HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Question LSA Conversion into Current Grange

Hi fellas

Hired a Caprice last week and was very impressed with the room it offered as too features. Been looking at getting a second hand 1-2yr old HSV Grange. Has anyone put an LSA into one yet? If so any issues/problems? How much different is the floor pan of the "whales" over the normal sedans as I ask for the sake of considering an entire LSA rear end conversion too. IMO I think a Grange with a worked LSA, decent auto, LSA rear end with GTSR brakes would make a nice vehicle. Anyone done similar? Just doing the homework first.

Thank you

2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!

Like all models that weren't designed for the GTS rear end, you'll have to pull the wheel well out to allow room for the diff.
    Custom tailshaft for the longer wheel base I'd imagine? No idea if you can chop and change them to suit the ends required or if the ends are even different.

Easiest option from my perspective would be an LSA conversion, add the brakes and maybe the stronger auto. Rear end I'd leave but fit a truetrack or similar. The Harrop ones won't have an issue with 500rwkw.

Sounds cool! If it's just a cruiser, then a stock LSA paired with the factory Grange gearbox and diff would be a lot easier than trying to replace the entire driveline with GTS kit
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

used to have the chance to run around in the boss' Grange (and run him around too as required)
    until earlier in the year, I sold it ( as he was retiring due to ill health)

would have to agree a LSA engined version would be rather nice

the only thing that turns me off would be the low rent seats...
    Calais seats in a Grange do not do it any favours
    Last edited by Smitty; 12-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    used to have the chance to run around in the boss' Grange (and run him around too as required)
    until earlier in the year, I sold it ( as he was retiring due to ill health)

would have to agree a LSA engined version would be rather nice

the only thing that turns me off would be the low rent seats...
    Calais seats in a Grange do not do it any favours

How tall are you Smitty? I've had other people say the same thing about the seats. I didn't have any issues when I drove a standard Caprice last week but the huge backseat room will come in handy for my boys. I have a 3yr old who is already 1.25m and a 1yr old who is a 1mtr.

You won't be short on room but as said, they're a pretty povo seat for a top of the range car...you'd want some GTS seats in there as well but I guess they're too "sporty" for the Grange

Youd want the GTS seats in there. When I drive my GTS and then step back into my SSV it feels like Im sitting on dining chairs in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

We did a family road trip in our gts 9000 and the seats were great.
    I was thinking of gts seats in our last grange the seats are memory with 2 priority keys
    So just have the sides redone at a cost thought.
    The lsa is selling cheap now hsv did not fit it into the whale due to bonnett high and the huge cost r n d and adr $1m? front bar etc few sell each year funny u can still get a new one fact. Stock or SV. at least they mostly made black whales!
    I also limed the 3 dvds tri a/c and huge huge boot that front bar is soo old but. Cheers
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 12-10-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_02 View Post
    We did a family road trip in our gts 9000 and the seats were great.
    I was thinking of gts seats in our last grange the seats are memory with 2 priority keys
    So just have the sides redone at a cost thought.
    That's a fair point, you might have to use Senator seats. They'll have the same electronic memory and whatnot as the Grange...or retrim the whole lot, wouldn't hurt to make the rears a bit more fitting too

Thanks guys. Hmmmm that's interesting Andrew so the engine bay of a Grange is lesser in height than that of the other Commodore models? I'd actually look at getting the seats retrimmed and do something custom but definitely in the rear.

My main concerns is the rear end wanting to fit GTSR hubs to accommodate the GTSR rear brakes. I wish I had of grabbed a white SV when they were released. I really think with a good set of 20" wheels and some proper suspension work it would be a nice weapon. Awesome long range cruiser with power when it's required. Did the Grange have MRC too?

Thread Information