up really bloody tight... theyre not torque to yeild like head bolts are they?

Im getting a wheel alignment friday do i also need to get the subframe aligned or will it button up straight provided im attentive to what im doing?
    Last edited by zacharyjaiden; 27-12-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Went and fitted new trans mounts while i was at it cause they were only like 40 bux, has new steering arms/ tie rod ends and boots. Was meant to put in my pedders struts when all this went in but i left them down the south east will have to go in when sway bar goes in now

But all the bushes for the strut are fitted anyway for now so it all goes together nicely
    Last edited by zacharyjaiden; 27-12-2017 at 11:00 PM.

http://www.nolathane.com.au/install_guides/Z5064.pdf
    this may help if you have all the shims to put in

Thread Information