HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

Walkinshaw W547 - Mixed Feelings

Hi all, I just had the W547 package installed on my vf r8. And whilst the power is ridiculous, I'm really struggling to put it down. I'm thinking its the original continentals on the car, they have 15k on them and good tread left, but before I go put something else on (pilot super sports perhaps), is that the real weak link in my setup? Rest of the car is completely stock. Will tyres make a big difference or do I need a different suspension setup? Appreciate any experienced thoughts. Note its purely a street car, no track or drag.

Cheers

I got a few more neds than you but I found the pilot super sports in combination with a decent geometry setup took the car from a death trap to something you could keep in a straight line.

The stock wheel alignment is not the best for front tyre wear or straight line grip.

Michelin's are the go and once you burn the wax off them you can almost get them to stick from 60km upwards depending on the surface.

Before hand i was getting spin at 80km plus with the continentals.

How the hell you have good tred left on them at 15k is beyond me but don't worry when you swap over and get it aligned it will be like a new car.

Just make sure you take it to somewhere they know what they are doing, it might cost you more but its worth it.

The Contiís on my GTS looked like they had heaps of tread left at 15k but they had gone hard and didnít have any grip left in them. Put some new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

This is the problem when chasing big hp - you end up compromising the car and it can be difficult if not impossible to overcome. I had a well modded Turbo 6 Falcon that was scary as hell in any condition than absolute dry with warm tyres on a grippy straight road.

I'd look at trying to fit the widest rubber you can on the back to try and get some traction back. Also, perhaps you can get the transmission (if its an auto) remapped to make life a little easier on a launch - even going from second gear helps quite a bit.
    My Rides: 2013 VF SS Auto Sportswagon in Nitrate (OTR CAI, Headers, Brembo 4 pots all around, DBA T3 rotors, Paddleshift kit, Bilstein shocks on King springs);
    2014 Gen F HSV GTS Auto in Sting Red (stock for now)

Thanks for the responses guys. Seems consensus is tyre change will make a big difference.

The contis have good tread left but as suggested feel rock hard.

So Michelin it is - what's the difference between the pilot super sport and pilot sport 4s

Also, stock width is 275, whats the max I could go to without deforming side walls. Have the optional forged rims on the car if that helps.

Thanks

Whilst most people associate wider tyres with more grip, you're actually reducing the weight per square inch on the tyre so you may actually get less traction. A better tyre rather than simply a wider tyre is often the better choice.

The PS4S is a good option if you can find them.

Thanks for the advice white_lie.

Did some research on the pss vs ps4s - definitely going the ps4s, stock size it is.

I bought some hankook ventus semi slick on Thursday and today in Melbourne it was raining heavy in the morning. I couldn't say they are any worse or better in the wet than the super sports they replaced.
    BUT in the dry they absolutely hose the super sports,cornering, straight line , no noticeable difference in time till there warmed up, absolutely awesome. They will wear quicker but at 1200 the set if I only get 4000ks instead of 6000ks I'll be happy

Camaro ZL1 and Shelby Mustang GT350 are running 305 and 315 rears respectively. While I agree that tyre quality is very important there is a lot to be said for contact. Those cars are hiting 0-60mph times of 3.5 seconds from rear wheel drive cars. That's impressive times.
    My Rides: 2013 VF SS Auto Sportswagon in Nitrate (OTR CAI, Headers, Brembo 4 pots all around, DBA T3 rotors, Paddleshift kit, Bilstein shocks on King springs);
    2014 Gen F HSV GTS Auto in Sting Red (stock for now)

You can fit 305 on the Ve-vf. I've got Koya rims with 305 rears for track. Haven't tried them yet but will do a back to back when I hit the track.

Thread Information