HSV Forum

Page 3 of 4 First << 1234 Last >>
    10,000nm is a crazy claim and it prob has it at the electric motor output shaft with massive battery at massive current loads for prob a second or two but in reality they prob only ever use 1000-1500nm any more on a road car with road tyres is just not going to grip up, if u think about it over 5250rpm torque can never exceed hp so a top fuel dragster with 6000hp cant have more then 6000nm torque and then look at what they have to do to get grip, then think about 4 road tyres with 10,000nm torque not going to happen...

Oldmate,...no worries, interesting times ahead. I can't remember the name of the Tesla owner, but He sure is one committed man.
    Pickles.

Tesla might just market this roadster with the same approach as Ferrari and Mclaren by only building say 500 cars. Than offer them only to existing clients at a million buck a car who have a portfolio of existing Teslaís. That way they can raise a heap of cash. Ferrari are unbeatable at this because itís such a powerful brand. Walk into any Ferrari showroom and try and buy a limited edition vehicle ie F12 tdf or upcoming 488 specialíe even if you have the coin in hand ready to go you canít buy one unless you meet there criteria on that model. For the TDF you had to own four Ferrariís all owned since new. If you flipped it in the sort term for a profit they ban you from buying future limited editions. Now Tesla doesnít have the wow of Ferrari but most people who have brought one are quickly become loyal to the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok now for the real word at least for the present time.

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    0-60mph in 1.9sec
    0-100mph in 4.2sec
    1/4mile in 8.9sec
    Will go over 250mph (400km/h)

Comes out in 2020
    Makes over 10,000nm of torque
    4WD
    1000km of highway driving per charge

This is the prototype and actual released model may go faster.
    Hi GenF-GTS
    Not sure if you meant this as a joke, because I cant see how a car that presumably does the 1/4 mile in under 9 secs, only does 0-100km/h in 4.2 secs. More like 0-100km/h in 2 secs !!
    And 10,000nm, that more that a 20,000HP twin turbine powered Sea King helicopter has.

Anyway, that aside and for general information, lets look at the current reality with EV. As an electrical engineer, having spent the last 30 years of my life and passion in this field, I would be more than happy to drag race one of Tesla's super cars all day. The fact is after 10 runs, the Tesla wont have enough energy left to get home.

The problem with all EV's is that the energy available per unit weight from the currently available battery technologies is still much less than the equivalent energy/weight from fuel. And likely to remain as such for a few years until all those laboratory theoretical battery technologies become a reality.

Tesla (Leon Musk) is great at marketing things, with people believing everything he says. They tell me what a great innovator he is, with the EV and battery technology.

Really? Well I have news for them. Surprise, the first EV was built back in the early 1900 (Um.......118 years ago) and is still operational ! Secondly Tesla has not innovated anything. Tesla's battery technology comes from Panasonic using Lithium based chemistry, nothing new here either.

So whats happened in over 100 years? Battery technology has improved incredibly for sure, but really is this all we can do after 100 years?

Do I like EV cars? Yes I do, but until battery technology reaches or exceeds the specific energy that fuel offers then I cant see what the hype is all about. Also we need to charge these batteries quickly, and for the batteries to not reduce in capacity due to recharging over time, or cells going faulty or even catching fire ! And not to mention the enormous amounts of pollution as a result of the manufacturing process, which if it was made public would make most people cringe!

Having said that, I guess its hype that promotes interest and investment so we can continue the research that this technology urgently deserves.

So while Tesla blows his own trumpet with his cars that can do 0-100 in 1 second !, the truth of the matter is that it is for a very short period, compared to a petrol vehicle that can do that all day long. Oh did I mention the crap he is on about with the long haul battery powered trucks...........really? A quick calculation of battery capacity and weight to achieve this doesn't make sense.

I do hope (expect) that eventually battery technology will reach the same level as fuel, and then in most cases it will be goodbye internal combustion engine. But for the present and near future as far as performance cars go..................its status quo.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter7 View Post
    Hi GenF-GTS
    Not sure if you meant this as a joke, because I cant see how a car that presumably does the 1/4 mile in under 9 secs, only does 0-100km/h in 4.2 secs. More like 0-100km/h in 2 secs !!
    And 10,000nm, that more that a 20,000HP twin turbine powered Sea King helicopter has.

Anyway, that aside and for general information, lets look at the current reality with EV. As an electrical engineer, having spent the last 30 years of my life and passion in this field, I would be more than happy to drag race one of Tesla's super cars all day. The fact is after 10 runs, the Tesla wont have enough energy left to get home.

The problem with all EV's is that the energy available per unit weight from the currently available battery technologies is still much less than the equivalent energy/weight from fuel. And likely to remain as such for a few years until all those laboratory theoretical battery technologies become a reality.

Tesla (Leon Musk) is great at marketing things, with people believing everything he says. They tell me what a great innovator he is, with the EV and battery technology.

Really? Well I have news for them. Surprise, the first EV was built back in the early 1900 (Um.......118 years ago) and is still operational ! Secondly Tesla has not innovated anything. Tesla's battery technology comes from Panasonic using Lithium based chemistry, nothing new here either.

So whats happened in over 100 years? Battery technology has improved incredibly for sure, but really is this all we can do after 100 years?

Do I like EV cars? Yes I do, but until battery technology reaches or exceeds the specific energy that fuel offers then I cant see what the hype is all about. Also we need to charge these batteries quickly, and for the batteries to not reduce in capacity due to recharging over time, or cells going faulty or even catching fire ! And not to mention the enormous amounts of pollution as a result of the manufacturing process, which if it was made public would make most people cringe!

Having said that, I guess its hype that promotes interest and investment so we can continue the research that this technology urgently deserves.

So while Tesla blows his own trumpet with his cars that can do 0-100 in 1 second !, the truth of the matter is that it is for a very short period, compared to a petrol vehicle that can do that all day long. Oh did I mention the crap he is on about with the long haul battery powered trucks...........really? A quick calculation of battery capacity and weight to achieve this doesn't make sense.

I do hope (expect) that eventually battery technology will reach the same level as fuel, and then in most cases it will be goodbye internal combustion engine. But for the present and near future as far as performance cars go..................its status quo.

Cheers
    Read it again.
    It's MPH...0-60MPH in 1.9

Thanks for that info Helicopter7 - very informative......
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Read it again.
    It's MPH...0-60MPH in 1.9
    Yep, I just read it again, you are correct.
    Regardless, 10,000 NM of torque?

Anyway its mostly all academic as nothing in battery technology improvement to the level
    required to manifest this sort of vehicle performance or range will happen by 2020.

Trouble is when we begin to run out of oil, we wont be able to manufacture batteries, catch 22.

Nevertheless, hope the information puts things to rest at least for a number of years to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter7 View Post
    Yep, I just read it again, you are correct.
    Regardless, 10,000 NM of torque?

Anyway its mostly all academic as nothing in battery technology improvement to the level
    required to manifest this sort of vehicle performance or range will happen by 2020.

Trouble is when we begin to run out of oil, we wont be able to manufacture batteries, catch 22.

Nevertheless, hope the information puts things to rest at least for a number of years to go.
    I understand your point and you'd certainly be a lot more knowledgeable than myself on the topic. The great thing about Tesla/Mr Musk is that he really likes proving people/theories wrong

Tesla's new trucks just arnt going to cut it here, he says they are so good going from 0-60mph but who with a truck cares about that, also they have to recharge after 500 miles so try doing the melbourn-brisbane or sydney-perth stopping every 500 miles to charge up, must be a reason why top fuel dragsters havnt tried a electric motor yet ? would only have to last 3 sec...

I think the hg lithium is here now. a work vehicle just had 4 of these computerised batteries fitted hard part was car computer liking the battery computer the battery specs are NOT believable but true also $12,500 for four not inclding 'car' alternator mega upgrade and computer system.
    I will buy a tesla type car and plug it into our roof full of solar panels. You are right though the petrol engine is not going away like the tesla horse and cart story, the aust manager told me last year.
    Now wheres my horse.
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 31-01-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Thread Information