HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

ve clubby e1 engine swap out

Hi

New to the forum and also a proud new owner of a immaculate white manual e1 clubby

Ive purchased the car with a blown engine and now im on the hunt for a new engine so ive been trying to do my homework on what options i have

I was originally going to buy a crate lsa engine and fit it but i think its the conversion is harder than first expected and i really dont want the budget to blow out

Atm i have a ls2 engine in it and its thrown a rod out of the block. I was contemplating stripping the engine and pulling out the cam valvesprings and pushrods to potentially use in another motor

I also had a idea of buying a ls3 engine but cant find any info on if the wiring harness and exu in my car is the same as a ls3?? And could u use the hardware thats in my existing engine in a ls3 if there was no damage done to the parts.

I still havent ruled out a lsa swap but again there isnt much info regarding the complexity of it.

If anybody could shed some light on my queries it would much appreciated and would help me on my decisions

Thanks in advance
    Denis

What work was done to the LS2 to want to pull the valve train out? If it's spat a rod, you'd want to give it a good looking over before you decide to use any parts from it.

Being a VE, the LS3 swap would be relatively easy. Potentially around 10k with a crate motor, drive in/out. Cheaper if you find a used low km one from a wrecker. Can easily slot a cam in it in the process.

As you say, the LSA is the best option but you're probably looking at well over 20k to get a crate motor in and running so depens what the budget is.

Thank you for the reply mate.

Ive been leaning more towards a ls3 due to budget and ease of fitment.

I will be doing all the mechanical work to it ie engine out/in and possibly a cam swap. Im not too bad with the hands.

The ls2 has a stage 2 package from tekno so i consisted of valve springs, cam, pushrods, balancer ect.

Will these parts if in good condition work in a ls3 engine??

Also my main concrrn is if the ls2 wiring harness will plug into the ls3 engine and also the ecu if its compatible. And if the cam works

From what ive researched. My ls2 already uses the right tooth reluctor wheel on the crank and also the cam sensor is in the correct pos
    ition

I'm pretty sure most of it is all the same apart from the MAF and MAP sensors. Should be able to use your MAF if you're still running one?
    Same ECU, just get it tuned to suit whatever combo you end up with.

The cam, springs etc will all slot straight in

keep your LS2 throttle body and just use your ecu will be fine thats pretty much all that changed, any other slight differences can be corrected when its tuned anyway

I think now i will be looking for a ls3 to drop in

Thanks boys for the details

Just curious, what would make the engine throw a rod? Now and then I love to rip up my rear's and thought my box/diff would go before the engine, would that be more a natural wear down over time/km's problem then just boom, no proper servicing or more MODS gone/installed wrong scenario?
    Last edited by xplaya; 1 Week Ago at 09:34 AM.

Mate to be honest i have no clue. Ive just purchased it . All i know is that it had a cam package done to it and ir was blown up on the track at approx 30.000 kms after install. Was making 430rwhp.

Are all ls3 engines the same or should i get a hsv ve specific one?

Circuit or strip when you say track? Could be anything but potentially oil or fuel surge or pushing too hard for too long if it was circuit.

I'm not sure if there's any differences between the VE and VF versions. Holmart are usually reasonably priced if you want new

https://www.holmart.com.au/genuine-h...-crate-en~5722

Old owner told me it let go at powercruise. Im not too familiar with ls engines but engine physics would point to a spun bearing before throwing a rod if oil starvation was the culprit. Who knows, when i pull yhe engine i will get a better idea of what happened

Thread Information