HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

HSV Value hike - data ...

Okay so Im a universal car racer collector guy with a lot of cars of various makes. 3 or 4 Holdens in that. For a year or 2 I was watching the VZ HSV GTO's on the market waiting for a bargain. Recently I noticed the clearance rate was going up, ie they were selling, and the prices were going up too. Especially for the last of the crop, the 06 Ls2 with low kms. Now the earlier models are pulling up in price too. So I bought one. What a great car! Underpowered (Im used to race cars) but for a street car, very good, love it. The info I have collated as a buyer is based on actual recent sales. It shows best dollars for totally unmodified cars, meaning ppl are buying to collect/investment stock. That's a Holden closing thing. Best $ on 06 ls2 changing hands at about 55k less about $5k per 40kklm. 05's same slightly lower. Earlier ls1 cars slightly lower again, but holding strong. Modified harder to sell/find a buyer, but mods seem well accepted and not a big negative for price. So basically if you are selling at the moment, happy days....

You've chosen well.
    We bought a VZ GTO new with optional AP 6 piston brakes, yellow with yellow trim, auto, with roof spoiler, it is the yellow VZ GTO featured in Norm Darwin's book, Monaro Magic.
    I've always said that the VZ GTO is a magic car, the only coupe with the 6L LS2 engine, & just a lovely smooth car to drive.
    IMHO they are well under priced at the moment.
    Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    You've chosen well.
    We bought a VZ GTO new with optional AP 6 piston brakes, yellow with yellow trim, auto, with roof spoiler, it is the yellow VZ GTO featured in Norm Darwin's book, Monaro Magic.
    I've always said that the VZ GTO is a magic car, the only coupe with the 6L LS2 engine, & just a lovely smooth car to drive.
    IMHO they are well under priced at the moment.
    Pickles.
    There was a 1 owner example for sale here in Newcastle about 8 months ago for $36k
    Manual with approx 170,000 km's.
    The car looked great in the add - no mods, 100% original.
    I procrastinated for 5 minutes and missed out
    I don't think I'll ever see an LS2 version, 1 owner, again at that price.......
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    There was a 1 owner example for sale here in Newcastle about 8 months ago for $36k
    Manual with approx 170,000 km's.
    The car looked great in the add - no mods, 100% original.
    I procrastinated for 5 minutes and missed out
    I don't think I'll ever see an LS2 version, 1 owner, again at that price.......
    170,oooks,......DON'T BUY IT,...why would you?
    Pickles.

Pickles.
    Because he wants one and probably fits his budget
    Toy - VS11 at VT Maloo #082 in Diablo Red
    Toy - 1997 30th Anniversary EL GT

** looking for devonish (VN Group A shape) front seats

Pickles.
    Mileage doesn't worry me - I fix them for a living.
    When I sold my VC late last year it had nearly 300k on the odometer - drove better than new...
    With preventative maintenance they are fine.

Attaboy and yeah+2. If you are comparing car KKlm divide by #cylinders then x4 to average out transmission ratios - its the number of revolutions that affects engine wear. Modern engines are amazingly better than 70-90's tho, basically twice as good (half of which is quality improvement, half overdrive gearing). So modern big V8 properly maintained, I would have thought 300kklm is around where you would start thinkin iffy maybe that's worn. I have a Toyota V8 @230kklm and am just stunned how crisp and maintenance free it still is. Had a 150kklm Holden VY with the buick iron bloc 3.8 6cyl Ecotec in it. Uber tough cookie that. Modded to genuine 350kw @15psi boost. 200kg lighter on the front axles than a v8. Wicked car on the track. Beat nearly all Porsches and even a McLaren one day. In a 6 cylinder Holden auto trans.

I suppose we have to compare apples to apples, but a Toyota Landcruiser diesel (not Hilux) will go
    to 4 - 500,000 km's on an engine/driveline..

I know an LS engine wont do that - but I'm seeing the very last VZ LS1's going to 300k without problems.
    GM seemed to have sorted oil leaks & lifters etc out by then. (VZ on)
    So, if a second hand, high km, VZ or after HSV came on the market for the right price I would certainly consider it.

I'm probably in the minority also, but I've bought non matching number cars.
    Cars that have had police numbers issued to them, or engine change etc.
    As long as the seller had proof the car was original, and the pre purchase checks that I do all add up,
    and the price is correct, I'll buy the car.

I know other blokes would never, ever consider a high km, once stolen car.
    But that leaves all these cars for blokes like me

I bought an immaculate EL GT Falcon that was a country sales rep car from new. 250,000km by 5 years old. Its 20 years old now and still crisp and clean. Doesn't miss a beat. I know cars with a 10th of these km that arent as reliable. 3 things aren't original on it. Tyres, exhaust and radiator cap
    Last edited by HSVGTS125; 1 Week Ago at 11:18 AM.
    Toy - VS11 at VT Maloo #082 in Diablo Red
    Toy - 1997 30th Anniversary EL GT

** looking for devonish (VN Group A shape) front seats

Pickles.
    Are you not all there?
    Ben
    1978 Firebird Formula 6.6L W50
    2002 HSV Clubsport R8 255

Thread Information