HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Going to Drags First Time Friday Night

Finally going to enter my car in the Fast Friday Drags at Adelaide International
    Black VF GTS with approx 430rkw,I am wondering what the best set up is with regards to the traction control,what driving Mode it should be in as its an Auto
    Have never done this before so should get the heart pumping............
    Should I drop the tyre pressures etc,or is it a waste of time on street tyres
    I want to do this first and see if I like it,then if I do I will get an Inter chiller,sticky tyres and maybe a cam as this is a Sunday driver(has only 27k on the clock.
    Any helpful ideas are welcome ......................

This is from memory when racing on street tires this worked best.
    Lower tire pressure to 24psi
    Do a small burnout with traction controlled turned off (hold center dial button down for 5sec for this to turn off)
    After burnout revert back to touring mode (possibly sports mode cannot recall exactly)
    Leave the line with the car stalled up to about 1100rpm

(This only applies to street tires)

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Very interested to see how you go, my car has 426rwkw and if I was in the country id be there in a heart beat.

I have done it before but that was in an XY with top loader.

Easy on the launch, at roughly the same power level I was running around 22psi on street tyres and they would still spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses guys,So even lowering the tyre pressures it will still spin off the line ??
    I was thinking that the rubber already down on the track will help reduce this ???
    I think in touring mode it starts in 2nd gear,but sports mode it starts in 1st

Mate id get some ET Streets in 275/40R20 and run them on your standard rims (will be very stealthy). 430rwkw is enough to fry street tyres with ease.

If im free il head down and have a look, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnturf View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys,So even lowering the tyre pressures it will still spin off the line ??
    I was thinking that the rubber already down on the track will help reduce this ???
    I think in touring mode it starts in 2nd gear,but sports mode it starts in 1st
    you put it in sports mode where you throw the gear lever over to the side this puts it in 1st.

Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Finally going to enter my car in the Fast Friday Drags at Adelaide International
    Black VF GTS with approx 430rkw,I am wondering what the best set up is with regards to the traction control,what driving Mode it should be in as its an Auto
    Have never done this before so should get the heart pumping............
    Should I drop the tyre pressures etc,or is it a waste of time on street tyres
    I want to do this first and see if I like it,then if I do I will get an Inter chiller,sticky tyres and maybe a cam as this is a Sunday driver(has only 27k on the clock.
    Any helpful ideas are welcome ......................
    I always found small burnout with traction off, locked in 2nd gear (lever left and select M2)
    After burnout flick gear lever back to normal and re-engage traction.
    I always got best result in tour mode with gear lever in sport.
    Staged with foot brake on and accelerator load rpms to say 1100rpm , on green mash throttle/release brake..

I would get 1.8’s 60ft on streets doing that (FYI I was 29/30 pressures)

You can try traction off but I could never get the lead foot to balance part throttle!!!

FYI burnout doesn’t mean a smoke show!!! A quick scrub more than enough (if when role out you hear rubber sticking noise you good) too many people reckon big smoke is right and frankly you overheat tyres..

Can’t go wrong with auto!!
    Few runs under belt then play with traction etc.
    I found once got drag radials I could do full throttle launches as above with traction off and get zero spin. (578rwhp 10.7’s)
    Last edited by NickGts; 1 Week Ago at 04:17 PM.
    GenF2 30yr Senator
    Previous GenF my15 Gts (fastest stock cam/heads 10.68 @ 130.3)
    Previous VXR8 (vxr
    Previous GTS-r (uk)

Quote Originally Posted by NickGts View Post
    I always found small burnout with traction off, locked in 2nd gear (lever left and select M2)
    After burnout flick gear lever back to normal and re-engage traction.
    I always got best result in tour mode with gear lever in sport.
    Staged with foot brake on and accelerator load rpms to say 1100rpm , on green mash throttle/release brake..

I would get 1.8’s 60ft on streets doing that (FYI I was 29/30 pressures)

You can try traction off but I could never get the lead foot to balance part throttle!!!

FYI burnout doesn’t mean a smoke show!!! A quick scrub more than enough (if when role out you hear rubber sticking noise you good) too many people reckon big smoke is right and frankly you overheat tyres..

Can’t go wrong with auto!!
    Few runs under belt then play with traction etc.
    I found once got drag radials I could do full throttle launches as above with traction off and get zero spin. (578rwhp 10.7’s)
    Thanks for that,hope it all comes together on the night as now the word is out all my mates will be there expecting Great things......... starting to get nervous.........

Thanks for that,hope it all comes together on the night as now the word is out all my mates will be there expecting Great things......... starting to get nervous.........

Being nervous is normal especially your first time out, there is a few things you need to remember and each run you will get better, the best thing you can do is stay as calm as possible.

I remember a mates car he had issues with the throttle closing on him and each time it would throw him off as it would to anyone and he was having a lot of trouble doing the burnout because going from idle to full throttle it would just die on him.

He asked me to drive it I expected it to do the same but I remained calm it did die on me, so I simply restarted the car turned off the the traction control again for 5sec then thought I’ll stall it up to do the burnout that worked no problems at all and ran a decent time. Told him how to do it and he was fine. He took it back to his tuner and they found an electrical fault with his throttle body.

Moral of the long winded story keep calm and you can think much more clearly about what’s happening and how to adjust yourself for it. Listen and feel what the car is doing and make changes based on your judgements, usually your gut is right and you know what you need to do differently to the last pass.

Thread Information